1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPjr has more to do with us winning games RIGHT NOW than anyone on the roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jan 6, 2022.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

We had James Harden just last season. Give them reasonable time to rebuild. In one off-season, I think they've added a lot of young talent right off the bat. This team has teenagers and other incredibly young players on it. They are just learning right now and finding out who has a future on the team. When the team looks like its ready to start winning/competing reasonably, yes, you obviously find them a real coach. And yes Tilman is a bad owner. But we also still don't really know enough about Stone yet to know if he can build a contender.

Nook and burlesk like this.
  2. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

I still think he's got good potential but it's not ideal that he's not breaking out in his 3rd year. Other players HAVE broken out after the 3rd year so hopefully he'll be able to reach his ceiling. Contract extension at the end of this year isn't happening though

harold bingo likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.nba.com/news/power-rankings-2021-22-week-13

The Rockets have been solid (plus-7.9 points per 100 possessions) in 244 total minutes with Porter on the floor without Jalen Green, but Porter’s offense isn’t the reason why. His true shooting percentage of 46.7% ranks 52nd among 54 players with a usage rate of 24% or higher and his 41.6% shooting in the paint ranks 189th among 191 players with at least 100 paint attempts. That game-winner came on an iso against Raul Neto, but Porter’s 0.66 points per possession on isolations ranks 53rd among 54 players who’ve had at least 50.

Corrosion, Nook, The Beard and 10 others like this.
  4. JW86

JW86 Member

5. Milos

Milos Member

Bingo
    It's like every additional dribble he makes in half court has dramatically diminished returns for the team
    Square peg in round hole
    Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing

Deckard, JayZ750, burlesk and 2 others like this.
  6. Milos

Milos Member

Thank you

He goes into 'battery-save mode' in every phase of the game except when he has the ball with a chance to score

Watching Wood set a 'pick' makes me think of Office Space ... just enough effort not to get benched

burlesk and BonziWellsGOAT like this.
  7. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I was very interested in who could actually be worse than KPJ so I looked it up, here are the answers for anyone interested. The only player in the league who is worse than KPJ in isolation may surprise you!

TS with 24% or higher usage:
    KPJ 46.7%
    Nickeil Alexander-Walker 46.5%
    Jalen Suggs 44.4%

Paint shooting with 100 attempts:
    KPJ 41.6%
    Alec Burks 39.6%
    Ricky Rubio 39.4%

Isolation:
    KPJ 0.66 PPP
    Tyler Herro (lol) 0.65 PPP

burlesk, TimDuncanDonaut and rfrocket like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Safe to say Wubio is distributing the ball a lot better and Herro does score from catch and shoot, off PnR.

They all got flaws when their games are dissected but look much better overall.

BallaDoc and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Seems to me no one has more to do with us winning games right now because we are NOT WINNING any games right now.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

:D Such a bizarre thread, right?

Rockets were on a 8-game losing streak. (Porter was there for 3/8; quit/drove off in one; suspended in another)
    Porter hits GW shot (in which he was otherwise ass besides/up until said shot)
    Thread gets made
    Rockets on 2-game losing streak in which they’re getting wiped off the floor (will be 3 after tonight)
    Rockets 3-14 since December 10 (one month ago)
    6 games since he returned: 1-5 | 28.4 minutes | 38/42/46 | 11 pts, 6 ast, 4 reb, 3 TO

But sure, Kevin Porter Jr. is why the Rockets are WINNING RIGHT NOW!

Nook, SamFisher, roxallways and 3 others like this.
  11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

The Rockets rushed starting him at pg.

Should’ve been John Wall’s back up.

But they were probably scared he’d lose his mind and start throwing things.

amaru likes this.
  12. vator

vator Contributing Member

Silas has more to do with us winning games than anybody else RIGHT NOW.

Yeah never mind, that sounds wrong too.

J.R. likes this.
  13. TimDuncanDonaut

CFers already know the kpj experiment is over, question is how long will it take for Rockets org to realize this.

Next draft more new guys. If Wood/Gordon leaves, also likely a young prospect. Org will need to make decisions on the young guys one way or another.

In a rebuild have to know who to keep developing and who to shed.

bmelo and daywalker02 like this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If KPJ, Green, Tate, Mathews, Brooks, Christopher, Ego, Nwaba are all 6'3 - 6'5" then we don't have any small forwards.........IMHO....we could use an Ariza like 6'8" SF to help out on the boards and with larger wings.

And, I don't think you need more then 3 or 4 of those guys....and we have 8 in our rotation now.....geez we are unbalanced.

DD

15. Milos

Milos Member

How about 6'10"?
    Jabari Smith Jr come on down to Htown

DaDakota and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don’t see the fascination with KPJ. He’s shooting 36% from the field and 60% from the foul line. That’s pretty bad. There are some things he does well but he’s gonna have to improve his shooting a lot if he wants to stick in this league.

17. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Is it more about number of years, or age?

don grahamleone and wlekfjv923n like this.
  18. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

HAD to like this one, just for the last line :D

Milos likes this.
  19. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

I like KPJ as a prospect and all, at the same time that I see how he's struggling -- and suspect that Christopher or Nix might do better as our pg right now. Would like to move KPJ around more, give him opportunities to succeed in more natural spots.

20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i like the idea of him as a 6man but i'm not sure if he's mentally able to accept that role.

vator likes this.