1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

What Is The Endgame???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Jan 11, 2022.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

100% down, 35 wins in what year?

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It very cleary what I am getting at, the odds of us being a playoff team in 2024 in very slim if we want to build for the long haul.

Did you not understand when I asked do you want to be Orlando and the Wizards where since you think being a playoff team in 2024 is what we should be shooting for?

What is actually accomplished if we get to the playoffs in 2024 if we are on the treadmill of mediocrity like half of NBA teams?

Does that make you happy?

3. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Tilman and his cheapness will probably keep the team from ever being a perennial contender. But I think a good GM can make you a playoff team and a contender if things go right. But if you don't believe in Stone and think the Rockets will be run terribly then I agree that the playoffs are very unlikely anytime soon.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

I don't believe Tilman as the owner of the Rockets will have this organization in positions to be successful at the highest level. He did nothing but tear this organization down in a span of less than 3 years when he was gifted a perennial contender. what makes anyone think hes going to do better starting from scratch is beyond me. So yeah playoffs aren't happening anytime soon for me. nor will they even be hitting .500

5. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I didn't understand because I didn't say or infer any of the things you are asking me about. I don't think teams like the Cavs, Grizz, Suns, and Hornets have sacrificed their future and they have all gone from bottom level teams to playoff level teams in 3 years.

6. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

From what I've heard he's letting Stone run the show. And if that's the case the Rockets have a shot at a successful rebuild imo. He walked into a Morey led team with a different owner. Maybe his ego will accept choosing Stone and taking all the credit that way. But who knows.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why are you ignoring how many other # 1 picks they had beside Bender and Jackson and The Suns did not do a complete rebuild after the 4th year of Booker.

The question you have yet to answer is who is our Booker?

Even if you think we can be contenders in 2025 we have yet to actually find a Booker.

The Template of the Suns was being at the top of the lottery 8 out of 10 years, not some compressed 3 year window.

Yes it's extremely crazy to think we could go for HCA in 2025, the history of the NBA says otherwise.

YOLO likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

from what you heard. I'm not sure what that even means tbh.

Tilman has been doing exactly what I've said since he started making the worst decisions for this orgnization after the 17-18 season. It's continued to get worse before better. I'm not expecting it to be any different. It's going to be a very long ride before showing signs of being better

9. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

What I've heard means info from people that cover the Rockets and other NBA insiders. Basically the same way we get info for most NBA/Rockets news.

But I get where you are coming from now. If this is Tilman based no argument from me.

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Myles Turner is the ideal center for today's NBA (Imo). I would like to have him. He seems
    to accept the role of spot up shooter from 3 that Wood rejected earlier.

Protect the rim.

Gets some rebounds.

Allows Sengun to work underneath / in the paint.

*Side note: I posted a scenario where two trades were noted (end game thread)
    1) Eric Gordon to Cavs for Rubio / 1st Rd pick.
    2) Wood to Knicks for Mitchell Robinson/Kemba/ 2 First Rd picks

Robinson is not a 3-point shooter but is 146 ORtg and 107 DRtg
    mainly Rockets wanting the 2 first Rd picks and expiring contract.
    Rockets would probably continue losing....but can maybe get familiar
    with our players. Possibly re-sign for back up center role.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you think the Cav's Grizz Suns and Hornets did a 3 year rebuild?

All of those teams have been picking in the lottery and have been bottom 5 teams for the better stretch of 10 years and once again and once again why would anyone be happy just being a playoff team did you enjoy the JVG era?

Zach Levine has never been in the playoffs to this point if I remember correctly yet somehow Green developing into that means anything.

Even if all of those things come true which is a long shot in itself we are a Indy level team fighting for a 8 seed most years.

I ask again what has the front office done to give so much hope yes they found Martin Tate and KPJ those are all maybe rotational guys are a good playoff team, how is that impressive?

Did you forget how long the "process" was they had plenty of assets and the assets NO got from the Davis trade or the assets OKC have had since the George trade, OKC is much further along and is good example of a team that is still terrible.

Assets don't mean **** and we might have the least amount of assets when trading a franchise type guy.

12. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

1. The Cavs started their rebuild when LeBron left in 2018.
    2. Memphis started their rebuild in 2019 when they traded Gasol and Conley.
    3. The Hornets started their rebuild in 2019 when Kemba left.
    4. The Suns were terrible for a while so no real argument there. But they really started to build their foundation in 2018.

withmustard likes this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am not downplaying Luka, but the question remains do you think the rebuild is actually over?

Is that what you want the Rockets to be, a team with a big star that struggles to make it out of the 1st round?

No the rebuild was not over when we got Harden we still added players like Dwight and CP3 and unlike Luka Harden actually took us past the 1st round.

They are on their 2nd coach since they got Luka, yet somehow you think the rebuild is over?

What do think they are rebuilding too a fringe playoff team?

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude why do you keep ignoring the fact that those teams were terrible a lot longer than 3 years or the fact that none of the teams did a full rebuild over those 3 years.

Just count up the number of lottery and top 10 picks on those teams and they all have more than 2 years worth of them they picked on their own.

I am not going to go back and forth with you if you think those teams did a complete rebuild in just 3 years.

YOLO and withmustard like this.
  15. withmustard

withmustard Member

In the 2025-2026 season or any season before. $35.

16. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The Cavs were not terrible for a long time. LeBron left in 18. The Hornets weren't terrible with Kemba. The Grizz weren't terrible with Gasol and Conley and in fact they were actually a good team for years. The Suns were terrible for a long time and that's it. I don't understand why you are trying to argue against reality.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

Done. so just to be clear we're doing $35 tipjar for every season after this year until the 2025-2026 season on an over 35 wins?

2022-23
    2023-24
    2024-25
    2025-26

4 years. Each for $35 over/under 35 wins

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Rebuild from what?

The Grizzlies where a lottery team in both 2018 and 2019

The Hornets did not have a winning record since 15-16

The Cav's have not won anything yet, so what have they actually accomplished?

And again why should anybody just be happy to make the playoffs and get dusted in the 1st round?

Is that what you are rebuilding too because all of those teams except the Suns have not made it to the 2nd round in a decade.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So now the bar is not terrible?

Both those teams struggled to get over 500 in the last years those guys were on the team.

That's the reality both of those teams were bad the last 3 years those guys played I am not the one arguing against reality.

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

What do their last few years with their stars have to do with a rebuild? We are rebuilding not holding on to aging stars. I'm comparing the timelines for other teams when they let go of their stars and started over to when they became playoff level teams.

withmustard likes this.