1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

He may not be here in a month, or he may be extended. You don’t know and I don’t know. But go ahead and convince yourself that a rookie who has a couple assists a game against backups is the future of this team. He may be. I think his ceiling is sky-high. But a fanbase crowing for a backup because he does well in low minutes against backups? Sorry, I’ve seen this movie before. I need Sengun to show me way more before I crown him.

2. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

He's not though, you're talking absolute nonsense. He has the POTENTIAL to be the best player on the Rockets, but it's just patently false to claim he already is. You're moving the goalposts "remove the vets" is just another way of saying "the vets are better than him." If you're not going to be serious, please don't waste my time by quoting me with more inane crap, thanks.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

LOL. Let's do the math.

Wood played 33 minutes, which is about 69% of the game time.
    The Rockets took 76 shots. 69% of that is 52.
    Let's see how many shots Wood took. 15 plus 7 FTs = 18.5 shots

No, he didn't "nearly take every single shot while out on the floor." Let's not exaggerate. I get why people don't like Wood. I don't like him either. But He is currently our second best player. Our best player is Eric Gordon. Interestingly we want to get rid of both guys to ensure a max chance of getting the top pick.

The "empty stats" thing has a little bit merit but is greatly overblown by his hater.

NewAge and Salvy like this.
  4. Salvy

Salvy Member

You aren't that important, no one is wasting your time.... I'm sure there's plenty of it, there 100's posters whose opinions are better than yours even if I don't agree with them.... Its amazing how you try and prop yourself up to be important when you really actually aren't.

Sengun has a wider skillset than Gordon and Wood.... Would probably score more and have better stats if he got to play more minutes. This is not based on fantasy, I'm not creating an alternate universe. I see it. Many people see it. This is not a player only fandom, or Rocket only fans that see it. My streams always end up having the opposing teams broadcast, you know who they rave about? Green and fing Sengun......

The only vet I remove because he is actually better than Sengun is Wall, a former all star that can still ball.... I don't remove him for convenience I remove him because he is not in The Rockets future plans. Neither is Gordon or Wood....

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Wood taking more shots would be fine if it was simple attemptse off of pick and rolls and lobs. He gets those shot attempts by isoing out and stagnating the offense.

Dude refuses to do anything on offense that isn't isoing out. He just sets terrible screens so our pick and roll game with him is near non existent when it should be used a lot more because Wood's skillet outside of setting screens is a perfect for a roll threat.

6. Salvy

Salvy Member

I agree, the empty stats thing is getting overblown. While its premature to crown a 19 yr old as the better player I don't think its without foundation either thou. I normally never defend players and I have been here for quite a long time. I think Sengun has it, if he does not end up the best player I wont be hurt to be wrong. As long a great player comes out of our rookie class I'm going to be ecstatic.

#766 Salvy, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    Easy likes this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Saying Wood has "meaningless" 20/10 games in order to prop up Sengun who by all accounts would probably also have "meaningless" games vs starting front courts is raising a non sequitur argument when you dont incorporate the full roster and peripheral pieces into the debate. This team is flawed in many facets and I'd love nothing more than to see Sengun given a starters role to see how he would fare. Again he needs to get in better condition and learn how not to give up fouls in bunches. Playing time alone doesnt heal a conditioning issue - his ass should be busting out gassers and suicide sprints en masse.

Im totally over Wood, but he is a legitimate starting big man in the NBA and is strides above Sengun both as a scorer, rebounder and even on defense. Sengun is a phenomenal passer and a marginally better offensive post player. The finished product Sengun COULD BE is very promising and deserves optimism, but no need to invent narratives in order to do so.

dmoneybangbang, Dobbizzle and Easy like this.
  8. Salvy

Salvy Member

While Sengun could be very promising there is also no need to pin him up against vets who have hit their ceilings already.

9. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Do you think I read that, honestly? I told you not to waste my time with your inane ramblings.

10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Dude's literally r****ded. There's no other explanation for it.

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

What does Wood have to be brought into every convo about Sengun.

Sengun was just bad last night in the second half. Back to back to back mindless TO's, no real passes (not entirely his fault but still).

I think teams have scouted him more now and defending him differently. They are no longer guarding him at the 3 point line, so the lane gets really crowded and he can't just dribble past the big men like he used to.

I also don't think his low post scoring is as consistent especially matched against stronger players.

dmoneybangbang and Dobbizzle like this.
  12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

He hasn’t been playing well for a while now even before the injury. Not sure what the issue is. Seems like his moves are predictable now and teams are locked in on his game, which means he has to adjust. And he hasn’t. Guys are pushing him out of position. He stands outside his post up spots and elbows. He gets stripped a lot and turns the ball over quite often now. His adjustments and response to opponents knowing his game will define him.

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

imagine how jalen green would have looked if he were to play 12 minutes a game and half of his shots were silas trying to set him up for postups to expand his game
    bwhahahahhahahahahh!!
    [​IMG]
    stay in denial knee jerkers, silas enthusiasts!

Salvy likes this.
  14. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Blasphemy! Sengun is the best player on the team and can do no wrong. He would definitely have dominated every player on the opposition if they played him 36 mins a game but it's all Silas' fault! /s

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So then what exactly is your gripe? He needs more playing time everyone universally agrees with this, but he also needs to play smarter in that time. You made a statement that said Sengun is a better player than Wood and that simply is not the case at the present.

16. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Don't get to watch many games, but all I see is a skilled player with physical limitations. Not too big, long, strong, fast, athletic, etc. Hope I'm wrong.

I think it matters because every great player is elite in at least one area of athleticism. Even someone like Jokic has elite hands, feet, strength, coordination, vision. Does Sengun project to develop athletically in any area?

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

His body definitely will improve. He's still 19. I don't doubt his physical tools will improve by the time he's around 22 years of age.

Guys, Green and Sengun are literally teenagers. We have to keep that in perspective.

AroundTheWorld and JumpMan like this.
  18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I don't think I'm r****ded. It's just my opinion when saying woods 20/10 games r pointless is i don't see his type of playstyle will lead us to wins hence pointless.

I using it more as a reasoning to state y it will b extremely foolish to spend max money on wood. I think as of right now woods is better, but I rather trade him for assets.

It's my opinion that sengun playstyle is more team friendly.

19. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

One thing both of them have with their youth is swag. They do look the part even if they kinda don't physically at the moment. We'll see.

AroundTheWorld and fchowd0311 like this.
  20. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Sengun has got to develop not just a decent jumper, but a good one. Due to his lack of size for the 5 and the lateral quickness needed at the 4 he is a bit of a tweener. A good jump shot would help his game tremendously. As would better help defenders and a better overall defensive philosophy for the team. He has the skills and the IQ to match, but it's too soon to tell what his ceiling will be. First things first. Start dropping the shots 5ft and out.

Verbal Christ and Milos like this.