1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Ideas 2021-22

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jun 3, 2021.

1. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Not all max contracts are created equally. Younger guys will get one more often than a vet based not on what they are today, but what they could be. We may have 3 max players that need a few a more seasons to even live up to the contract.

Picks are treated with more value than the players typically turn out to be. If a star was available right now, we could get to the table if with 2 late 1st rounders. But we couldn't get to the table offering Christopher and Garuba on draft day. It's just how it is. The value of having picks is the flexibilty and chase of being able to pounce if a star is available, that and the rookie contract hasn't started expiring.

The value is also having the ability to have a player at a fraction their market rate, who is producing, while the team is trying to compete. Scolandry is the perfect example. Ring chasers are the other route, but they rarely flock to young teams on the cusp, they go to the finished products, hence their name.

Tate at 1.5 million is one of the best values in the league. I think he may be traded this season so the Rockets can capitalize on that specific value, vs giving exactly what he is worth in 2 years.

dmoneybangbang and BallaDoc like this.
  2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Very good point about Ariza, I see your point more clearly now. I wouldn't be happy about losing a 1st rounder to watch Redish walk in a year, but to rebuild you got to take risks. My approach is risky as well for the reasons you've mentioned. We could pass on great opportunities in hopes that of we can trade for or sign a player that may never come. I personally have an inner Prest or Hinkie that says to hoard picks.

I wan the Rockets to be locked and loaded when it is time to compete with assets to improve and tweak the team. That is compounded by the fact that Brooklyn will have all of our picks later in the future, so it benefits us to be as bad as possible now and as good as possible when we lose our picks. The last thing I want to see is the Rockets version from 10-13 years ago they were always a game or two out of the playoffs and Patterson, Morris, Lamb, White and Jones. were not the answer year after year. I'll give Lamb some credit for his Summer League and for being a part of the Harden trade, but you get my point. We went nowhere with late lotto picks and now the Rockets won't even have the luxury of controlling our own picks for quite some time.

Lastly, let's say Rockets got Redish today and he crushed it next season for that big contract we've been talking about. Surely he will contribute to winning, so when looking a the big picture, in 2024 you're weighing Redish at 25M and the 2023 9th pick against a rookie contract(the one given up in the Redish Trade) the 3rd of 4th pick, and maybe a 20M free agent. I realize that my draft picks and salaries are arbitrary, but you seem to be more logical than most posters, so I assume you'll play along. A lot our positions are coin flips so neither of us are right or wrong. It's been nice having a back forth with an open minded person that doesn't twist your words or have to burn you post, I appreciate you.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, indeed. EG should be packaged with Nwaba as a sweetener, for a decent player on a small contract and a low 1st round pick.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I only see Gordon as an asset worth a FRP. The others are basically to give flexibility to the Lakers for the two swaps.

If you want, that trade works with just Wall, Gordon, Westbrook, and THT. I would expect a 3rd or 4th team to be involved that would take THT.

I see Lakers as an old team such that the FRP and the swaps could be big assets for trades in a couple of years.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Gordon is an asset worth FRP, but Rockets would also be taking back a bad contract (Westbrook) to give them a similarly bad contract but at a slight potential upgrade (Wall). In addition to that, Rockets would also take back another bad contract of THT (overpaid player at a contract more expensive than Theis, locked in for 3 years).

At the moment, I don't really see a possible any good trade with Lakers where the assets involved is anything but just Wall and Westbrook. Gordon and Theis would be valuable assets to the Lakers, but the Lakers don't have any positive enough assets that the Rockets would want in return (unless it's FRPs way into the future.).

Which is a bit of a shame, because in a perfect world, if the Lakers somehow still had most of their picks, I could seem them trading it all for Gordon, Theis and Wall, which would completely fix the majority of their problems.

6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, I feel
    Rockets Nwaba + (Miami) 1st round pick for Reddish
    would be a better deal than
    Knicks Knox + 1st round pick for Reddish

May be an indicator that Houston is saving all their first round picks
    of the Miami 1st rounder(21/22) + possibly two for Wood + one for
    Eric Gordon to move up in the draft.

Rockets look like they may end up with top 3 as their own and get one of
    Banchero, Jabari Smith, Chet Holmgren

*Possibly package the other first rounders (as many as 4 first rounders) to move up
    to within top 4 to select Jalen Ivey or best player available. I can imagine the Rockets
    selecting two of any combination of:

Banchero & Chet Holmgren or Banchero & Jabari Smith or Banchero & Ivey
    or
    Jabari Smith & Banchero or Jabari & Chet or Jabari & Ivey
    or
    Chet Holmgren & Banchero or Chet & Jabari or Chet and Ivey

[Kevin Porter Jr becomes expendable with the rise of Josh Christopher and
    an addition of a Jalen Ivey]

*This is what I would do

#1426 ApacheWarrior, Jan 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    Milos and saleem like this.
  7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Would either team be interested in a Tate for Wiseman swap? It wouldn't be that easy; Stone would have to do some stuff before that trade was possible. But it definitely helps the Warriors on the court and would probably save them a sh*t ton in luxury tax.

I don't love Wiseman but I guess it's worth gambling on a guy who could be a good big man.

#1427 Haymitch, Jan 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    Mathloom likes this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

This is what I really hope happens. This would make the Rockets bad again next season giving them a top pick. Which would then be an option to trade with maybe someone like Christopher or another player or two that is looking better with a few of the Nets picks to get a top player currently in the NBA which in turn would hopefully make the Rockets a better team the next giving the Thunder a mediocre pick.

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I can't see the Rockets actually using all the future draft picks
    on actually drafting players (as the picks are)

Either use them to move up in the draft or use them to move
    Wall (or the return of Westbrick)

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Are you aware of the sheer number of picks owed to the Thunder? They would have to have a 30 person bench to fit them all in 5 years. Which if you think about it when they attempt to condense those assets down the line they will be negotiating with teams that obviously know that. Knowing that they are desperate to move up in drafts etc and get rid of that 24th pick they don't want because they a 1000 picks over the next 6 years lol

snowconeman22 likes this.
  11. R=$

R=$ Member

Houston Rockets Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: +23.9 ppg, +12.5 rpg, and +7.0 apg.
    Incoming Players
    [​IMG] Kevin Love
    33 year old, 6-8, 247 lb FC from UCLA
    14.3 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 2.1 apg in 21.5 minutes in 2021-2022
    [​IMG] Ricky Rubio
    31 year old, 6-3, 190 lb G from Joventut Badalona (Spain)
    13.1 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 6.6 apg in 28.5 minutes in 2021-2022
    [​IMG] Cedi Osman
    26 year old, 6-7, 230 lb GF from Anadolu Efes (Turkey)
    11.3 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.7 apg in 23.2 minutes in 2021-2022
    Outgoing Players
    [​IMG] John Wall
    31 year old, 6-4, 210 lb PG from Kentucky
    No games yet played in 2021-2022
    [​IMG] Eric Gordon
    33 year old, 6-3, 215 lb G from Indiana
    14.8 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 3.4 apg in 29.2 minutes in 2021-2022

Ankara1923 likes this.
  12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

definitely fits the "random" criteria

VoR, Corrosion, Sep11ie and 1 other person like this.
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

All I see is Rockets......Stone.....worked with Morey

Draft picks are like cartons of cigarettes in prison....to be used wisely.

If you can have building blocks of:
    1)Jalen Green, 2)Josh Christopher, 3)Sengun, 4)Garuba, 5)Tate, 6)Kenyon,
    7)Mathews, 8)Brooks,
    and
    can add two of Jabari Smith, Banchero, Chet and/or Ivey.....go ahead and
    do that before the Thunder thing kicks in. That's 10 strong with options to
    add vet free agent(s) or vets via trade to fill in the holes (needs).

Just Do it, do it.

14. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Houston In: Porzingis and Cleveland 1st Rounder and Dallas 1st Rounder
    Houston Out: Eric Gordon and Armoni Brooks

Dallas In: Kevin Love and Armoni Brooks
    Dallas Out: Porzingis, Dwight Powell and 1st Rounder

Cleveland: In Eric Gordon and Dwight Powell
    Cleveland Out: Kevin Love and a 1st Rounder

Rockets eat Porzingis 2 years in exchange for 2 first Round picks.

Dallas get a veteran big who can work well with Luka. Love's contract is one year shorter than Porzingis.

Cleveland picks up vets to make a run at the playoffs, plus they would still have Rubio's expiring to trade for another vet.

15. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

The more days go by, the more I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t make a move. Some part of me believes deeply they really dont want to move Gordon at all

D-rock likes this.
  16. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Solid proposal, but KLove is balling for Cle right now. He will big a big piece in a playoff success. He was worthless a few months ago and why they still have him is beyond me.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I just like the concept of building with Myles Turner as our stretch 5. Plus, Holmgren can fit with Chet if we want to draft him. Conversely Turner allows us to look at players other than Holmgren.

Would Indy go for the re tool instead of the rebuild?

Wood/Gordon/Nwaba for Turner and Lamb.

Sabonis
    Wood
    Warren/Nwaba
    Duarte/Gordon
    Brogdon

Seems to have them pretty well off.

Turner
    Sengun
    Christopher
    Green
    Ivey

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Memphis, Phoenix, Utah and Golden State are all realistic trade destinations for Gordon and Wood in the west; they all have good young prospects and picks and are legit contenders. Add Chicago in the East and there really is no reason to think that the rockets can’t come away with legit future talent or draft capital out of this trade deadline.

anything less would be the last straw for me with Stone.

Big Time Titan likes this.
  19. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Rockets get:
    M. Bagley
    Davion Mitchell
    Peyton Pritchard (most likely this is Nesmith but reach for the stars right?!)

Kings get:
    C. Wood
    E. Gordon
    Josh Richardson
    J. Hernangomez

Celtics get:
    Harrison Barnes
    Moe Harkless

Rockets get:
    Celtics first round pick / Kings first round pick / Celtics future first (or that goes to Kings?)

Thoughts??
    (I like it)

The Beard and Big Time Titan like this.
  20. JohnWoo713

JohnWoo713 Member

Hou: Harrell, KCP, Neto & Was 1st
    Was: Gordon, Augustin & (Mia/Nets 1st?)

Hou: Jones & Brown Jr, 2 2nds
    Chi: Theis & Nwaba

Hou: Wiseman
    GS: Wood

KPJ/Neto/Christopher
    Green/KCP/
    Tate/Matthews/
    Martin/Harrell/Garuba
    Wiseman/Sengun

Young core: Green, Christopher, Martin Jr, Garuba, Wiseman, Sengun, & 2022 1st round picks

Trade Pieces: 1sts, Tate, Matthews, KPJ?