1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fired Culley

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaDakota, Dec 5, 2021.

1. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Except there's very little reason to suspect Caserio is incompetent. He was on the headset in NE too. It's not his fault if he tells Culley to let the Patriots score and Culley can't compute that in his head.

In case you haven't been keeping up, the above in bold is literally EXACTLY what happened in that game.

#581 STR8Thugg, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    whag00 likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Remember, we've been repeatedly told by "informed bbs sources" that Easterby has nothing to do with the on-field product.

Nook, jiggyfly, BMoney and 4 others like this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Not true. He blesses the footballs before every game.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The coach is technically not the on-field product. No one said he didn't have his hand in head coach or GM searches. Caserio will make the hire, but Easterby obviously has McNair's influence, so by default, has a hand in those searches.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I don't feel bad for Culley. Texans gave him a GOLDEN PARACHUTE for his retirement. He can go live on a beach with his wife for the rest of his life.

7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

What? Lol

8. Two Sandwiches

My reaction. They also interviewed Joe Lombardo I heard.

Hines Ward, though, is a college assistant...

9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

upload_2022-1-15_16-7-35.png

10. conquistador#11

Nook and J.R. like this.
  11. Major

Major Member

Caserio hired Culley as well as the entire staff that he wanted to fire this year. Also, pretty sure Bill Belichick doesn't need Caserio's help in the headset and would probably have just been ignoring any advice.

I'm not saying Caserio is incompetent - I'm saying we simply don't know. He had no decision making authority in his 20 years in New England. The only decisions he's made in terms of hiring as a Texan have been flops. He injected himself into on-field decision making that we know was terrible, but we don't know what role he played vs Culley vs Easterby, who also is not remotely qualified to be making on-field decisions.

The 3 people who were making decisions for the Texans this year were a wide-receivers coach, a pastor, and a personnel guy who's never had final say in personnel.

red, Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  12. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Most of the reports about Caserio in NE include him being the #2 behind Belichik. I'm not saying he was barking in Belichik's ear, but it's pretty clear Belichik respected his input, on a number of things from in-game to scouting and everything in between.

It's why he's the GM right now. There are a number of reasons why we should be confident he will succeed.

primtim24 likes this.
  13. Two Sandwiches

I thought I had heard that in New England. Caserio was more of just a listener on the headset, which helped him figure out what types of players they were lacking. In Houston, he has started communicating and giving direction through the headsets.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Who was fired besides Culley and Kelly? I must have missed something.

15. havoc1

havoc1 Member

There is a video out there with him on the headset with the Patriots. If I am remembering correctly he is talking about formations and plays to McDaniels.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Wait, we simply don’t know who he drafted in his first draft? The one with no first or second round picks that netted 5 on field contributors including the 2nd best rookie QB? We need to lean more on whether or not he wore a headset or who he hired as a bridge HC to judge competency? Also, you’re saying every coach he hired has been a flop? Pep Hamilton and Lovie Smith were flops?

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Wtf are you talking about? A coach not having a hand in on field product? Coach is an important part of the on the field product. Just admit that you were wrong again in trying to defend the Texans

Buck Turgidson and J.R. like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

He should have blessed the coach while he was standing there doing nothing

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

JACk EasterBy WIlL NoT bE inVOLved iN ThE Gm seArCh
    NeW gM wIll dEciDe jaCk’S fAte
    JACk EasterBy WIlL NoT bE inVOLved iN ThE Hc seArCh
    jAcK wIll QuieTlY fadE iNtO THE bAckGROunD
    JaCk wIlL gO bAcK tO hIs oLd rOle

Caesar likes this.
  20. Newlin

Newlin Member

Wasn’t Ward the dirtiest player in football, and then was in trouble with the law? Seems odd.