1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Critical Race Theory.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, May 17, 2021.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Edit

#782 Roc Paint, Nov 18, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Wow... the quiet part out loud

ThatBoyNick and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

btw, he was one of three who ran for the school board on an anti-CRT platform. Here's his response to criticism and calls for his resignation/removal...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He should be run out of town.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not a good look but I would like to here more of the conversation, but it seems clear what point he was trying to make.

Black teachers bad.

Some more info on the meeting.

The comment was made during the reports portion of the agenda after Cy-Fair ISD human resources director, Onica Mayers, presented an oral report with findings from the district's equity and culture audit conducted by Millennium Learning Concepts. Mayers also shared findings from year-long surveys sent to staff and secondary students, interviews and focus groups, and walk-throughs and classroom observations.

Millennium recommended that the district form an equity-focused administrative office to provide support to underserved student populations. A video of the entire meeting is available on YouTube.

Henry took issue with the audit, and he and some other trustees questioned whether the suggested administrative effort to promote diversity and equity would be the best use of district funds. Henry opened his remarks claiming that he's a "big data guy" and that it looked like the data was "cherry-picked very poorly."

He called on the district to look beyond the numbers, which he said were "skewed" and find out the "why."

Henry continued to throw countless jabs at Houston ISD, which was touted in the report as a "glowing example," he said, of something Cy-Fair ISD should model, pointing to the district's poor in-school suspension rate, low performance and diverting to scandals involving the former chief operating officer who was indicted in connection with an alleged bribery scheme over the last decade, and a former HISD trustee who resigned and pleaded guilty to conspiracy charges in connection with the bribery scheme.

Looks like he said what he meant, he just thought he had it coded it better.

He took offense that HISD was brought up as an example for diversity, and then just went all Rogan on it.

Never punch down.

What does any of this have to do with CRT?

#786 jiggyfly, Jan 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Pgabs out here wilding

mdrowe00 and jiggyfly like this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'm missing something here. Didn't he say HISD has 36% black teachers and 4% dropout rate? Texas statewide is close to a 20% dropout rate.

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I wondered about that as well because that is a great dropout rate.

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Cy-Fair is apparently 1.2%, per a quick search.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yeah, so I'm confused... (nothing unusual there).

So is the implication if CFISD hires more black teachers that 1.2% would rise?

12. StupidMoniker

No idea what he was implying. Perhaps that was it. I would guess that he doesn't see the need to model his district off of another with better outcomes. Since HISD has much higher black teacher representation but a much lower dropout rate than the state at large, the more black teachers = more dropouts doesn't seem to hold water (if that is what he meant).

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bottom line is that he's advocating hiring or not hiring based solely on race.

14. StupidMoniker

Isn't he doing the exact opposite of that? It sounded like he was opposing the creation of some sort of diversity hiring panel (equity-focused administrative office) while being "proud" of the district's focus on diversity and that there should not be a single metric used. This is based solely on what has been presented here. Maybe there is some other source or background information where he says something else about hiring or not hiring based solely on race.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

When have I criticized black teachers?

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Look, they ain’t farmers is all I’m saying

I’m just playing man

jiggyfly, pgabriel and fchowd0311 like this.
  17. HardenVolumeOne

still ain’t voting blue

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If the state drop out rate is 20% how is the biggest school district's rate only 4%?

I looked these numbers up also and that's what they seem on the surface, but that makes no sense if it's using the same calculation for both rates

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Beer, good.
    Black people, bad.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm not defending this guy but nothing in your post points to criticizing black teachers. I'm talking about your post specifically