1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's your opinion of John Wall's current ability?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kjayp, Jan 15, 2022.

?

What's your opinion of John Wall's current ability?

1. Don't let the recent tank commander role fool you - dude is an All-Star!

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Obviously he's grossly overpaid - but he's still a really good player!

26 vote(s)
    44.8%
  3. Meh... he's a decent starting starting option for most teams...

19 vote(s)
    32.8%
  4. Idk, I think the dude kinda sucks... he could be a reasonable starter - on a crappy team i guess...

8 vote(s)
    13.8%
  5. He's done... he can be a decent 6th man or bench player on a cheap contract...

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. Straight up scrub - do not want even on a min contract!

3 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

A lot seems to be hinging on John Wall's perceived value as we hope to move him up to the trade deadline...

Obviously he's overpaid... but is there enough there that a team that's on the fringe may be willing to go all in and gamble on him? We'll see... that's our hope i guess...

Personally, I think he's still a really good player - maybe not an all-star but really good. I think we should be starting him. Fk developing KPJ - that went out the door when he did at halftime... I think folks view of Wall may be tainted by his tank commander role - which i think he executed very well. I think with the proper game plan he could be far more beneficial to Greens development than KPJ... At min we should be showcasing him up to the deadline to try to intrigue somebody to gamble on acquiring him....

So the question is how good is he at present - really?

and realizing it cuts both ways... if you think he's a scrub - then you cant be expecting anything but a buy-out at best...

On a side bar... Are we trying to shuffle away a good (but overpaid) player that doesnt fit 'our developmental timetable'? If we can pull another nice pick this year... together with Green, Sengun, JC, asset from Wood, Ego, a solid bench - Tate, KMJ, Gary Bird... wouldnt we want a good veteran pg to run that squad? A lot of opinion seems to be about getting a bunch of guys that are going to 'peak' or come into their own at the same time - i'd think its more about a mix of vets n young 'uns... and it all plays into 'building a culture'... you want vets around to show leadership - not relying on rookies and young pups that are still trying to get acclimated to the life...

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

last year John Wall was terrible…I think he can still be a slightly above average player at best just due to his talent, but that’s about it

No Worries, kjayp and ThatboyPhuong like this.
  3. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

We paying someone $90 million not to play. I think that is a fair assessment of his current abilities.

4. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Grade = incomplete

5. xaos

xaos Member

Better than Westbrook

6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I believe Wall still has most of his natural ability. His explosiveness was still pretty decent last year and given he's another year from the injury he should be even better. He's never been a great distance shooter, but he wasn't terrible despite the rust he was trying to shake off on a really bad team.

With that said, he's probably best suited as the 3rd option on a good team. The Lakers for example would be much better off with him rather than Westbrook.

What team could he fit best with at this point? The obvious team is the Clippers. Given it looks more likely that Leonard will play this year, they're probably still our best option to make a play for Wall. We need Stone to convince them that Wall is worth taking a shot and then breakup his contract and pass along the other pieces or buy them out.

He's only a negative asset because he's not a max player anymore. Apparently there's interest in Wall, without a buyout possibility Stone has to find a trade that absorbs his massive salary w/o costing us precious assets. I hate to see any player set out, so hopefully John gets a shot to play this year.

kjayp likes this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Haven't seen him play in a while. This thread is moot.

Schrodinger Wall could be anywhere on the spectrum of washed Derrick Rose to recent Derrick Rose resurgence to MVP Derrick Rose. Doubt it's the third one, but y'all know what I mean.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'd have to see him play, and I don't think that's part of the plan.
    (assuming there's a plan . . . there must be, right? Right? )

Astrodome, DeBeards and kjayp like this.
  9. bmelo

bmelo Member

I dont understand why he is not playing. KPJ doesnt need starter minutes to evolve and team could use point guard

kjayp and a time to chill like this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

John Wall stays on the sidelines all year - his greatest contribution being his contract keeping the Rockets above the salary cap floor.

There is NO WAY they trade him as there's no single player they bring back who fits their needs.

Any team not named OKC would have to send the Rockets a minimum of $35.44m in salary .... the Rockets have NO Roster Spots so that would have to come in the form of a single contract - Unless you trade someone else and get back fewer players than you send out.
    NO, you can't just waive them - they have to be on the roster before you can cut / waive.

Who are you willing to give up out of the young group just to be able to dump Wall .... For me the answer is none of them. Especially when you realize anyone you do bring back is going to take minutes away from the young guys .... No, Wall can be our most expensive cheerleader and salary ballast keeping us just above the cap minimum all year .....

Maybe we can move him in the offseason when rosters expand to 20 and you can break his contract into smaller parts. If not, expect exactly the same situation next season because trading him in season is infinitely more complicated.

Der Rabbi and abaker28 like this.
  11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

DGAF.

GTFO with your $90 million and out of the way of the youth movement.

12. kjayp

idk... i guess we are gambling that someone's gonna get desperate enough to throw the dice based on his past body of work - seems to be the thought process... I'd think that sure we saw him look healthy at last appearance - but he was in the tank commander role, so i'd have to think his recent #s arent good for the analytics inclined crowd...
    I'd think put him into the starting role, have some key personnel sit with 'injuries' - and you just pump his stat line and efficiencies leading up to the trade deadline...
    Try not to be as blatant as OKC was pumping WBs stat line - but similar... all about getting Wall high % shots...

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I would be surprised if the Rocks went that route, but we'll see. The deadline is starting to get close.

kjayp likes this.
  14. kjayp

idk 1 rando scenario i saw was Bledsoe/Ibaka/MorrisSr... id have to consider that... at least from a flexibility standpoint... If I gotta give up a KMJ or move on from KPJ or whatever there are always moves that could be made... if an opportunity may exist...

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What the heck does a rebuilding team want with Bledsoe/Ibaka/MorrisSr? Particularly the 3 years of Morris contract.

I don't see any upside to that trade.

Give up KPJ and KJM to make roster space.
    Take on three old dudes one of which has a contract longer than Wall and that are going to demand minutes?

Seem's to me you are better off not making those moves and letting Wall be a $44m cheerleader..

16. kjayp

oh i dont expect them to go that route either - but i think they should...
    it's feeling like we're willing to sit and around and 'wait for the process' and just run out Wall's contract while we tank... and thats a reasonable base strategy... but how about going out and trying to improve your situation more by getting him off the books earlier and opening more flexibility?
    idk... just my rambling thoughts... lol

Deckard likes this.
  17. kjayp

far easier pieces to move than Wall's albatross contract...
    Ibaka is expiring... do you think it would be more expensive to dish Bledsoe and Morris' contract than Walls?

18. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Way better than people on CF give him credit for, and most judge him on one season of forcing on his injury comeback year. He's definitely starter quality and by far the best PG we have.

kjayp likes this.
  19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JW's classic brand of losing basketball. And, he'll miss half the season. That contract is a facilitating piece to be used at next year's deadline.

kjayp likes this.
  20. kjayp

reasonable take and game plan imo...
    If he's just to be utilized as a negative value expiring contract next year - whats the risk in trying to create an opportunity now? An injured expiring Rubio and a frp is on the market - is walls contract potentially gonna be much difference than an expiring salary offset? Should we not attempt to throw a few weeks at trying to create some interest and possibly open an opportunity or two now?