1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I wouldn't put Barnes over Green. if I were to do the draft it would be Mobley, Cade first tier above everyone else.

The thing about Mobley is that his defense is so far and above what a rookie's would be, it's very hard for any rookie to surpass him in terms of team impact. There hasn't been a player like him in a while drafted early on and shinning mainly on defense. I personally don't think Barnes is there yet in terms of impact, his scoring and offense is still very raw as expected.

I think out of the rookies, only Cade has the ability to out impact Mobley in the future, because he's a triple double playmaking threat that also plays really good defense. The only chance Green has to surpass Mobley would be if he actually reaches Lavine level scoring and efficiency while upping his play making.

The whole Mobley thing makes me want to draft Chet if we have the chance just for the defense.

D-rock and Milos like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh no, the crayon eater is lashing out!

You've gotta know that's not going to make me take you seriously. Knuckle draggers seem to think it's an insult pointing out that someone isn't a basically worthless grunt.... if only I spent less time in a SCIF and more time buffing floors and cleaning toilets like the grunts!

You'd probably be better off trying to get back on topic and attempting to argue for your hero Green. You simply aren't cut out for banter.

#1582 Bobbythegreat, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Unlike you I didn't depend on my military experience for career training. It's called the GI bill. I bet my left nut my current career is far more technically challenging than whatever the **** you are doing (mechanical engineering design). Enlisted military experience no matter what the occupation is isn't going to make you a mechanical engineer is it?

A former fobbit with no advanced technical education and you are calling me a "crayon eater". Oh boy.

#1583 fchowd0311, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  4. CXbby

CXbby Member

If you are not a great playmaker and just a scorer, you need to be an impact defender to become a “superstar” or game changer, think Kawhi or Butler, and they even have better feel for the game/passing than Jalen. I think Jalen tops out at a net +0 defender if we are lucky, and it has nothing to do with mentality or hard work, just like I said before the draft, and I think we can all agree now, he’s not the 6’6 wing that we were sold, he’s 6’4 in shoes with an extremely slight frame. With that build you need to be a disruptive steals guy to be an impact defender and Jalen has never been that.

D-rock likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

Did you know Jalen is 19?

No one here knows what level of defender Green will be when he's 25. No one here knows that.

For **** sakes, the dude is at a age where literally can grow more. That's how young he is.

MystikArkitect, xaos and Nelly like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

.... when did I ever say that I depended on my military experience for job training?

See? This is how you end up exposing insecurities by trying to lash out at others. You see how upset you are while I'm just laughing at you for being too foolish to accept my advice and just make an effort to get back on topic?

That's why I say you're not cut out for banter kiddo.

Do yourself and the board a favor and give up this futile attempt at personal attacks and at least attempt to talk about what is being discussed in the thread.

7. fchowd0311

By making the assumption that education and training doesn't exist after life of being a grunt? It tells me that you relied on your enlisted military experience for your career training.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I get that he is 19 and he is turning 20 in a couple of weeks.

But as a basketball player, there are enough people who are projecting careers.

You forgot that high schoolers were going directly to the NBA.......that was a thing.

I did not think back then, oh, he is only 18 and was 17 not long ago, I should think of an excuse for him.

D-rock likes this.
  9. fchowd0311

The sad part is that yes I'm a "kiddo" compared to you in terms of age difference. But you are the one who comes here near daily trying to "trigger people" like a high school age edgelord.

Not only that l, you try to act like you are some machismo bad ass stating how people won't talk to you in real life like they do in message boards implying you are some superior physical specimen who can put people in their place physically. It's so sad.

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

Who we root for should not change what we objectively see. It’s true Jalen didn’t make a great first impression on me when he was talking about max contracts his first interview as a Rocket before he made his first bucket, but he really has grown on me since.

The effort is there, the attitude is good whether he is making threes and dunking or getting blocked and turning it over(can’t say the same for some of his teammates). The feel for the game is lacking and that has always been my concern before the draft, in addition to defense. He has been objectively bad so far, and exposed all of the concerns I had predraft. But at the same time, I think he has shown enough glimpses where you can see what he could be if he puts it together. I do think he will become a good, maybe even great shooter, and overall efficient scorer. He’s a Rocket so I am rooting for him, at the end of the day he didn’t do anything wrong, not like he drafted himself here. I will be critical of management however.

D-rock and DatRocketFan like this.
  11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Jalen was never projected to be Kawhi or Butler, but you are right he will probably never be a super star without playmaking. Without defense and playmaking he can still be a very good player ala Lavine/Booker. There are plenty of all stars guards that average to terrible on defense, it's the playmaking that separates you into a different category.

Scoring/Playmaking/average to bad defense- Harden, Luka, Dame, Morant (remains to be seen), Curry (play making with "gravity")
    Scoring/Defense/above average play making- Kawhi, Butler, PG (not as good of a play maker), Klay (reliant on shooting)
    Scoring/average defense/average play making- Booker, Lavine, Beal

I hope Jalen can be good enough to fall into the 3rd.

Milos and CXbby like this.
  12. ThrillaNManilla

ThrillaNManilla Contributing Member

Bobby, fair enough. I see where you are coming from. My intention was to understand your reasoning. Thanks for the explanation. Feliz año.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not an assumption I made.... it's an insecurity of yours. That's why you got so upset about it.

I don't care at all who you are or what you do, those things are completely irrelevant to me. I only care about the quality of your arguments and banter. And when it comes to that you are lacking.

Now I'm sure you'd love to go on like this all day telling me more and more of your personal insecurities while attempting to lash out at me, but you really should just take my advice and stick to the topics discussed in the thread. Your pathetic attempts at ad hominem attacks will get you nowhere.

14. fchowd0311

Yes you only care about the quality of arguments...

and how you are physically imposing where people won't talk to you in real life like they do on message boards.

Is part of your "triggering people" game plan showing an absurd lack of self-awareness? I only brought up your pog/fobbit ways because you brought up your alleged physically imposing nature and how you are a disabled vet as if that is supposed to que someone in on your physically imposing nature even though you were not a direct combat MOS?

Or is the lack of self-awareness natural and unintentional?

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Exactly. My exact take before the draft was we are taking a Zach Lavine over a Tim Duncan brain in a KG body.

Milos likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

Mobley has no where near the offensive bag that Timmy D had at 19.

Come one dude. That line looked like you attempting to prove you were right with the draft selection. That's not a reasonable take.

DatRocketFan and Nelly like this.
  17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

quite reasonable.

18. fchowd0311

Which is all erased when he goes on to say that Mobley is Timmy D in KG's body.

Like come on...

DatRocketFan likes this.
  19. ThrillaNManilla

ThrillaNManilla Contributing Member

As a veteran myself who worked in Navy Intel, you comes across as very ignorant when it comes to the quality of training in the military. Also, what's wrong with "relying on military experience?" Is your civilian training going to qualify you for a TS/SCI job? Not sure why you are comparing the two careers. They are inherently different. Not sure why you brought up the GI-Bills..

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Right but Mobley is not nearly on par on offense compared to KG, Duncan, AD. You also need super star level scoring to be considered a super star big.

The 3 super star bigs we have today are Jokic, Embiid and AD. All three are very polished scorers. It remains to be seen if Mobley can reach that level.

right now Mobley is making a name for himself with defense and IQ