1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christoper vs Porter

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClearLakeTX, Jan 10, 2022.

?

Christopher or Porter

1. Christopher

131 vote(s)
    92.3%
  2. Porter

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Who would be better starting for the Rockets in the future?
    Christopher seems to turn over the ball also, but he at least looks to make passes and get teammates involved. He appears to bring more positive team energy also.

2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

As of right now Christopher is the better player and whatever perceived upside KPJ has is all dependent on him putting his emotions to the side. KPJ is ball dominant and Gup is more flexible. Christopher by all accounts is a leader and even keeled dude. I hope Christopher and Green get a chance to start together for an extended stretch at some point this year l. I’ve seen enough of the other pairing to know at this point it doesn’t work. Maybe long term it does, I don’t bet against these guys because they are in their position for a reason. Christopher at the minimum needs a consistent spot in the rotation

4. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Not bothered about the poll or going to try and project futures as that's pure speculation. I would however give Christopher a shot at starting instead of KPJ. Its not like we can play any worse and he hustles WAY harder on both ends of the court than I've ever seen from Porter. Give him a shot and see what happens I reckon, even though I don't think either are the solution at PG.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Definitely think JC should start if he keeps improving.

ThatboyPhuong likes this.
  6. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

JC just seems to fit better with JG. Maybe because of their history together.

Joe Rocket, Dobbizzle, saleem and 2 others like this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

To bring back the point that has been made 100 times already, the Rockets really need to make a decision on extending KPJ... like now. While they have two more seasons after this one to decide if they want to extend JC.

The decision to extend now in the current NBA climate really comes two years before you are technically a free agent. It's kind of weird that the Rockets seemingly have yet to decide on KPJ, and are sort of acting like they might actually extend him despite his poor play.

If it was me, I would have already moved KPJ to a bench role, and tried out some new combinations. Do I think that means JC starting??.... no, but I think he's more likely to be a productive NBA player than KPJ... even if KPJ does get a massive contract extension that he probably shouldn't be getting from the Rockets.

But I'm not the GM... Stone is, and it's his gamble to make, and he seems like a very very confident guy. We'll see if he's right, and how likely it is that Josh Christopher is a Rocket in two years because the Rockets took a bet on KPJ long term and extended him with the bet he'll finally be good at some point.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Ceilings appear to be:

KPJ = 6th man offensive guard (Lou/Crawford)
    Christopher = rotational TWO way shooting guard (Gordon/Smart/J Holiday)

Both have roles on a team if the price is right and no one flips any SUVs or runs out of locker rooms.

34to11, jiggyfly, marky :) and 6 others like this.
  10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Two different types of players. Christopher is way more grounded in the way he plays, no real flashiness, just a tough two way combo guard that can do a lot of everything, but not yet great at it.

kPJ is like all over the place, really erratic

11. juanming

juanming Member

Silas is here

He hug Porter

As long as Silas is here porter start

12. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

In a perfect world they need a true floor general. A natural point with vision. Who can also play D and make shots when needed.

KPJ and Green are too similar and DO NOT/cannot coexist on the floor together. If the Rox are dead set on keeping him then one or the other needs to come off the bench.

They should trade KPJ before the deadline in hopes of a high 2nd rd pick in return. Someday he may end up worth more, but at this time he's not.

EG should start for now, although he should be sent out as well for a younger player or draft pick before the deadline. He needs to go to a playoff team. Maybe a late 1st rd pick?

JC has made a ton of improvement in a short amount of time. He may prove to be the right fit next to Green given time.

Regardless, it's not going to be pretty until the crap is flushed and the bowl is clean.

Go Rox!

bj3175, slothy420 and jcmoon like this.
  13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I have seen enough of KPJ to determine he probably isn't going to be a difference maker. History dictates that in the NBA usually you are what you are by the third season. And at this point, he just isn't very good, with character issues to boot.

It was definitely a worthwhile gamble to nab him and see if we can turn him into useful, but it is what it is.

I don't see the value in starting him and having him run the offense at this point. Christopher is an unknown, and we have the bandwidth to hand him the keys and see what he can do. I am all for moving KPJ in a bench / niche role to see if he can find a way to be effective there, but it definitely looks like his cup of NBA coffee is just about empty.

Crashlanded19, Easy, fattz and 5 others like this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I really don't understand what the rush is in his development. Extend him for what he's worth now. Does he have any options? He got traded for a second round pick and just got suspended for an issue with his new team. It's been a rugged journey learning to play PG, to be honest the slowest I've ever seen, it tends to come more naturally.

Move him to the 6th man role, let him learn PG a little slower and help us score off the bench with more autonomy. I think it will help him. Frankly I think what's really happening is that he has not played up to any extension whatsoever, and they want to lock him up asap. Hurting the team at the moment if you ask me. 6th man is perfect and it doesn't mean he can't win back the starting spot.

HP3 likes this.
  15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

One thing is for sure, a lot of people thought Christopher was a pick that Stone picked because he was a friend of JG. So far, it's turned out to be a fantastic late first rounder, and Jrue Holiday is definitely a great comparison and really the best you hope for drafting at that position.

I do think he is an inherently better fit next to Green than KPJ. He hasn't really shown a lot of playmaking flashes (and right now plays more like a bench spark), but he's very good at attacking the basket, has a ton of defensive potential (pairs well with Green), and will very likely become a solid 3 point shooter.

16. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

If you move KPJ to a bench role, expect some stuff thrown your way, or worse.

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty disappointed in Porter this season. With each game I fear that he will not take that next step in terms of efficiency.

Christopher is an unknown but has shown good flashes.

18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Christopher: Younger, stays late working on his shot after the game, good attitude.

Porter Jr.: Older, throws soup, literally bails on his team DURING the game, questionable attitude.

Hmmm....which to pick?

19. bmelo

bmelo Member

Why i feel like it’s Silas disguised as a poster trying to make decisions

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'm totally with you there. I don't think there should be any rush with him, but the way that the org is playing him and treating him now just says to me otherwise that they are feeling pressure to make a decision sooner rather than later.

If it was me, I'd opt for trying some different roles for him like 6th man, and be willing to just keep him on the roster for the rest of his contract, and say to myself that what his agent says he's going to get isn't a reality. I think it's definitely worth the risk to not extend him, and let the chips fall where they may, but I just see otherwise with their approach early this season to figure that out right this second.

Mathloom and jcmoon like this.