1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wizards Broadcast goes off the rails

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joshuaao, Jan 5, 2022.

1. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Did he confuse Kevin Porter Jr with KJ Martin? I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

3. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

no he was referring to KPJs dad, who went to jail for manslaughter

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

5. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah I have a hard time believing a professional broadcaster would actually be referencing his dads incarceration. I hope it’s just a mistake, he should still apologize though.

6. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea, like...the way this dude said it was.....I cant imagine anyone would just lose their mind and say something like that.

roslolian and amaru like this.
  7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

34to11, joshuaao and HP3 like this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean....if you were the Wizards commentator, would you care to do any research on this iteration of the Rockets lmao.

Houstunna, Yung-T, moonsh0t and 7 others like this.
  9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

That's true, I just find it funny that he just randomly thinks KPJ is another former players son without any research. Does he also think Armoni Brooks is Aaron Brooks Nephew.

Maybe he also thinks KPJ is MPJs little brother

34to11, rhee, dragonwill and 6 others like this.
  10. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wow, that has to be a misunderstanding of his father.

DD

12. bj3175

bj3175 Member

right this is outrageous

13. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, theoretically it would be possible if Kevin Porter married Michael Porter and they adopted 2 kids who ended up being top-flight basketball players. Stranger things have happened...:p

14. 18pbr

18pbr Member

i think he got confuse of kevin porter that use to play for the wizards in the 70s and 80s and assume KPJ was his son.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Absolutely no one would be referencing his dads manslaughter. It doesn’t even make sense. Why would he be saying that his dad shot some one at the right time

Yung-T, BigggReddd, Deckard and 7 others like this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Not a chance in hell he was referring to KPJ's dad. He would be committing career suicide for no reason.

17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I would be very surprised if the Wizards' broadcaster was knowledgeable enough to know that KPJ's dad served time for manslaughter. That would take a lot of research in an area where broadcasters usually are not researching. The comment didn't sound malicious either -- it sounded like he was trying to be complimentary to KPJ in a way. The more likely explanation is he thought KPJ's dad was a basketball player. I think this was a misunderstanding and then an unfortunate coincidence.

18. crenshaw

crenshaw Member

Heard it and paid no mind to it. My first thought wa the announcer referencing KP senior as a basketball player.

Didnt think it was malicious, because they were quite objective throughout the broadcast.

19. BonziWellsGOAT

Yeah Rockets twitter got whipped up into an outrage frenzy calling for the dudes job and no one stopped to think how stupid they sounded. There is ZERO chance that is what the announcer was talking about.

20. amaru

amaru Member

I agree. There was a Kevin Porter who played for the Wizards so the Wizards color commentator probably assumed KPJ was his son. To be fair there aren’t a whole lot of people named “ Kevin Porter”.

KPJ isn’t a household name so while we are familiar with his story because we are in the Houston bubble (or Cavs bubble) most outside of those bubbles are not. How many of us know the background of every player on a team with less than 15 wins on the season?

Finally it’d be career suicide to mention something like that intentionally. It sounds bad but the most likely scenario was that this was an honest mistake. I know we’re Rockets fan and want to rally behind KPJ now that he hit a big shot after quitting on the team but calling for the announcer to be fired is ridiculous. An apology should be issued at the most.