1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons "seriously injured" in car crash

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Josh Smith, Jan 20, 2020.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why does he need to parlay anything? His contract is guaranteed he has 25M coming to him no matter what so no need to be drep fed millions for life he will get his 25M for the year. He can use the lawyer as an excuse to not show for the final year of his contract anymore, but if he does that he has 0 chance to sign with another team again. Thats like 3M in the bank every year not every player wants to do early retirement without checking if some team would still get them.

He can hire a big name attorney to file for lifetime earnings but that would only work if the opposite is also a high roller and can afford paying legal damages. Otherwise Parsons would just get a paper settlement award that wont translate IRL and would just end up paying top dollar for nothing.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

In my 30 years of being a Rockets fan I don't think I rooted for an ex-player to fail in the NBA as much as I did with Parsons after he left Houston.

AXG, kdchilds and palmsnbananas like this.
  5. Mr. Turbo

Mr. Turbo Member

???

6. steddinotayto

It's definitely weird and probably wrong, I'm willing to admit that, but the way he left and how his demeanor changed was just amazing to me. I loved the effort and heart he showed when he came into the league and, in my eyes, all of that just went away after he left for Dallas. Don't get me wrong--I NEVER wanted the guy to get hurt or anything like that to happen.

slothy420, Nook and jcmoon like this.
  7. mig0s

mig0s Member

He left for more money, like most NBA players would do. His best seasons were with us and we had him for real cheap

8. steddinotayto

True on both statements, however, most wouldn't have taken a photo with another team's owner in the club in this douchiest manner possible. Again, it's weird and (probably) wrong to have held it against Parsons but that's how I felt. The fact that he also went to a rival at the time didn't help either.

clos4life and J.R. like this.
  9. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

And then he left for Dallas and bought into the Dallas good Houston bad line, threw Houston under the bus and once he got paid, stopped working for his paycheck.

#129 burnshroom, Jan 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    slothy420, Easy, clos4life and 3 others like this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

“It’s cleaner here,” Parsons said. “It’s just like a nicer, cleaner city. In downtown Houston, there’s not much to do. It’s just businesses, and it’s just kind of dirty.”

"Honestly, I was offended by the whole process," Parsons told Yahoo! Sports on Monday. "They publicly said that they were going out looking for a third star when I thought they had one right in front of them. I guess that's just how they viewed me as a player. I don't think I've scratched the surface of where I can be as a player and I think I'm ready for that role.

"You can't knock them for always trying to get better. [Houston general manager] Daryl Morey is very aggressive, is a genius, a great GM and I have nothing but respect for those guys. And they are looking to make their team better. That's what they were doing. I just thought I could be that guy that could do that."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jcmoon, BigM and KingCheetah like this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

"They publicly said that they were going out looking for a third star when I thought they had one right in front of them"
    _______

Oof.

Jontro, Nook, jcmoon and 1 other person like this.
  12. steddinotayto

In hindsight he thought/was wrong.

Jontro, jcmoon and ElPigto like this.
  13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Wow I know it's a shame that he got hit by a drunk driver, but him retiring while settling for a "substantial" amount doesn't sit right with me. His NBA career was over with or without the accident. Once again, he has received an unfair amount of money. It started with Cuban and then especially the Grizzlies contract, and now this settlement.

Wouldn't be surprised if he had to retire as well due to the settlement. In the end he chose money over giving it another shot at playing in the league.

jcmoon likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has retired from the Pump fake.

RIP.

Nook likes this.
  15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see what's the big deal. He sold himself as a great player and two teams fell for it and paid a lot of money to get his services. Who knows where his career was headed (likely down the drain), doesn't mean he would not have had a few stints elsewhere in the world to continue making money.

RedRedemption likes this.
  16. Juxtaposed Jolt

Agreed with @mig0s. Dude was a 2nd round pick (which was probably disrespectful enough to him, already) and then he felt even more disrespected by the Rockets' FO.

I don't blame him for leaving for 1) more money and 2) an owner / FO who appeared like they cared more. iirc, at the time, Lin/Harden/Asik were more important than Parsons.

Hell, I'd have done the same thing - get my paycheck and then coast. Still don't get why Memphis signed a declining Parsons to 4/94M though.

We like to meme about Westbrook and Wall, but was Parsons' Memphis contract, the worst contract in the history of the NBA?

jcmoon and steddinotayto like this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

Lets not forget Memphis wasn't the only team offering him max at the time, Portland did too

clos4life, Nook and ElPigto like this.
  18. Juxtaposed Jolt

IMO the Mavs' contract wasn't unfair. Dude was 26 or so, at the time of the signing, and was coming off a 17/6/4 season. Plus, you'd be sticking it to a divisional rival by taking away a (at the time) good player. 3/46M for that, plus Parsons was probably going to improve as a player? Good signing.

RedRedemption and palmsnbananas like this.
  19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I still think russ deal is worse because at least parsons didn’t play, russ still plays a lot of minutes so you’re not just paying 40+ but also getting negative value back

20. steddinotayto

Yea I didn't say I blamed him for leaving for more money but rather the way/manner he left the organization. IIRC, the Rockets wanted him back at a decent (e.g. not a lowball) salary but were in the running to get Chris Bosh so they needed Parsons to wait until that was finalized. Of course Cuban and the Mavs came in with a bigger contract and the rest is history. I don't fault Parsons for the money grab but I don't think there was any ill intent on the Rockets/Morey part during that free agency period. Now the comments that were volleyed back and forth between Parsons and Morey (paraphrasing the "You want to be the one that finds the Chandler Parsons...") and Parsons towards the city that gave him his shot at the NBA is what rubbed me the wrong way.

burnshroom and Juxtaposed Jolt like this.