1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Ideas 2021-22

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Lakers Receive
    Gordon
    Wall
    Porter
    Augustin

Rockets receive
    Westbrook
    Talen Horton-Tucker
    Bradley
    Bazemore
    2023 Right to swap the worst of their 1st picks (Rockets/Brooklyn/Milwaukie) for the worst of the LAL 1st or NOP Pick.
    2026 Right to swap Brooklyn 1st for LAL 1st
    2027 LAL 1st unprotected.

This is a jump in trade as Wall and Westbrook's contracts swapping gives Lakers and Rockets about $11M in extra salary they can take on if they want to bring in a 3rd or 4th team.

peleincubus likes this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Dang @saleem

We missed out on Cam Reddish

Nwaba is much better than Kevin Knox imo. Atlanta fail.

Cam would have been great for the Rockets

saleem likes this.
  3. RLP55

RLP55 Member

Reddish would have been a spectacular get.

Before tomorrow nights tip. Wood to the Kings for Bagley and Metu. We need serviceable bigs.
    Before trade deadline move Gordon and Theis for draft assets. And/or take a flyer on a under the radar big. Reed ( PHL), Scott (CLE), or Morgan (BOS) just to throw out a few names. Keep Garuba in the G and play him max minutes.

4. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

The return seems really small, considering the only guaranteed pick is in 2027. That is a good asset, I doubt a 2nd year GM wants to see dividends in 6 years. Also, what we're doing with Wall, if we did that to Westbrook also, we would be blacklisted by agents. No way Westbrook quietly sits.

I'd rather just get picks for Gordon and a bad contract vs downgrading my assets to dump Wall a year early. If we just wait another year, which is fine since we aren't competing this year, then Walls contract may even have value. Creative scenario though.

theDude likes this.
  5. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

6. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

3 team blockbuster.

Hou out: Wall, Tate,
    Hou in: Tobias, D. Wright, Atl unprotected 2022 FRP, Charlotte protected 2022 FRP

Atl out: Danilo, Hunter, Wright, 2022 unprotected FRP, Charlotte FRP, unprotected Atl 2024
    Atl in: Simmons, Tate

76ers out: simmons, Harris
    76ers in: Wall, Hunter, Danilo, ATL FRP 2024

hou incentive: take on a crappy salary for an extra year for draft capital.

Atl incentive: losing hunter and picks suck. But Wright and galinari don’t have much value. Hunter does but you’re replacing him with simmons. They lose out two picks but keep guys they can still use for trades later for other upgrades like huerter, capela, bogi, Collins, okongwu.

76ers incentive. Embiid picking up lay and the 6ers are making a mini run. It would be a shame to waste a year of his prime. This gets you off Harris’s contract one year early. Galinari can be cut next year or retained if they like his fit. Hunter is an excellent wing to pair with their backcourt tandem and beast front court.

peleincubus likes this.
  7. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Redish is solid, but how would we pay all these guys. Think about the money we'll be handing out between KPJ, Redish, Wood and Tate. I would say their value would be roughly 8M, 20M, 25M and 13M per season. That is 65M. Then 2 years after that we hopefully be maxing out Green, and will also need to pay Senguin 17M, Christopher 13M and whatever Garuba makes? That puts us at roughly 115 M, with no room to sign a max player.

Combing all this youth at once creates the problem that OKC had with Harden, you can't keep them all.

8. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you suggesting that we should not trade Nwaba for Redish because we wouldn’t be able to sign him (or someone else) to an extension down the road?

I would love to be in the OKC scenario that you brought up. OKC’s problem was that they let the wrong player go. Still a good situation to be in.

withmustard, ApacheWarrior and xaos like this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

We may not see the future of the Rockets in the same light.

Cam Reddish is under contract next season $6 million
    RF the following season.

Wall $47 million is an expiring contract next season. Assuming he opts in.
    ------------------------------
    I have Eric Gordon traded for waivable contracts like Kevin Knox
    and 1st round pick or two. If PJ Tucker was worthy of one last season.

Wood traded. In your scenario Wood is in our future. All signs lean toward
    here today but gone tomorrow. Again bringing n a couple first round picks.

The contracts of Eric Gordon ($19M) and Wall ($47M) goes a long way.
    Not to mention that the salary cap may be rising to extreme limits by all reports.
    From our $112 million to $171 million in 2025 due to new TV deal and streaming.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/morten...ming-nba-teams-could-spend-big-on-extensions/

#1409 ApacheWarrior, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    withmustard and theDude like this.
  10. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Sort of, if it's only Nwaba and no additional draft assets, than sure do that trade. If I have to give a first rounder for Redish, then I'm reluctant. Summer of 25 is when it's time to pay Green,, Senguin, Christopher and Garuba. Don't forget we will have at least 2 1st rounders this year, and likely a high enough pick to be maxed in 26. If you think Redish will develop into a stud, which he may, then other players need to be traded like Tate, Christopher, KPJ and maybe Senguin. We can't keep them all. Also include whatever we get this year for Gordon and Wood and next year for Wall.

This isn't a knock on Redish at all, I just prefer the flexibility in waiting. Best case scenario, the Rockets max out Green in 25 and someone like Holmgren is on their last year of a rookie contract. I would rather have 30 million cap space/or expiring player and a 1st rounder to go shopping with then, to make sure we get the right player, instead of sacrificing today in hopes that Cam will be the answer 4 years before we know the problem. It will be very interesting to see what they do.

11. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The Rockets will need to take in at least 3 first round picks for this trade. Rockets are sending out positive, low risk assets (the only "bad" asset is Wall, but he's probably better than Westbrook at this point), and taking back bad contracts (THT is a 3 year commitment and he's considered a big overpay at the moment).

Lakers will need to mortgage their future all the way to 2030 to make this trade happen.

12. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, all great points. I was winging it with the cap numbers, but the point is that the downside of hitting on all these picks, assuming we do, is that we can't keep them all. Also keep in mind that as the cap goes up, so do players salaries. So if the cap goes up 30%, then add 30% to all my rough estimates that the players will be paid. Most contenders need a Scola-Landry. A few players that are grossly underpaid, typically rookies, as was ScoLandry. The only way to get high producing Rookies in a contending year is get really lucky, or have picks coming from deals in past years.

Here is another way to look at it. Redish was drafted 10th 2 years ago and he was traded along with a 2nd rounder, for what seems to be roughly the 20th pick. Nobody would trade the 10th pick for Cam Redish and 2nd rounder today. These contracts are depreciating assets unless they turn into a max player that out-performs their contract AND the team hopes to be competitive those next few years. No knock on Redish, he's solid, it's just too early for me to commit to anything right now, or even next season. I don't look forward to what KPJ is going to be offered and it will hurt when Tate's salary goes up 10x after next season.

BallaDoc likes this.
  13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Just FYI for the nongs out there:

Atlanta didn't trade Reddish for Knox.
    Knox was salary filler. They traded to get a 1st round pick.

Will they use that pick in another deal? Quite possibly

D-rock, awc713 and withmustard like this.
  14. awc713

awc713 Member

I’m ready to trade Wood for a few 2nd rounders. I’d love to get EG to a contender, surely he’s worth a late first…all aboard the tank train, picks picks picks

15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Again we may be seeing the future of the Rockets roster differently.

If you were to twist my arm and ask me about
    trading KPjr or try keeping him long term....
    I would go with trade him (today). Only because
    I see Josh Christopher progressing quicker and possibly surpassing Kevin. Both having the same role imo, but Christopher doesn't hold on to the ball as long. I wanted Porter jr to go for 9 assists
    a game.....but now I want about 6. Drive and kick
    much sooner.

So we basically have 4 to 5 years to talk about
    extensions on Green, Christopher, Sengun, Garuba. The key is not overpaying on Reddish
    like Morey did with Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson.

Trick is getting Reddish on the extension years before the TV deal goes down.
    Those contracts will make Reddish deal look like
    a big time bargain. So now we can replace Reddish with the name of maybe another young talent
    under contract. Or possibly Myles Turner
    soon to be free agent type young player.

We will see what the future holds for Wall, Eric Gordon, Nwaba, Theis, Wood, Augustin and possibly Porter Jr soon.

But just like Theis, you can always trade a Reddish contract.....if it's not too crazy of an overpay.

16. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think we see things too differently, especially KPJ. I'm not a big fan, but still hope he can put some value together.

We have less than 4 and to figure out how to retain all of our picks from 21. I would imagine that Green will get the Max and Senguin and Christopher will almost split a max

Then the very following season we have to figure out our 22 pick, Miami's 22 pick and whatever we may get for Wood and Gordon. If the Rockets land in the top 4 likely that player gets maxed too. That's basically 3 max contracts across 4 players. This doesn't even factor in future players like Tate and KJ, that are regarded as today as top 15 talents in a redraft. These guys will get paid a decent rate as well.

Stone hitting on almost all of his picks is a good problem to have, it's just not sustainable. That seems to be Stone's biggest talent too so the Rcokets really need to condense the roster to allow him continue to find value in future undrafted players and late 2nd round picks.

You say the secret is not overpay, but then you risk losing him outright. So we trade a first rounder in the hopes that not 1 of the other 29 teams doesn't overpay him too, otherwise he walks for nothing.

Lastly, I don't think Theis has positive value right now. I don't believe the rumors that teams will give anything of value for him. I hope I'm wrong. I wouldn't be shocked if 1 of KJ or Tate is traded in the next few weeks, for......you guessed it, dead weight and future picks.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, I think the disconnect is who you may be pegging or saving the
    future money for (Wood/Porter Jr) are not who I am necessarily
    saving money for.

A Cam Reddish would have been under contract next year at a modest
    $6M. I could have studied him in the Rockets current scheme (if Silas is still here)
    or next year's new coaches scheme. See which of Tate, Reddish, Kenyon are in
    the future plans. Cam at 6'8" has an advantage because of height.....all around game
    on offense and defense. Shooting a good clip from 3. Tate offers his ability to score
    near the rim. Kenyon might be the odd man out.

Thing is, Tate and Kenyon are often played at the 4 or power forward.
    So with Nwaba gone and House long gone and Wood gone; Reddish
    would have had some minutes.

Basically I saw a platoon system of:
    1 and 2...................3 and 4...........4 and 5
    Christopher............ Tate................Sengun
    Green......................Kenyon............Banchero?Chet?Jabari Smith?
    Mathews.................Reddish..........Garuba
    Brooks

All these guys get peanuts as they are on contracts of
    players 2 years or less in the league. Brooks/Mathews are small $.

Rockets can afford a Reddish type deal, imo.
    These young guys are not breaking the bank as the
    league goes by tenure for the most part in market value.

withmustard likes this.
  18. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Time will tell. I do see the value in Redish, and I think he may get drastically overpaid. His 6 million dollar season is a complete loss as we won't compete in that season.

For the record, I think Gordon and Wood are long gone. I brought that up to indulge half the posters here that think Wood should remain part of our core.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  19. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you get 3 max players on the roster, that’s it.. you’ve won. You fill your roster out with guys on rookie contracts and ring chasers. You don’t worry about how to pay everyone you ever drafted. It’s also why you don’t avoid adding talent now in anticipation of not being able to keep them 4 years from now. Those guys you add may turn out to be better than the ones you draft. Add talent any way you can. Sort the payroll out when the time comes.

D-rock likes this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes I'm looking for some 6'7" to 6'8" wing/mobile talent as 3 & D types (now), before salaries go
    through the roof. Much like when we brought in Ariza for $8M while Parsons
    was paid about $15M by Dallas. Teams started to pay ($15M) for SF's soon after.

You may have seen the Ariza contract as huge, but ended up being a bargain.
    Such is or will be the Reddish contract......after you see contracts post 2025.

And Reddish is a restricted free agent after next season. So we can choose to match
    or pass if we see the money as fair market price per tenure in the league.

I give you the last word

#1420 ApacheWarrior, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022