1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is the best Eric Gordon trade proposal you can come up with?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 20, 2021.

1. crenshaw

crenshaw Member

Im almost certain that the losing will sour his view of the franchise leadership. He has a history of whining about losing streaks during the harden era. No doubt our current state is getting on his nerves.

2. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the trade that makes the most sense is with Cleveland. I like this as a three-way, or two separate trades:

Houston out: Gordon + DJ Augustin + FRP (via MIA or BKN)
    Houston in: Ricky Rubio + DeAndre Jordan

Cleveland out: Ricky Rubio
    Cleveland in: Gordon + Wayne Ellington

Lakers out: Deandre Jordan + Wayne Ellington
    Lakers in: DJ Augustin + FRP (via MIA or BKN)

Cleveland gets a couple of players to help continue their playoff push.

Lakers get a viable player and a pick that they can package with other players to try to improve their team over all of the minimum contracts currently on their roster (any of which could be substituted for the two players I have used here).

Houston gets two contracts off their books a year early (FRP to Lakers for taking Augustin off our hands), which should open up enough space this summer to offer a contract to a player like Jalen Brunson (or Tyus Jones). I think they need to be aggressive this year, because I am not seeing much that impresses me in the summer of 2023 when they are expected to have a cap space windfall. Better to try to transfer some of that space to this summer to take advantage of better players being available. I also don't see the KPJ experiment ultimately working out, and I think the faster we get these players working with a real PG, the better.

3. xaos

xaos Member

Heck no. Not giving up a first just to get cap space earlier for... Brunson

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't mind the players in this trade but Houston giving up the best player in the trade AND a #1 pick and all we get back is a broken Rubio & a washed up DJ? No Thanks.

Seems to me the pick should be coming from Cleveland TO Houston .... that I could get behind.

5. theDude

Supporting Member

Brunson would be the best, or 2nd best player on the team. And do you think you are getting a player better than Brunson with the 25th pick? We probably just place differing values on that pick.

I wouldn't expect more than a 2nd from Cleveland, but I don't think it's required since we get something out of the transaction, too. And the Lakers are about the only team I can see that would be desperate enough to take Augustine off our hands for a pick. I'm not really looking at the individual pieces, but rather what it culminates in. I would definitely give up Gordon + Augustin + pick #25 for Brunson signed for the next 4 years at under $20m. Granted, the trade only gives us the opportunity to do that, but I think it's worth the gamble.

I see all of these extra picks as pieces used for maneuvering as much as they are for actually selecting players. We've currently got 7 players 21 or under on the roster and we will be adding another one next year with our own pick. We need to start adding seasoned players that will be here for the long run. The KPJ experiment was fine for a tank year, but after this next draft, it's time to start making some actual progress.

Corrosion and ApacheWarrior like this.
  6. TimDuncanDonaut

Not a big fan of that trade. Rockets don't get much out of it and we pay too much. We trade our good vets to help CLE speed up their rebuild and give LAL another shot. In return we don't get a pick nor prospect, just trading two vet guards for a vet guard and a vet big. Cheaper vet big man can also be had for cheap.

clutchdabear and Corrosion like this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I love it and on a great assist by Harden. Thanks for the memory.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

While Brunson is a good player it does not make sense for him.

He is like a younger, PG version of Eric Gordon, he should look to be on a contender rather than on a bad team unless he wants a much bigger contract over contending.

It all depends on what the player wants in the end.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well, I think Brunson is in a place where he will look for the biggest contract he can secure. It isn't like he's been on a max contract and money doesn't matter anymore. But the part I think is wild about TheDude's proposal is that he has us sending out a FRP to take on expirings when there is no guarantee any of the players he is interested in would want to join the Rockets. If Stone gave up a pick and then struck out in free agency that would be an incredibly bad look.

To my mind, any trade involving Gordon better bring back a first round pick - not send one out.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I had a dream last night that he was on the Celtics and in one of his first games was hitting a **** ton of threes.

I only post it here in case it turns out in clairvoyant.

don grahamleone, Corrosion and xaos like this.
  12. theDude

Supporting Member

I generally think Gordon will get us a FRP. But I was suggesting sending out a pick for the Lakers to take on the additional year of Augustine, not an expiring contract. And I’m suggesting all of this in order to try to get in on this year’s free agent class, as I think there are better players to be had this year than if we just wait for everyone to expire in 2023.

Out of curiosity, let’s say we do let Gordon, Wall and Wood stay on the team and simply expire. We would likely have enough to sign two max players. So, which players would everyone like to see the Rockets sign in 2023?

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  13. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

I thought Augustine's contract is not guaranteed for next year?

Corrosion, dmoneybangbang and theDude like this.
  14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The only two UFA’s of any consequence are Myles Turner and Joker. Neither one will be UFA’s by then. Zion is RFA but he will be traded or re-signed as well.

Corrosion likes this.
  15. theDude

Supporting Member

That definitely changes things, if true. If the Rockets can trade Gordon for a player expiring this year, and Augustine comes off the books, they are in good shape to offer a contract up to about $18m. But that’s also where foregoing the pick to the Cavaliers comes into play. Other teams will be trying to give them a guard for a FRP. We could trump them by not demanding the pick. We benefit from the salary dump.

16. theDude

Supporting Member

Exactly. This idea that they need to be free spenders in 2023 does not excite me. It screams of Ryan Anderson type contracts. I think they need to start making moves before then.

BallaDoc likes this.
  17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Ayton+Saric for Gordon+Garuba+Bucks pick.

Corrosion likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Pretty much.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm not hearing a lot of Gordon trade talk

Be prepared to be disappointed fellows.

Think Oladipo return - except that Gordon is actually great this year and LOLadipo has basically been up on blocks in the front yard for 2 years.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-rumors-myles-turner-caris-levert-eric-gordon-bryn-forbes/

Eric Gordon, 33, is shooting career-highs from the field (.505) and three-point range (.455) after two injury-riddled seasons. With Gordon healthy and adding a needed veteran presence to a rebuilding Rockets team, Houston is seeking a first-round pick in trade talks for the veteran scoring guard, league sources told HoopsHype.

Several playoff-caliber teams are monitoring Gordon, as noted on a recent episode of the HoopsHype podcast.

Gordon is on the books for $18.2 million this season, is owed $19.57 million next season, and has a non-guaranteed $20.92 million salary for the 2023-24 season

don grahamleone likes this.