1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Critical Race Theory.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, May 17, 2021.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

FYI

Cy-Fair incredibly is the third largest school district in Texas It has grown immensely in the last 20 years

2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

There is some fudging of numbers. Something about when students drop out determines if they are counted in the drop out rate. o_O Maybe someone who works in high school could clarify.

3. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

What a loser! Lina Hidalgo went to Seven Lakes HS. I know bc she was in my class. Product of Cy-Fair my ass.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you joking?

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

She attended school in CyFair ISD... Cypress Falls HS.

https://www.texasobserver.org/lina-hidalgo-harris-county-judge/

https://www.tmc.edu/news/2019/11/ha...oding-health-care-and-her-journey-to-the-u-s/

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Yea... CRT is the big problem to be worried about...

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

mdrowe00, jiggyfly and NewRoxFan like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is funny and something that should never make it into an actual bill proposal, but I don't see what that has to do with CRT or anti CRT.

Maybe I am missing something?

10. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Probably because they are trying to dictate the curriculum through the bill. Because otherwise CRT will ravage the country and indoctrinate the youths?

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya to me it's pretty obvious. Clueless people with a political agenda want to dictate history lessons without understanding history and only understanding CRT as "teaching to hate white people".

It's so sad.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I understand what you are saying, but none of what was posted is dictating a curriculum differently, all of that stuff was pretty standard in what is already being taught.

Like I said maybe I am missing something but its doing the reverse CRT thing, tying something to anti CRT that has nothing to do with CRT.

It's a mistake.

A mistake that nobody writing educational bills should make but a simple mistake.

Hell I am a history buff and teacher and I would sometimes make that mistake for a long while.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean by the time that bill is publicly revealed, how many eyes went through it to revise? I'm assuming more than one.

Ya, an individual making a simple mistake is reasonable but a document as official as a legislative bill probably has a team of interns and staffers going over it.

You are right in a sense that it is a minor talking point that really isn't going to do anything one way or the other. People are just laughing at the ridiculousness of it.

14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

No.

15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I can't imagine there's anything more to discuss on this topic, if you think he was making the claims to support and celebrate diversity.

The guy specifically said that He didn't want to be HISD and didn't want to be 4%, It wasn't a celebration.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. StupidMoniker

I'm just saying he said opposed hiring or not hiring solely on race. He said specifically that race should not be the only consideration, though diversity is a positive. I don't know why not wanting to go from less than 4% dropout to 4% dropout would be a negative. Do you disagree with that?

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I disagree with placing the blame for difference in percentage on black teachers which is what he was doing.

18. StupidMoniker

I would disagree with that as well, though I don't agree that is what he was doing. He specifically pointed out that Cy-Fair has a higher percentage of black teachers than the state average (the state average dropout rate being higher than either Cy-Fair or HISD). Do you disagree with anything he actually said, or just what you are reading into it?

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not necessarily a direct reply to you, but I THINK folks describe dropout rate in 2 ways, so you can get 2 vastly different numbers.

1. Dropouts in the graduation year - this is where the 4% number comes from in HISD and I assume 1.2% in CFISD.

2. Dropouts over a 4 year period. This is where the 20% number could arise.

FranchiseBlade, pgabriel and JumpMan like this.
  20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro