1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The filibuster is unconstitutional

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by subtomic, Jun 8, 2021.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's a feature, not a bug.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

alternative view:

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2022/01/mandatory-voter-fraud-bill-rip.php

excerpt:

Sinema strikes me as the rare politician who actually does what she thinks is best for her constituents and for the country. Of course, what she thinks is best often differs from my own opinion, but still, that is a refreshing orientation. Her defection from the current Democratic Party line is politically risky. While a majority of Americans no doubt applaud her position, polls suggest that she may lose to a hard-line leftist in the next Democratic primary. So it seems fair to conclude that her position on the filibuster, and on other issues where she has defied Schumer, is driven by principle and not by political self-interest.
    more at the link

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have somewhat mixed opinions on this. I agree that the GA laws aren't good for democracy and that getting the John Lewis act passed would greatly help. Sinema does have a point though given how tenuous Democratic control of Congress is without the filibuster in the future it will make it that much easier for the Republicans to just reverse legislation passed. Over the last 20 years Democrats haven't held the majority as much as Republicans or the Presidency. Even without changes in election laws Democrats could still lose Congress and the Presidency in the next two elections in which case they will need the "arcane rules" of the Senate to slow down or stall the Republican agenda.

I still feel though that filibuster should go back to being an actual filibuster where a Senator has to hold the floor. That isn't just mere political theater but does actually require conviction to the point of risking your health to do it. There is no surprise to me that we see much more filibusters used along with more exceptions being carved out, for when it is just virtual. If it is that you actually have to hold the floor I don't think we would see nearly as many filibusters or need to make so many exceptions to it's use.

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Even though I just acknowledged that Sinema has a point I highly doubt that a majority of Americans applaud her position. There has been polling showing that a majority support the voting rights bills.
    https://endcitizensunited.org/lates...-in-ten-support-john-lewis-voting-rights-act/

But more than that I doubt many Americans really care or even know that much about the specifics of the filibuster or why she is for keeping it.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Appropriate has nothing to do with it. It's just politically stupid for advancing the Dem's policy objectives.

There aren't 50 votes for much of anything Biden wants to do (BBB, voting bill, etc), so they would be getting rid of the filibuster for no gain and then the GOP would only need a simple majority when they take over next year.

I'm all for getting rid of the filibuster, but McConnell isn't going to do it (pretending Harry Reid got rid of it for lower court judges but wouldn't get rid of it for the Supreme Court is absurd) unless Schumer does it first.

JuanValdez likes this.
  7. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

8. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

The Republican's agenda is to not do anything or possibly reverse progress made as we see this occurring with the conservative Supreme Court. Sinema and Manchin could have just stated their position months ago instead of wanting to be the center of attention and letting us guess what they're thinking. They want to be reelected in red states no matter the cost and aren't willing to consider the will of the people.

I absolutely agree we should go back to a talking filibuster but they won't even do that. It's beyond pathetic and when we lose the Senate, House, and Presidency over the course of the next 3 years we'll look back at this moment wondering why the hell we didn't pass a voting rights bill when we had the chance...

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Does not compute. Doing what will get them reelected, no matter the cost, is explicitly considering the will of the people.

10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

The people that voted them in are in favor of passing voting rights legislation. Going against the voters who put you in office and a majority of people in the US is going against the will of the people. Maybe they aren't as concerned with reelection as I assumed. One is already extremely wealthy and Sinema's playing catchup so we shall see...

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Don't really care about the Filibuster, because I've long since passed the point of not giving a s**t.

But Sinema is the worst example of a crooked, bought and paid for congressman I have ever seen. It's disgusting, far more so than the usual openly crooked republicans.

dobro1229, fchowd0311 and Andre0087 like this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Senators want to be the center of attention? Color me shocked..
    To be fair Manchin has been pretty explicit about his opposition to removing the filibuster. Sinema hasn't said as much but her opposition has been known for months.

I don't think voting rights legislation is completely dead but I think it should've been obvious with the makeup of the Senate that it always was going to be a very tough road to get it.

As a side note while still having the filibuster is a severe blow to voting rights legislation the BBB could still be passed with reconciliation given the budget impacts it has.

Andre0087 likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Obviously the odds are stacked against passage but this is where Democrats should take a page from Republicans and bring up voting rights for repeated votes to have the spectacle of individual senators voting against voting rights.

FranchiseBlade and Andre0087 like this.
  14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Meanwhile...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. NewRoxFan

Agreed... it will be pointless since republicans place more importance on staying in and growing their power that on fair democracy and integrity... but a continual reminder is useful.

I really wouldn't mind manchin being named minority senate leader since (1) it will further associate him with this through history and (2) let him be the one to try to get Democratic bills passed in a Senate that has been stacked against it in part thanks to his position.

Reporter: "senator manchin, why did that health care bill fail again?"
    manchin: "Well, we couldn't convince enough of my fellow republicans, er, my colleagues across the aisle to bring it up for a vote since they were focused on corporate tax cuts"...

16. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I suppose it's too much to expect them to act like mature adults. Neither Senator explicitly stated they would not reform the filibuster until recently and the BBB is DOA. Every time the President is about to announce or speak to push for something they undercut him. Is it too much to ask that they all get on the same page beforehand? Biden's best bet it to tout the infrastructure bill already passed and hope for the best in the midterms. I still think they're a couple of shitstains and hope their time in the Senate ends in 2024.

17. NewRoxFan

Monday is Martin Luther King Day. It will be interesting to see how many senators talk about MLK...

18. Major

Major Member

Absolutely - and instead of a mammoth comprehensive voting rights bill, they should vote on each individual provision - especially the more poliitically popular ones. Maybe you'll get lucky any pass a few things by accident, which is better than accomplishing nothing and not evening holding a vote.

ElPigto and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm curious. Do you understand that Trump's campaign gave information to Russia in exchange for services from them?

If not, hopefully you will do whatever research is needed to learn this truth.

If you did understand that why would you claim its been proven that there was no collusion?

Thia is a different issue than a provable and prosecutable crime.

20. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Between your penultimate and final sentences, you literally contradicted yourself.