1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fired Culley

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaDakota, Dec 5, 2021.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Lol. Yea it did, Watson relationship with this sht org deteriorated leading to his refusal to ever play with us after this faux gm/hc hiring process.

Him getting exposed for his off season activities further tanked his trade values.

Imagine hiring an incompetent coach just to fire him a year later to considered hiring the same one your qb recommended last year.

Total sht show of a franchise. Watson is wrong for his off field issues but he isn't wrong about how awful the decisions the front office make and he doesn't trust it.

Promoting BoB to gm right after the chiefs playoff meltdown and allowing Hopkins to get traded for Jack sht. Were also factors.

Nook likes this.
  2. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I don't quite get this line of thinking.

Regardless of why Culley was hired, everyone knew that he wasn't the "coach of the future". So what's wrong with letting him go?
    Everyone here also knows he WAS NOT a good coach and had TERRIBLE (if any) adjustments. So what's wrong with letting him go?

If the guy you think can be "coach of the future" is available, don't you make that move? I feel like some of us just want to bash them because they're the Texans, and it's easy, but this wasn't the wrong move. Culley was a fall/bridge guy (which we ALL agreed on), and they let him go to prepare for the true future....

I know I've gotta be missing something....

#502 primtim24, Jan 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    RunninRaven likes this.
  3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Cal was a spiraling alcoholic who appointed his completely unqualified sponsor to Vice President of football operations. This is the kind of organization you get when that’s the leadership.

The Texans can say whatever they want publicly about Easterby but him and Cal are one and the same.

Firing both coaches was the right move. It was an incompetent hiring to begin with but I don’t have a problem with giving them credit for not hanging on even longer.

Watson’s trade demand was 100% because of Easterby. He liked and continues to like Houston. It made no difference who the Texans hired as coach and it won’t matter now either. Caserio needs to crush that trade, the new coach hire and this draft. His clock is really starting now.

Nook and conquistador#11 like this.
  4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's generally frowned upon to sandbag things in pro sports. Especially the NFL, where even the grimmest offseasons can yield playoff berths. I can see why Caserio and company would tank so blantantly, but I can also justify the fans not being OK with it.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

"They run that organization the way you'd run a church or congregation. They're not exactly worried about winning championships. They want to win the right way. … That’s how that organization has been ran since Bob McNair running the show. With Cal McNair taking over, that’s the mantra of the Texans. They want to have the “right people” in place.”

“You have certain people…they believe ‘I’d much rather lose with the “right people” than win with the “wrong guys” or should I say the knuckleheads or bad actors. That’s the mantra. They’ve always been like that and until this ownership changes, you’ll never see a difference within the mindset/ideology down there with the Houston Texans.”

“They’re not gonna get an elite guy. It’s come down to Patriots South and that’s why you hear Jerod Mayo, Josh McDaniels and Brian Flores. That’s why you saw this firing yesterday. We all know Black Monday is when coaches get fired. They fired him on a Thursday. … Now you see Flores available, Mayo emerging as a candidate and then cite “philosophical differences.” Seems they’re really trying to make this Patriots South even though they try to deny it at every stretch.”

— Stanford Routt

6. conquistador#11

So if they hire Flores would they get a pick? DOn't know how that works.
    Does Calhoun give these chowder heads what the Lions gave NE standout Patricia? 2 1/2 years
    Or 7 years to run that Brady offense?

Wade Smith, who I originally thought you guys were talking about, "Smith", made mention of the possibility of Demeco.

7. primtim24

I hear you, the media is gonna rip the Texans for anything. But as fans who pay attention to all this, you would think we would be fine with letting go of a trash coach.

All this means, is that the guy they inevitably bring in better be a SUPERSTAR coach, otherwise we may be set back even longer.

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I think that the Texans firing Culley suddenly booted a bunch of naive fans into realizing that the Texans just completely phoned in last year and had zero intention of competing. Feeling like you just spent a year investing in and following this shitshow only to be told it was all for naught is pretty rough.

I'm struggling to think of any similar circumstance in the history of professional sports. It's really not often that a team hires a freaking fall guy to ride out a crap situation so they can dumpster everything and start fresh a year later.

Even if you think Culley was in way over his head (he was), I felt like he deserved a better chance, and it doesn't feel good to know that this team purposefully hired someone they knew was not worthy of the job.

9. Major

Major Member

Did you have philosophical differences? Out of respect, I don't say. But yeah, we saw things differently.

I thought he was the best fit and believed in him... but then realized he wasn't and no longer believe in him. But it's not for me to judge whether I failed miserably in my hiring choice.

Not only did he fire Culley (which no one really cares one way or another), he threw him under the bus too.

Nook, HillBoy and conquistador#11 like this.
  10. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

A better chance at what though? He’s not an nfl head coach. He came in got the experience of being a head coach made a boat load of cash and now he can go back to doing what he does best in his previous role for a different team. I don’t feel bad for him I doubt if he feels bad for himself. He probably would’ve never gotten the opportunity with any other team in any other situation. I think it worked out pretty well for him.

Slyonebluejay likes this.
  11. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I’m fairly sure caserio isn’t alive but is undead. Like someone that was resurrected in one of easterby’s cult séances.

Major likes this.
  12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I was as bearish on the hire as anyone, however, I want to believe that Culley could have succeeded given a real opportunity. I also want to believe this organization does the right thing by people and always tries to put the most competitive team it can on the field (at least during the offseason, tanking once your season is kaput is a different matter). This was a strike against both of those things.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  13. primtim24

That all makes perfect sense, and I get that. I just am very curious to see who they bring in. Because the hopeful thought from us Texans fans is that they think they have the perfect guy in their sights. But if they end up bringing in Jerod Mayo, that will be a little disappointing. At this point, I'd like to see one of the rumored stud coaches, or even Brian Flores, and I would 100% feel fine with the move.

If it's another retread, or a underwhelming guy, then I think the fan revolt will be expected and warranted.

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I'm going to give whomever they hire a fair hearing.

Unless I hear it was an Easterby hire, then straight into the incinerator it goes.

Slyonebluejay and primtim24 like this.
  15. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

F*ck that Mayo hire. New England wants PICKS for him.

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. conquistador#11

[​IMG]

Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. Damion Laverne

So I was right about Culley being a puppet coach.

But until the Texans realize that they're not Lakewood Church, they won't get anywhere

Nook and Fulgore like this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

Unfortunately, I get the Texan's thinking...... The Watson situation hung over the team last year and they knew he wasn't coming back (unless to clean out his locker and grab his massage tables), so who was going to coach the team? I think they knew they weren't getting their first or second or third or fourth choice last year so they brought in "ah schucks" Culley.

It's just a terrible situation all around and the owners are the real life version of Tommy Boy mixed in with religious fundamentalism.

20. dmoneybangbang

If we are going the Patriots route then I'd prefer McDaniels then Flores then no one. Don't hire another position coach.... even if he is with the Patriots.

Brian Floes reportedly has the BOB type of personality, but is better with Xs and Os.