1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paolo Banchero vs Chet Holmgren

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by MystikArkitect, Nov 9, 2021.

?

Chet "The Jet" Holmgren or Paolo "The Lambo" Banchero?

1. Holmgren

2. Banchero

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. awc713

awc713 Member

What’re the thoughts on Jabari Smith? I like him and Ivey, tbh…we’ll be fine with a good 4 pick but obviously higher the better

xtruroyaltyx and marky :) like this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Holmgrem is even thinner than Mobley that's the problem. Pretty much every PF and C will abuse him down low you can see it happen already in NCAA even Lauri Markannen will dunk on him that's how thin and weak he is. You can also see him getting dropped to the floor hard every 3 plays or so that's gonna be every play in the NBA and then he'll only last a short while before his first major injury.

KelvinCato13 likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Smith and Banchero are pretty much consensus top 2 picks right now although it's pretty early. Personally I like Smith more cuz his 3 pt shooting is highly advanced and he plays hard on defense every possession. TBH he reminds me a lot of Scottie Barnes except you have 3 pt shooting instead of play making and ball handling.

Ivey...I haven't really been paying attention we don't need yet another combo guard lol. If we miss on top 2 pick I'd rather trade it for a good pg like say Haliburton from Sac. They might bight on that given they have Fox at the pg spot already.

awc713 and Milos like this.
  4. Milos

Milos Member

The more I watch Jabari Smith Jr the more I see a young Pippen, but already taller with a much better jumper

Pip was nowhere near the point-forward he became next to Jordan in college or even his first few Bulls years
    By his peak, he was their primary ball-handler and led the team in assists

I don't think Jabari will ever evelve to that level, but it's really all he lacks to become a superb second option next to Green

His defensive potential is what really excites me
    He plays with a low, wide base on the perimeter, is hyper aggressive thru screens and on closeouts, and has rare light/quick feet for his size (similar to Shawn Marion at that size)

The Pippen comp has more to do with his defensive potential overall, but I do think Jabari has a lot of upside as a playmaker

Paulo and Chet are MUCH more developed in that phase at this point, and both are also better inside on both ends at this point

But neither of them shoots the 3 or defends the perimeter like Jabari, and he is clearly the most athletic of the 3 top PF prospects

The versatility to play both ends, inside and out, is my main reason for favoring JSJ over the other 2

#784 Milos, Jan 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wait what?

Second option to Green?

So where are you seeing this defensive ability that made Pippen a HOF in Smith?

BallaDoc likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why does anybody need to see Mobley play C, I don't understand the question but to answer the questuion yes he has and can play center he is the best "small" ball C there can be, and he can match up with 85% of the starting Centers in today's NBA.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nobody needs to see Mobley play C I'm saying mass and heft is still important otherwise a midget like PJ Tucker who also isn't athletic shouldn't have been able to play PF or C in the modern NBA. We're not really talking about Mobley, we're talking about Holmgrem who is even a step down in the mass scale from Mobley right?

8. Milos

Milos Member

I wouldn't consider anybody in the top 3 of this draft who couldn't at least become a second got-to scorer, assuming Green becomes our alpha as intended (no Duren for me)

Sengun has a long way to go as a shooter to get there, and I like him as a facilitator far more than a scorer anyway
    I don't see anybody else on the roster with the OFF upside to ever get there
    KPJ and Christopher are both best-suited as 6th-man types long term since neither complements Green very well

Luckily, the top 4 guys in June, IMO, all have this kind of upside
    Since I'm not sure Ivey is really a PG, I prefer one of the 3 PFs next to Green and Sengun

I'd love any of them on this team, but prefer JSJ for his 2way versatility and superior athleticism

I should revise my comp to more of a Pippen/Marion hybrid

Not sure why exactly, other than all 3 players were/are kind of positionless forwards that could do all kinds of things on both ends to help a team, but not the primary alpha types that you build a team around

With Green and Sengun in place, I value that selfless 'amoeba' trait in our next cornerstone addition, which is why I'd probably take Chet over Paulo too

If you want an Alpha to be the focus of your offense, Paulo is clearly the choice
    But next to Green, I don't like the fit nearly as much, simply because Paulo doesn't do a whole lot without the ball at this point

JSJ is, IMO, the best fit to complement our core in developing a championship team long term

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

We don't know if Green is even a 2nd scorer on a championship contending team at this point or a vital rotational guy for that matter and time yet we are drafting guys to complement him?

You don't draft for complementary pieces at this point in a rebuild and any of these 3 guys would be great next to Green.

#789 jiggyfly, Jan 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    Milos likes this.
  10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I understand physicality is less in the NBA these days but did you watch how Embiid and Drummond abused Wood in our last game? He was cowed. They would break Chet in half.

His skills are freaky enticing, but his frame seems way too fragile to hold up even in todays NBA. If someone were to roll into his legs in a scrum? It's over. It'll be interesting to see how he holds up this season in college.

11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Yes please

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Wood has poor iq and no heart.

I think Chet is going to get pushed around by thicker bigs for sure, but i think he’ll be ok because he’s so long that he’ll still be able to challenge shots and get board.

Plus I think he plays with a bit of an edge so that will probably help him.

Anothwr thing is that if Chet and Sengun were on the floor together Sengun would likely be the guy matched up against against guys that like to bang down low.

BallaDoc, Rashmon and RudyTBag like this.
  13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Id take Jabar 1st overall at this point.
    Paolo 2nd
    With Chet as 2b

Only reason I have Paolo over Chet is because I think he has more star potential. But Chet I think helps this team by adding length and rim protection and fairly reliable shooting.

Milos and awc713 like this.
  14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

NBA guys will go after Chet because he’s an odd duck, sort of like Yao was. He’ll commit a lot of fouls early in his career.

xaos likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who says he has to guard Embid?

And in the current NBA who can guard Embid?

If you are not drafting somebody because they cannot guard Embid you are doing it wrong.

cmoak1982 and YOLO like this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Liked what I saw from Smith last night he was actually asking for the ball a lot and also put it on the floor to drive for his shots.

If he continues to play like that he is the clear #1 there are no holes in his game.

Milos likes this.
  17. Milos

Milos Member

Yeah that was his best all-around game of the year
    3 blocks in first 6 minutes
    Scoring all 3 levels from variety of sets

Just nitpicking, but really bugs me how straight-ahead he always is when driving
    Somebody teach the kid a cross, spin, hesi ... something to create a little space

18. marky :)

marky :) Member

If he's available I'd want to take him over the Banchero/Holgrem. He has the size/length, can defend, and has a polished offensive game. He can shoot, score face up, from the post, and drive.
    The only thing that makes me worried about Smith is that I hope he doesn't become a 'black hole' offensively but if hes putting up numbers then it doesn't matter.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

5th pick Jalen Duren C – Memphis – HT: 6-11 – WT: 250 – WING: 7-5 1/4 – Fr – In many draft classes he’d clearly be the best big man prospect but the 2022 draft is loaded with PF/C’s. Duren is 18 months younger than Chet. The year of the big man. Dwight Howard

I'll take him if we are late pick

20. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You sure are pretty reactionary and argumentative for the sake of it. The point you missed in your ire is the kid appears to be one misstep away from the ER.