1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Texans Coaching Search

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Fantasma Negro

Barret can go. Only people on the offense staff I would keep are Pep, Campen and Prince

Rudyc281, Shark44 and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Sounds like it was a classic coach vs GM battle in Miami so assume working with someone you’ve had a good relationship with in the past would be that much more appealing.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Smart dude. Simms seemed awkward af in that interview

4. conquistador#11

I'm all for Flores. First Central American head coach! Not gonna lie I thought he was from Puersho Ricco from that NY accent.
    [​IMG]

Nook and B-Bob like this.
  5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Lol at thinking Watson wanted to go to Miami for Flores. He just wanted to hit up their hairdressers on the IG for massages.

Nook, B-Bob, RunninRaven and 8 others like this.
  6. Fantasma Negro

[​IMG]

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Not going to lie. I wouldn’t mind having a coach that gets his team to overachieve.

8. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

And he’s going to demand respect from every single mf in that locker room.

No Worries likes this.
  9. blackistan

blackistan Member

Any chance Deshaun comes back if we get Flores...its been rumored that he wants to play for Flores hence the Miami trade talk all this time

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Came into this thread thinking "idgaf, they gonna suck and will probably screw it up".

Read the thread and am pleasantly surprised. Hard pass on McDaniels but I'd be more than happy with either Flores or Mayo.

B-Bob, No Worries and ROXRAN like this.
  11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I would be very happy with either Mayo or Flores - they both remind me of Vrabel

Rudyc281 and whag00 like this.
  12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Except one seems like a bill O’Brien clone and the other seems like he actually knows how to treat and communicate to people give me Mayo.

HeyBudLetsParty likes this.
  13. gucci888

I won’t be mad if it’s Mayo but have a hard time believing the Texans canned Culley for someone with even less experience. But then again it’s the Texans so…

B-Bob, RasaqBoi and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. HeyBudLetsParty

Have a hard time believing Brian Flores wouldn’t blow up here the way he did in Miami. I’d prefer Mayo, former player that would probably work well with Lovie on the defense.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Can someone tell me what Mayo has proven to become head coach?

RasaqBoi likes this.
  16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Pancakes says no, so there might be a chance ;)

[​IMG]

DW4's beef was with the owners, so there is that.

IMO there is a strong 1% chance that DW4 will pretend like 2021 never happened and reboot.

17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

18. gucci888

Young, promising, and coached under Belichick. That's good enough for the NFL nowadays.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3065367/202...ates-could-brian-flores-replace-david-culley/

As the search process begins, here’s a look at some potential candidates.

Brian Flores, former Dolphins head coach

The Dolphins’ decision to fire Flores was the biggest surprise of Black Monday. He finished with winning records in two of his three seasons in Miami but never made the playoffs. Dolphins owner Stephen Ross reportedly lost confidence that Flores, who had a reputation for churning through assistant coaches, could effectively lead the organization.

Would Caserio, who is in charge of the Texans’ football operation, want to hire a coach who could potentially challenge that authority? He should have as good a feel for Flores as any general manager looking to hire a coach. Prior to going to Miami, Flores spent his entire career in New England, beginning in the scouting department before rising up the ranks of assistant coaches to become the Patriots’ de facto defensive coordinator.

Even if the Texans hire Flores, don’t expect that to repair the team’s relationship with Deshaun Watson, who wanted to play for Flores in Miami.

Brian Daboll, Bills offensive coordinator

Daboll’s profile has risen the past four seasons while serving as the offensive coordinator who’s overseen Josh Allen’s development into one of the NFL’s best quarterbacks. But Caserio became familiar with Daboll long before then. Daboll had two stints in New England across 11 combined seasons, working as a defensive assistant (2000-2001), wide receivers coach (2002-2006) and tight ends coach (2013-2016). He’s also been an offensive coordinator for the Browns, Dolphins and Chiefs, as well as the Alabama Crimson Tide at the collegiate level, where he won a national championship while working with quarterbacks Jalen Hurts and Tua Tagovailoa.

Over the past two seasons combined, with Allen playing at an elite level, the Bills rank third in points per drive.

Daboll's Bills offenses
    Year | DVOA rank
    2018 | 31
    2019 | 21
    2020 | 5
    2021 | 10
    (DVOA via Football Outsiders)

Daboll interviewed for the Chargers’ head-coaching job last year, and he reportedly has interviews scheduled for the open Dolphins’ and Bears’ jobs. He was not part of Caserio’s search last year.

Josh McDaniels, Patriots offensive coordinator

McDaniels’ relationship with Caserio goes back to college, when he was catching passes from the Texans GM for John Carroll University. After that, they worked together for close to two decades in New England, with a break from 2009-2011 while McDaniels was the Broncos’ head coach and the Rams’ offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

McDaniels’ Broncos tenure was a disaster, and he pulled out of the Colts’ head-coaching job at the last minute before Indianapolis hired Frank Reich. But McDaniels’ recent work as New England’s offensive coordinator in the post-Brady era of the Patriots has been impressive, especially his work with rookie quarterback Mac Jones. A year after building an offense around the legs of quarterback Cam Newton, McDaniels has the Patriots ranking ninth in DVOA with a pure pocket passer in Jones. Could he produce similar success with another young pocket passer in Davis Mills?

Byron Leftwich, Buccaneers offensive coordinator

No Patriots connection here other than Leftwich’s recent work with Tom Brady, who has endorsed him as a future head coach. That endorsement might carry some weight with Caserio and executive vice president of football operations Jack Easterby.

Leftwich helped marry Tampa Bay’s offense with some of what Brady likes, and that has created a unit that has finished in the top three in offensive DVOA each of the past two seasons. Of course, having one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time helps. In Leftwich’s one season in Tampa prior to Brady’s arrival, the Bucs ranked 23rd in offensive DVOA, but Jameis Winston led the league in passing yards (5,109) and threw 33 touchdown passes. The problem was he also threw 30 interceptions.

Leftwich also has some familiarity with the AFC South, albeit distant. He started for the Jaguars for four seasons after Jacksonville selected him seventh overall in 2003.

Jerod Mayo, Patriots linebackers coach

Since retiring after an eight-year career as a Patriots linebacker in 2015, Mayo has been a fast riser on New England’s coaching staff. He’s spent the past three years as the Patriots’ linebackers coach, with a vague level of play-calling responsibilities, and he’s already received an interview request from the Broncos.

At 35 years old, Mayo would be one of the NFL’s youngest head coaches. Building an experienced staff around him would be key. That could include hiring a coordinator who’s been a head coach, a role Lovie Smith filled on Culley’s staff.

“At the end of the day, they’re hiring me as a person,” Mayo recently told Boston reporters. “If they like me as a person, and believe my vision and we have a shared vision, I think it’ll all work out. If that’s not the case, then it’s not meant to be. That’s kind of how I approach it.”

Todd Downing, Titans offensive coordinator

Downing has been in the NFL since 2003, working his way up with the Rams, Raiders, Lions, Bills, Vikings and Titans. He’s in his first year as Tennessee’s offensive coordinator, after previously serving one season as the Raiders’ offensive coordinator in 2017.

Playing without Derrick Henry and Julio Jones for much of the season, Downing’s offense wasn’t great, ranking 20th in DVOA and 14th in points per drive. But Downing’s three years in Tennessee, including the previous two as the team’s tight ends coach, have allowed him to see up close how coach Mike Vrabel and general manager Jon Robinson, who both come from Patriots, have built their own successful program away from New England. The Titans have won the division in back-to-back seasons and are 16-8 against the AFC South since Vrabel’s arrival.

Nathaniel Hackett, Packers offensive coordinator

Another coach who’s had success in the AFC South, Hackett was the Jaguars’ offensive coordinator from 2016-2018. He got a career year out of Blake Bortles in 2017, when Jacksonville made it to the AFC championship.

More recently, he’s spent the past three seasons as the offensive coordinator in Green Bay, where he doesn’t call plays but has helped head coach Matt LaFleur build a consistently elite offense.

It helps that they’re working with Aaron Rodgers, who praises Hackett.

“He’s become such a close confidant and friend besides a fantastic coach,” Rodgers said. “I just really can’t express enough how important he is to our team in so many ways. He’s incredible in front of the room. He brings a lot of great energy that’s really important to not just meetings that can sometimes, without the energy he infuses, maybe get long at times. Never feels that way with him in front of the room. …

“But Hack has really embraced the idea of celebrating together, as well, which I think is such a vital part of us coming together and being a close-knit group. … There’s nobody in the building that brings me more joy or is more fun to be around than Nathaniel Hackett.”

Shark44 and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As inspirational as all that is, I'm not sure I like the sound of a head coach whose philosophy is "put all your eggs in one basket". That to me smacks of the type of coach who would say "We are a running football team." and then never adjust for the player personnel you have. I know I'm extrapolating a lot but for a guy like Mayo who has very little coaching experience to date, but we don't have much to go on, it seems.

Rudyc281 and B-Bob like this.