1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teachers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DudeWah, Sep 16, 2015.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wut?

And you want people to actually have a conversation with you?

Yeah, I thought you were the talking points guy, and I guess I was right.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If you don't know what the average TRS benefit is, how do you know it's not true?

3. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I'm in TCDRS, which works more like an annuity than pension, so I'm not even capped by my current payrate. If I retire at 65, projection wise I can receive roughly 4x my current salary (granted this would be after 43 years of employment). I'm currently contributing 7% of my salary.
    Haven't tried to predict if the stock market would've been better though.

Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  4. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

But my wife was born MUCH later than 1960 - her SS would be significantly higher simply because she will earn a higher salary throughout her life based on entering the workforce when salaries were much higher than someone born in 1960. You keep looking at how much retired people are getting now as opposed to how much retired people will be getting in 15yrs.

Plus, with a masters degree and 27yrs in most other businesses she would typically be making more than she does teaching, which would also increase the amount going in to her social security thereby increasing her social security benefit.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. adoo

adoo Member

one of my relatives is 65 and has retired from working as a public school teacher for LAUSD for 42 years;
    her monthly retirement check (before all the deductions) is the same as her last monthly pay check.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Is it really so different in teaching? The school administration is the management. If you don't want to be a supervisor, principal, superintendent, athletic director, or an assistant to those positions, you aren't going to get big increases in pay.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

My wife will get 60% of her highest 2 year average after 30 years. Because of sick days that go unused it actually be after 28 years. If she stayed for 40 years it would be 80%. Because she didn't move full-time into education until she was already 32, we'll take the earlier one and enjoy retirement at 60.

Personally, I wish she didn't hate OPKs, because she'd make more with the same benefits and have summers off working in the local school system instead of for the college.

Nook likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

All public school positions are capped, it does not matter if it's management and in white collar even non management has greater earning capacity since there is greater earning capacity.

The only big increases you get from upper level management is if other schools are trying to hire you away, and that's very few administrators and very few districts that have that kind of money.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Makes you wonder what happened to HTM that he has such disdain for teachers and the profession.

On the SS issue, my ex will be getting completely screwed once she retires. She didn't start teaching until late and even though she has more than enough quarters paid into SS while she was in the private sector, she won't get full benefits thanks to the WEP.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I tend to have great patience ( definitely in a good way) and don’t care much about what is said about me (perhaps a weakness )

Teaching economics/ statistics would be the ultimate preference. But I plan to get certified for social studies 7-12 also so I can also teach history or geography maybe . I got the math because I figured it would be a better ticket in .

Yeah I will have to be a bit assertive . My normal teaching style is more relaxed , but I’m sure I will have to set a tone .

thanks for the advice so far . Seems
    Like the choice of school is extremely important. Makes sense that I want to put myself in a position to succeed

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have dual certification in History and Science and Special ED, I would go for a SPED certification as well not really hard and depending on the School District you will have a lot of SPED kids in your class anyway.

If you are SPED and Math certified you can pretty much go wherever you want.

Take a look at districts that have SPED Co-teachers who embed in regular classrooms, it will be much easier since you do not have to do lesson plans and are serving as a glorified tutor, but you can do as much as you actually want in the classroom.

It's very rewarding to work with a smaller population because you see a lot of growth, and they appreciate you more.

Just food for thought, and you can change assignments in a year whatever you do if you are not happy and a good enough, especially with a math certification.

Take a look at SPED EC-12.

https://www.tx.nesinc.com/content/docs/161PrepManual.pdf

If this interest you, tell them in the interview that you are looking to get SPED certified and watch them wet themselves.

;)

12. HTM

HTM Member

See, that's where you're wrong. I don't have disdain for teachers or the profession and have never expressed any at any point. You just think that because you're extremely defensive.

13. HTM

HTM Member

Why don't you question how @DFWRocket knows TRS benefits are less then SS?

14. HTM

HTM Member

Where does this notion come from that if all teachers decided to go into the private sector they would be white collar professionals killing it and making bank? That's so ridiculous.

Many, if not most, teachers are not equipped to go out and get high paying white collar jobs as business executives, accountants, doctors, engineers or lawyers etc etc.

As if a degree in education/masters in education is interchangeable with all these other things. It's not.

#274 HTM, Jan 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Because he explained it right here.

But my wife was born MUCH later than 1960 - her SS would be significantly higher simply because she will earn a higher salary throughout her life based on entering the workforce when salaries were much higher than someone born in 1960. You keep looking at how much retired people are getting now as opposed to how much retired people will be getting in 15yrs.

So again what are you using to come to the conclusion you did?

You don't even know the actual amounts.

16. HTM

HTM Member

That doesn't explain that..

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Because a person with a master’s degree and the skill set of a teacher is usually killing it.

Why are teachers not equipped to go out and get high paying white collar jobs, what do you think they are missing?

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you are not even trying to have an actual discussion anymore.

You are just deflecting, you can't even come up with the actual figures to prove your point.

Run out of talking points did you.

19. HTM

HTM Member

Ask me straightforward questions and I'll give you straightforward answer.

20. HTM

HTM Member

Not all masters degrees are the same. Are folks with masters degrees in history or sociology, by and large, killing it?

Most people aren't equipped to go out and get high paying white collar jobs. That's not an insult to most people. That's just true. Obtaining the degrees and GPA necessary to acquire those jobs is difficult.

Not all degrees are the same. It's not an insult to recognize that obtaining a communications degree or an education degree is not as difficult as an engineering degree or a finance degree.