1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Berman: Astros offering Carlos Correa a 5 year/160 million dollar contract

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaBeard, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

He was gone anyways but see ya.

desihooper and marks0223 like this.
  3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

All but confirms Correa wasn't getting offers close to what he wanted.

5. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Boras does represent a couple of Astros: Tuve, Bregs, and LMJR. So there's that..

RKREBORN likes this.
  6. Major

Major Member

It could also have to do with MLBPA having issues with and complaining about his previous agency buying a bunch of minor league teams last month. No idea what impact that might have, but there are some things that recently changed with his previous representation.

ROCKSS likes this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This is pretty much all anybody can read into this at this point.

Boras has far more experience of getting teams to perceive there’s a bidding war when there really isn’t. He also has usually negotiated opt-outs and incentives moreso than any other high profile agent… I’ve been saying for awhile that whoever is team Correa should be angling for two big payouts, not just one.

An opt-out after 3 years, after already getting a huge AAV, will put him in position to make even more overall $$$… even if he does have some time missed due to injury.

What Boras was able to do for JD Drew is a textbook example of why agents are worth their commission.

8. CinematicFusion

Also pretty much confirms he isn’t going back to Houston.
    Correa looking for biggest payout all time for SS.
    Astros won’t touch 10 years.

9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Boras represents Seager too, do he might be wanting to beat that contract and probably Lindor's too. IIRC, he didn't include an opt out in the Bryce Harper 13-year deal. Wonder who is out there to ante up: Cubs, Dodgers, Tigers, Yankees?

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're right about Boras....this will certainly expedite a deal getting done. I believe our chances of keeping CC just increased.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I too think it’s possible Correa signing with Boras increases the odds he comes back to Houston. Boras is a terrorist but he gets his clients what they want, and he has had good relations with the Astros over the last 5 years. But I think this is more a result of the other agency being involved with minor league teams than anything. Pretty sure the union advised Correa to move on.

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Plowman and Snake both think this means the odds are greater in favor of Astros than before. I respect both of your opinions. Why do you think that? Will Boris push less years at higher aav? I don’t know how Boris could change the Astros aversion to a ten year contract.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I personally think Correa prefers to stay in Houston. I think Boras improves his chances of getting that outcome. I still think the overall odds favor him signing elsewhere because I think some team will step up with an offer that dwarfs whatever Houston offers, but Correa signing with Boras helps Houston a bit.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Thanks for the reply.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

arkoe likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He's the best at getting top free agents monster deals. He's overplayed hands on lower tower players.

Nook likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

That's interesting because right before the lockout his people were saying $400,000,000.

They were pretty clear in wanting and expecting quite a bit more than Seager, and honestly he is better than Seager.

The Dodgers and Yankees both are possibilities.... If I had to guess I think the Dodgers may decide to go after him, especially with it likely the Bauer money will be off the books with an MLB suspension and they have lost two true stars this winter.

rockbox likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Willim Morris tried to get into baseball, with mixed results. Now their head baseball guy got hired as GM for the Mets and due to the aforementioned milb stuff they're about to be decertified by mlb and/or the union.

I wouldn't read much more into this.

Snake Diggit and Major like this.
  20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I always though NYY was the favorite even when people were dismissing it. They've never been shy about offering big money to long term centerpieces in critical positions and SS is as critical as they come. However, with the Dodgers losing Seager, I can totally see them spending big money on the Correa. I can also see the Yankees prioritizing the SS position over resigning Aaron Judge. He's a right fielder and as good as he is, you don't pay big money to right fielders.

Nook likes this.