1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Is The Endgame???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Jan 11, 2022.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

You said Endgame?! The Snap!

Wood, KPJ, and Silas!

[​IMG]

Joe Rocket likes this.
  2. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

They aren't really playing a bunch of veterans though. KPJ is a 21 year old prospect and Wood is a 26 year old that hasn't played a lot in his career. Figuring how they fit the rebuild is a good thing. If they don't they can move forward next year with KPJ and possibly this trade deadline with Wood.

That 7 game win streak didn't take them out of the bottom 3 which is where you want to be with the lotto odds.

#62 gmoney411, Jan 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  3. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

This is utter nonsense. Do I realize? I dont think you know what a coach does to be frank. Just so we are clear and I cant beleive I have to type this but I know there are development coaches and different jobs for each coach. That goes without saying or it should and I cant beleive I even have to type that because you said it like you were typing some big secret or knowledge fountain you just unleashed on me LOL SILAS IS IN CHARGE. He's in charge of the coaching staff and he's ultimately in charge of how the guys are developed especilaly on the floor.

So now we have it where in order to escape criticism Silas gets to hide behind assistant coaches lol. People will sit on here and argue anything. If someone says tit you say tat whether tat makes sense or not mattters not to you, you just gotta say it. Its ridiculous. Do me a favor, do something more than blame Silas's coaching staff while saying Silas is not responsible, you should be better than that.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

And they had to fire bad fit coaches along the way. They didnt get really good as a matter of fact til they got a coach who a superstar vet respected and then he wanted to go there. Ya'll dont hear me though. The Nets had a great coach who made the nets competitive and superstar vet wanted to go there. Ya'll dont hear me though.

#64 Joe Rocket, Jan 11, 2022
    hakeem94 likes this.
  5. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Low key brilliant post, they wont understand you though they are just going to reply some BS about you shouldnt want to win now "rebuilding takes a long time" LOL

#65 Joe Rocket, Jan 11, 2022
    Imanimal and hakeem94 like this.
  6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Wood is 26, turning 27 after this season. He's been on 6 teams in 6 seasons, with known attitude problems and multiple incidences on this team already including refusing to check in.

KPJ is a young prospect, but he's at his 3rd season and hasn't shown development so far. In addition, he's also displayed attitude problems on and off the court.

Both of these guys are high risk assets. KPJ's only saving grace is his age and the 50/10 game.

I would agree that the Rockets should only tolerate whatever they are doing now until the trade deadline. If they can't figure out Wood and KPJ by then, they need to shift all focus on the rookies.

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you should post more smileys... silas won more people with his smile then you will ever win with a brilliant logic... people dont want logic they want to feel good and approved
    [​IMG]

Joe Rocket likes this.
  8. HardenVolumeOne

getting jarrett allen( who is 23) instead of trading him for an expiring contract in exum would have accelerated this rebuild

Joe Rocket and Imanimal like this.
  9. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I don't think they need to figure it out by the deadline but that's a reasonable point in time. They can take the entire year to figure it out and then reassess in the off-season. I do think next year they need to start figuring out their direction and trying to find pieces that fit. If they can do that at the deadline it would be great but I think it's far from necessary.

10. StevieCrossover

Suck for 2 years, new coach, evaluate rookies (not sure if free agent will be kind to rockets for many years)

Or suck until rockets get super duper star with 1st round pick

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Rockets Wire has two trades I could accept.
    https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...an-wood-trade-proposals-by-espns-bobby-marks/

Wood x Mitchell Robinson / Kemba Walker / two First Round picks
    &
    Eric Gordon x Ricky Rubio / First Rd pick
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Rockets Roster to end season

1)Porter jr...........2)Augustin.......3) Rubio (injured)....[ Wall & Kemba- exile ]
    4)Jalen Green.....5)Armoni Brooks
    6)Mathews.........7)Josh Christopher
    8)Tate..................9)Kenyon Martin jr
    10)Sengun..........11)Mitchell Robinson / 12)Garuba

Expiring contracts
    Non Guaranteed next season
    Free Agent
    Top Draft Pick

Perhaps some money to go after Jalen Brunson or Tyus Jones in free agency

I'm giving Kevin Porter jr 50 games this season to figure things out.
    If things are not clicking I'm ready to play him at small forward.

1) Jalen Brunson.........2) Josh Christopher
    4) Jalen Green.............3) Mathews / 5) Armoni Brooks
    6) Porter jr....................7)) Kenyon Martin jr
    8) Banchero or Jabari Smith 9) Tate
    10) Sengun.....................11) Garuba

*12) home for Mitchell Robinson here if he re-signs

Summary:
    Augustin: is released in off season (non guaranteed $7.33M next yr)
    Kemba: buyout his $9.2M for next season
    Eric Gordon: salary Cavs obligation
    Wood: salary Knicks obligation
    Rubio: expiring contract
    Theis: traded to contender (Second Rd pick?)
    Nwaba: traded to contender (Second Rd pick?)
    Mitchell Robinson: expiring contract (maybe likes Houston)
    Wall: buy out this summer or traded as an expiring contract next season

Rockets probably have enough first round picks to get top (1-3 own) and
    move up to #4 or #5. Trade Porter jr if he doesn't like reduced ball handling duties.

Rockets may be trying to get Jabari Smith or Banchero and move up
    with their plethora of picks and get Jalen Ivey or Chet Holmgren.

That's your End Game

#71 ApacheWarrior, Jan 11, 2022
  12. TimDuncanDonaut

13. sydmill

sydmill Member

The endgame is, at a minimum, prolonged contention. I'm hoping for a run similar to the Spurs in the 00s. I've said it before, the Rockets are in the enviable position of rebuilding at a time when there is actual talent available in the draft. The 2021 haul includes a guy that looks like he can be a big time scorer, a guy that has very unique skills in the post and a guy that looks like he can be a rotational player on a good team. If Garuba can at least show enough to be penciled in as a backup 5 then you have half of a rotation out of one draft. If KPJ can improve upon his shot he has a place in a rotation or value as a trade piece and the same goes for Martin. With some luck that is 6/8 spots in a rotation accounted for with guys under 21. The Rockets have 2 firsts in the next 2 drafts to add to that or to consolidate for trade purposes. And then there is the cap space in the summer of 2023. The future can be bright if things break their way. My Outlook:
    This season: stink it up for one of the top 3 picks
    2022/2023: flirt with .500 and the play in
    2023/2024: playoffs
    2024/2025: home court and window open for contention

Corrosion and SWTsig like this.
  14. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

We may all be dead by 2025….what’s the point of a billionaire owned if we have to wait another 3 years to be relevant.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

Definitely not happening. Not even close to this delusional timeline

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. sydmill

sydmill Member

The climb?

17. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, CP3 over performed against almost all fans and experts expectations in Phoenix. Props to him, it's a great story. That really isn't the point though. The point was at the time his contract was arguably the worst in the NBA and universally regarded as a top 10 worst contract. Can we agree on that, or will you just LOL me again? If you can find an article written by any major media outlet that did not have CP3 in the top 10 worst contracts, that was written in the summer of 2020, I'd be shocked.

Your Phoenix playoff stat is actually relevant, so now we can begin a real conversation. It's a good stat to prove your point, seriously. I will say that for fun I looked up Phoenix's 2017 roster and only Devin Booker is still with the team. So, with the exception of 1 player, it took that team 3 years to go to the finals. For argument's sake, let's say Green pans out, then we could be 5 seasons away from a 50 win season. A lot of other things have to go right, I get it, but it's not far fetched. If the Rockets got Chet, Banchero, Smith or Ivey this offseason, then signed a max player the season after, then that could be a playoff team, and with some luck, the next Suns or Grizzlies.

In hindsight, maybe I shouldn't have said OP was being dramatic with a 10 year expectation. It could be 20 years, or just as easily could be 5 years. If the Rockets get the top pick this summer, I could see them in the playoffs by 2025, and hopefully going for HCA in 2026. We'll see, I know you hope I'm right.

#77 withmustard, Jan 11, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.
  18. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

So last season was Bookers 6th season and he went to the Finals. There was nobody on the Suns roster last year that was on their 2017 roster except Booker. So, with a good 1 player head start(hoping Green is ours), and a top pick, it took 3 years. They also missed big on Bender and Josh Jackson, both 4th overall.

Nobody knows, maybe I'm wrong. I just think it's a bit early to mentally sentence the Rockets to 10 years away from being competitive.

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

TLDR endgame:

This year - draft Smith,Banchero or Holmgren.

Next year - One more year of growing pains with the same core - tinker the lineup - try Scoot as 6th man with MAYBE a final playoff spot type push at the end.

2024 team signs premier FA prior to the season after core starting group and subs has been settled and starts its dynastic run of championships.

Corrosion likes this.
  20. sydmill

sydmill Member

Agreed. Some just dont appreciate that a rebuild is not linear. The Suns 19-20 team was under .500 and had not appreciably gotten better for several years. They add Paul and they're off. The Warriors were nothing special for years with Curry, Klay and Green. Give them some health and a new coach and they become the team of the decade. Even Hakeem's Rockets teams were stagnant until Rudy came along. There are several potential catalysts for this Rockets team: hitting top 3 in the draft, acquiring a big time player via trade/cap space in 2023, hiring a new coach, or something nobody can think of (like Dream learning to trust his teammates or Curry staying healthy).

Corrosion and Verbal Christ like this.