1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paolo Banchero vs Chet Holmgren

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by MystikArkitect, Nov 9, 2021.

?

Chet "The Jet" Holmgren or Paolo "The Lambo" Banchero?

1. Holmgren

2. Banchero

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

Seems like people have been saying that for years and he continues to succeed and stand out at each level he plays.

jiggyfly and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Chet’s got balls. He controls the paint and contests everything. You get him on a dunk it doesn’t matter he’s contesting the next one. If he gets you back he’ll talk his ****. His demeanor and attitude aren’t talked about enough. A guy with his IQ, wingspan, attitude and motor don’t come around often. Combine that with a willingness to be a low usage guy and put his pride in d should make for a serviceable NBA player. My dream scenario is sengun gets another inch or two height (the bacne indicates some growth left?!?! Please lol) and can now be the low post banger and we run a double high post offense like old school adelman.

Nook and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm out on Chet. Too old.

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

And if we draft him, I hope that remains the case. He's only faced high schoolers and college kids. He appears to be pretty tough for his sleight build but that doesn't mitigate the concern for injury. I have visions of Ralph.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

he faces who gets put infront of him and has done enough to warrant consideration for the #1 pick for a reason

And i've watching teams try to "bully" this year and fail miserably over and over. He's had no injury concerns to this point. I mean we have banchero with known hydration/perspiration issues and getting tired issues yet nobody talks about that

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Banchero's ability to create for himself and for others at 6'10 is unique. He can run an offense and get any shot inside of the arc that he wants. His court vision is incredible. His ISO plays are almost unstoppable. One dribble 20 foot jumper is already wet AF. I wish he were more aggressive on defense especially with that size and that his 3 was more consistent even though he hit a couple of stepbacks that were filthy last night.

I've got Paolo #1 with Jabari a close #2.

dmoneybangbang and No Worries like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Paolo isn't even the best NBA prospect on his own team, AJ Griffin is.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There aren't many prospects better than Griffin. That said, I wouldn't pass up on Paolo if Smith and Chet are gone.

Though I might change my mind if Griffin keeps playing great.

dmoneybangbang and Nook like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

A couple weeks ago I posted on here that Griffin would be better than Banchero and possibly drafted higher.

Banchero is a very good prospect and could become an all star.

However Griffin is just a better prospect..... Griffin will still be 18 when drafted, he has a better basketball body, better mechanics on his shot, he moves better, he has a higher basketball IQ and defensively Griffin is light years better.

I know I am in the minority, but I would take Griffin over Banchero today if I were making the decision...... Griffin's projectable upside is just a lot higher.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would not be surprised if those two go back to back or if my mind changes by end of the season. I would have Griffin 5th now. I bet on floor more than ceiling/upside. Griffin hasn't gotten to the line and hit his free throws as much as I would like. Banchero will likely be able to secure the defensive glass, score well at basket, draw fouls, hit free throws, and body up with bigger players down low.

The biggest thing I don't like about Paolo is fit.

Nook likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

I agree on the fit issue. I also am very bullish on shooting and defense. The reality is that the ability to defend and limit mistakes translates well to the NBA for players that have solid measurables. I look at Mobley and Barnes and both were very good defensively in college and made few defensive mistakes... and they are contributing to winning. Players like Cunningham and Green have more offensive upside and MAYBE will get to where they make the smart play always and can defend... but that is a lot more to ask for.

Can you imagine a young team with a combo of Mobley and Griffin or Barnes and Holmgren? Yes, in either case you would need to add a playmaker or scorer to the team but you would be in a great position defensively and from a cultural standpoint..... and all 4 of those players have some untapped offensive potential.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/01/13/nba-mock-draft-2022-paolo-banchero-jabari-smith-chet-holmgren-johnny-davis

1. Magic: Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn
    Height: 6' 10" | Weight: 210 | Age: 18 | Freshman

2. Pistons: Paolo Banchero, PF, Duke
    Height: 6' 10" | Weight: 250 | Age: 19 | Freshman

3. Rockets: Chet Holmgren, F/C, Gonzaga
    Height: 7' 0" | Weight: 215 | Age: 19 | Freshman

While his case as a prospective No. 1 has paled a bit as the season has gone on, Holmgren still projects as an early selection, primarily due to his prowess protecting the rim. He has terrific instincts as a shot-blocker and good feet for his size, enabling him to change shots in a translatable manner despite his lack of physical strength. Holmgren has also been an excellent play finisher, albeit he’s rarely been challenged by anyone close to his size, and has added upside as a passer and floor-spacer.

It’s nice that the defense is pretty bankable, but where someone rates Holmgren relative to Smith and Banchero feels like a reflection of what level they believe his offense will reach. Gonzaga is through with the tough part of its schedule, so we may not learn anything meaningful or new about Holmgren’s candidacy until March. He’s having a terrific season, but the other two players have built better cases atop the draft.

4. Thunder: Johnny Davis, SG, Wisconsin
    Height: 6' 5" | Weight: 195 | Age: 19 | Sophomore

5. Pelicans: Jaden Ivey, G, Purdue
    Height: 6' 4" | Weight: 200 | Age: 19 | Sophomore

[…]

24. Rockets (from Heat): TyTy Washington, G, Kentucky
    Height: 6' 3" | Weight: 200 | Age: 19 | Freshman

Washington has put together a steady but largely unspectacular start to his freshman season, good enough to sustain first-round interest but leaving room for some dissent among scouts as to where exactly he should be drafted. He’s a capable lead guard who should be able to manipulate screens and knock down open shots, with a knack for making the right play. But his average athletic tools limit him a bit, as Washington settles for too many jumpers, hasn’t gotten to the rim or foul line much, and is a below-average on-ball defender. He projects better as a playmaker off the bench than as a starting-caliber point guard in the NBA, but has an attractive enough chance of getting there that he’s a viable option in the first round. Many scouts I’ve spoken with view him as a better option in the 20s than in the lottery, and he’s not for everyone, but his play has been trending up lately.

RudyTBag and JoeBarelyCares like this.
  14. MystikArkitect

Players like Cade and Jalen are much harder to find than players like Mobley and Barnes. You can find hustle defense guys later on in the draft.

Griffin wouldn't really fit with the Rockets though right? They need a stretch 4 in the worst way and this draft is stacked with them.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jabari is the player that you would create in NBA 2k If you already had JG and Sengun.

Prayers up for the #1.

I'd trade all of our Brooklyn picks to move up to land Jabari If it came to that. JG+Jabari+Sengun is championships in Houston.

#815 RudyTBag, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

I don't think this is true. Scoring guards are abundant and are littered across the league. There's less bigs that are Mobley's in the league and legit 2 way players that Barnes is being projected as aren't as common as scoring guards

#816 YOLO, Jan 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    Nook, dmoneybangbang and Milos like this.
  17. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Wow, what a performance!

Verbal Christ likes this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Paolo dominated Chet in their matchup. Completely manhandled him on both sides of the floor for what its worth and the physicality concern is real.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wut?

Every NBA player is one misstep away from the ER and my biggest critique about Holmgren is the injury history with his body type, so you are not saying anything I have not said already.

And none of this has to do with the fact that he will not be asked to guard Embid in the post or that Embid is a one off anyway, so why does he keep being brought up in this conversation, Nobody has the guy to guard Embid, yet they have yet to make the NBA Finals.

Rashmon likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So now we should be happy to draft a serviceable player at the top of the draft this deep?