1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Green going back to being efficient, as predicted. Couldn't watch the game, how was his defense compared to previous game?

2. NewAge

NewAge Member

ouch!1 pawnage!

3. NewAge

NewAge Member

you’re pretty dumb, you know. The -18 rating is with Green on the floor. The Rockets without Green are something like -2, IIRC. So taking Green out is addition by subtraction. Then, if you add a positive impact player, you get even better.

(waiting for the "but he’s only 19" shitstorm)

4. NewAge

NewAge Member

you guys are ridiculous. how is grabbing a key offensive rebound to win the game NOT development? The kid finally has positive winning impact and you’re unhappy

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Taking Green out means the opposing bench is playing.

You are bad at utilizing context. Hence why his +/- numbers are going to look worse than the rest of the rookies on this team because the rest of the rookies plays against the opposing second units.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It was not bad he had some solid stops. Could always improve, but effort was there

Mathloom likes this.
  7. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Who said I’m unhappy with his development? I said I’m unhappy with how he’s utilized in the fourth quarter. I don’t think the future go to scorer of our team when we’re supposed to contend should be relegated to standing in the corner. He literally had no touches or actions run for him in the entire fourth quarter.

As DD pointed out it’s vital to see what KPJ and wood are at this time so I conceded that point. I don’t think they’re better at winning us games as evidenced by their atrocious play in crunch time (one shot doesn’t negate all the turnovers and decision making) but I agree it’s vital to understand who they are and if they have a role for the future.

I still think we should let Green touch the ball at least or run some kind of action. Suggs gets touches. Mobley gets touches. Mitchell gets touches. Dosunmu gets touches. Cade gets touches. Wagner gets touches. Giddey gets touches. Im not saying give him the ball, pound the rock and let him get every shot. Im saying run an action for the guy so he feels involved. Are we trying to replicate harden ball with KPJ? Have some kind of offensive system so everyone can play.

conquistador#11 and NewAge like this.
  8. NewAge

NewAge Member

I think that part in bold is the key. For Green you need to give him the ball in a position to attack the basket or explode to the basket. You do need some kind of action. When they just give him the ball he’s pretty ineffective. Weaving and probing the offense is not his thing. @foggy94 had a nice writeup on that. You need to design sets that make life simpler for Jalen. But in NBA it is very common for sets to fall apart in the 4th qtr, even for good teams. I see nothing wrong with Jalen being an outlet in crunch time. Hopefully he’ll continue to make off-plays like yesterday.

foggy94 and BallaDoc like this.
  9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

He literally shot 4/14 and 5/18 in his last two games prior to this one.

"going back to being efficient"

hahahahah oh Clutchfans never change.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would argue that he would require at least 2+ plus seasons of solid shooting to say he is going back to being efficient at shooting.

He does not have that luxury.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Green Haters:

[​IMG]

12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

people so caught up in the past they can't enjoy the present. when have you ever seen a rocket do that??

and look at who he just blew by, Fox, who is argubaly the fastest player in the league.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Whats going on is a fascinating study on negativity bias. Those loudest of the haters slinking off in real time to drop subtle "support lines" while just waiting for the next time to be toxic! Enthralling!

Mathloom and conquistador#11 like this.
  14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

And he was 6-12 in the game before that. If you want to be pedantic, before his 4-14 and 5-18 games, he was averaging 46/41/84 (10 games) at TS 62%.

Going back to efficient is exactly what he was doing.

Mathloom and vator like this.
  15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yes I do think he was drafted too high, but that doesn't mean he's not a really good prospect. Giannis was still a really good high upside prospect even though he wasn't drafted as a top 10 pick. That was because there was no evidence to show his competitiveness, and there was the assumption that his actual skills were going to need to be developed all the way around. The scouts got it wrong with Giannis of course, but the draft analysis just shows why teams normally would make decisions to take a player like him later because of the assumption of needed development on core skills and lack of evidence to prove how they actually play (mental knowledge of the game, craftiness, competitiveness, etc.)

So my only point is that now after stepping back from it, it's clear to me that Jalen Green in a normal draft would be viewed more as a high upside unknown as an on the court player where teams would assume he needs all around development... therefore he'd normally go a little later in the lottery or just outside the lottery.

And no, Corey Brewer gets mentioned because of his core skill of fast breaking which was his primary skill that kept him in the league. Corey Brewer was not really a basketball player. He was a track sprinter that happened to be in a basketball game. He accounted for at least 3 "free" possessions a game for his team that they normally wouldn't get, and had real value even though his overall skillset sucked, and was never really developed.

Right now it's clear to me that Jalen's skillset is more Corey Brewer than Kobe Bryant, and guys... THAT'S OKAY. It's not a knock on Jalen, but it's a realistic situation appraisal that should tell the Rockets that he needs to be in Houston during the offseason putting in work with the best that the NBA has to offer to develop these skills, and they have to hope that Jalen has that inner motivational factor that allows him to develop mentally as a player the way Giannis did. That's where influence really pays dividends and it might be good for him to hang around people like Chris Paul rather than Christian Wood.

Was he drafted too high.... IMO yes. Could we still be looking at a potential All-Star in the future... IMO yes. No need to get all worked up about it. The Rockets just have ALOT of work to do with him over the next two Summers, and we have to hope that he develops the more mental aspect of being a great player.

NewAge likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I get your sentiment but was Kobe Bryant at 19 closer to prime Kobe or Corey Brewer?

SamFisher likes this.
  17. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Green is already elite at getting past the defender without a screen. I don‘t know why we don‘t work on that more - give him pick and rolls to make it easier and work with him on either finishing through contact or finding the open man when the help defender comes. Seriously he gets by his man with ease, that should be one of our go-to plays each and every game. Good things happen when you get past your defender - and worst case scenario, he should learn from his mistakes.

This would also give him easier shots from 3pt range and help the team as a whole. We really need to make Green a focal point in our offense (as in him touching the ball on most posessions) - not because it makes us better today necessarily but because it should improve us in the long run.

cheke64 likes this.
  18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think Jalen Green has already created more points this season than Brewer in his entire time with Houston lol. I honestly don't remember Brewer ever handling the ball in the half court, he is purely a slasher/catch and shoot player. Just different type of skill sets all together.

Jalen Green remind me more of first 3 years of Derozan's career, only difference is that Derozan couldn't shoot at all, but is stronger than Green. Derozan for a while solely relied on his athleticism to get to the rim, mostly dunks, limited variety in finishing at the rim. They also rebounded and assisted around the same rate, with Green slightly better in the assist department.

It took a while for Derozan to slow the game for himself and develop a bag of tricks to score instead of just straight line to the hoop on every possession.

dmoneybangbang and dobro1229 like this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, yes, it's me that doesn't know what I'm talking about here..... guys like Brewer and Green aren't "streaky", instead it's some of the best 3 point shooters in the history of the game that are "streaky".....

Thanks for the laugh.

20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Whether green is a streaky shooter or not its quite up for debate.

The foolishness is considering him to b one after 30 games.

Garrison is streaky as fk, poor on defense, but gets labeled "young star" and none of such bs criticism.

Meanwhile green does exactly the same sht but score more and is considered a bust like before the season even ended.

Some folks just aren't grading green by the same standard as everybody else, and they
    like to pretend they aren't bias.
    Pathetic.