1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No, not all our guards are better than him.

I'm honestly engaging with you against my better judgement. To think that someone like Armoni Brooks is better at playmaking than Green is absurd. His handles are no where near bad. They just aren't elite. No he doesn't have Steph Curry handles. However his handles are far better than someone like rookie Lavine who is his go to comparison. You didn't see Lavine his rookie year do advanced cross over plus step back combo moves that shook the likes of AD for a clutch 3 pt make.

jcmoon likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Basically all of our guards are better at running an offense than Green. That's what I said. Green can force his way to the rim and hope to get fouled any time he wants, so that's something he has over most others, but if Green is trying to create for others he's more likely to turn the ball over than to do so successfully. He's just not a point guard. At all.

Like, even a little bit.

He's a SG, which is fine. That's why Green superfans are going to just continue to be upset that they aren't going to force their hero into playing a position he'd be terrible at.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Interestingly, Wagner has not been talked much about.

4. fchowd0311

I have not once seen someone like Armoni Brooks make some sort of advanced difficult pass off a pick and roll that I've seen Green done multiple times. Same with JC. Like you are being too obvious now.

Someone like DJ Augustine or John Wall... Ya they are obviously better passing pgs. But outside of those two, I don't see anyone else on the roster out of all our guards that passes better than Green.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

My take on it is Green played for the G-league which unfortunately for him doesn't derive huge profits from fans so while college basketball mostly soldiered on in the face of a pandemic and his peers got full college seasons in(and colleges made their money at the expense of the health of it's players/fans/staff), half the teams in the G-league cancelled their seasons and Green was left with 15 games over a month in a 'Bubble" playing against a handful of teams. The "raw" comments I have seen are likely contributed to him getting like 5 months less of game reps than the rest of his peers. I feel for him because had there not been a pandemic he probably would have had been more prepared but that's just not how it shook out for him....but I don't think it means he is a lesser player than we thought.

calbear and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. fchowd0311

Ya people don't realize that outside of high school before the NBA season, he has FIFTEEN games under his belt while college players like Mobley had a whole NCAA season.

glimmertwins likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, you haven't seen the flash from them.....but you also haven't seen them consistently have more turnovers than assists.

It just comes down to what you value, do you value flash or do you value quality?

Green is one of the worst passers on the team....but he's flashy. For some, that's the most important.

8. dmoneybangbang

That’s fair. However Mobley looks like he’s on the last year of his rookie contract, not his first. There were doubts about how well he would translate which were obviously wrong.

I like Chet and feel like that would be a great pairing. He doesn’t have Mobley’s speed and agility but he does have the IQ plus intriguing playmaking.

9. fchowd0311

So your criteria is just assist to turnover ratio and not actually watching the games?

Okay so if you are logically consistent, you would agree that Armoni is a better passer than Sengun right?

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

From what I see Booby has to sprinkle in a few compliments as he shts on green constantly just in case green pops off in the future.

We get it u wish we drafted Mobley.

I see green making great improvement, soon he will b the complete one way player he is destined to b.

Green has a great shooting night. Ah yes green did alright, still needs to work on his lack of defense but he is on his way to being the one way player.

Just give the man his credits when he does well and btch when he does awful.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, what an interesting argument for flash over substance. The whole "ignore the numbers" bit was pushed by several terrible players who did flashy BS....but I thought we all laughed at them for it?

If a player has a negative ratio, they can't possibly be a player that should be running the point....because that's really, really bad.

For example, House didn't have a negative ratio this season, and he's terrible.

The ONLY players who played at least 100 minutes with a negative ratio is Green and Theis.....on the entire roster.

So Green isn't just a little bit bad, he's absolutely terrible.

Green superfans throw constant tantrums about KPJ's turnovers, but his assist to turnover numbers are amazing compared to Green.

I am all for Green superfans being zealous supporters of their guy, but thinking he could play the PG is flat out delusional.

12. fchowd0311

Lol... Negative ratio.... You mean under 1?

Sample sizes for all our rookies are too small. That's my point. And you can't judge passing skills based on turnovers. Did you actually have the intellectual curiosity to break down how he gets his turnovers? From watching the actual games it seems like most of his turnovers come from things like aggressive charges and getting the ball stripped on drives rather than bad passes.

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  13. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

I'd like to see him run some pick and rolls with Wood. Green can pass the ball great, but Silas doesn't really set it up for him to show his passing skills

#793 kingkingston, Jan 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    DreamShook likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I consider a ratio under 1 to be "negative" in this context, yes.

That should be a bare minimum for anyone handling the ball.

Now sure, you can go ahead and excuse away his turnovers....but you could do that for literally any player. It must be awful to be trying to push a player you constantly have to make excuses for since the facts don't match the narrative.

15. fchowd0311

Saying a 19 year old rookie is the worst passed on our team because of a limited sample size that shows more turnovers than assists is an actual agenda. There is more to analyzing a player's attributes than box score stats. Anyone who has actually had the patience to watch all Rocket games this season will acknowledge Green has a solid feel for passing out of a pick and roll.

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

if I see Jalen parked in the corner one more time..

Silas really doesn't use Jalen Green's athleticism in his offense at all. Very rarely do we see a pick where Jalen can get down hill and use his speed. It's pretty annoying.

Nook, fchowd0311 and Verbal Christ like this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, so saying that a 19 year old rookie who has shown to be terrible at attempting to run offenses shouldn't be a PG due to him being more likely to turn the ball over than to get an assist is just terrible and is showing an "agenda" but suggesting that a 19 year old rookie who has shown to be terrible at attempting to run an offense SHOULD be a PG is completely fine?

Hmm, I wonder who really has an "agenda" here?

You guys are simply hilarious when you go all out with your delusional shtick.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Yes a lot of people questioned Mobley, which is why he fell to third. I didn't have questions about how he would translate as the NBA allows almost no contact now - but I did question how assertive he would be on offense and whether he had the personality to lead a team. The reality is that those questions still remain.

No, Chet isn't as quick from a dead stop as Mobley is and I would also agree that Mobley is more agile from a dead stop. Chet is longer than Mobley and he plays with more of a motor. Chet is as quick as Mobley once he is moving and he is very agile once he gets started. He has a better handle as well. The concern I have with Chet offensively is in the half court. Because he isn't perimeter quick to start moving, I am not sure he will ever be able to put the ball on the floor and create in the half set. He will still score in the half set off screens and rolls to the basket. He just isn't going to be someone like KD that will create buckets in the half court consistently. I will say that Chet is a good passer so he will create for others in the half court as a secondary scorer.

If Chet improves his perimeter shooting he can likely get 20 points a night in his prime. He will get flushes, buckets in transition, three's and put backs. There is a slight chance he gets good enough to put the ball on the floor and pull up from a dead stop.

If he can reach 20 a night, he will be a super star because of his overall defense, shot blocking, screening and efficiency.

Deuce and jcmoon like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Joke‘s on you.

Why so serious.....

fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

I'm not that concerned with the turnover to assist ratio of Jalen Green right now.

I am far more concerned with how well he sees the floor and whether he sees his teammates than whether he can get the pass where he wants it to be.

It is very very hard to improve court vision, and even then the improvements are only marginal. However passing and ball handling can be improved, especially for a player that did not primarily focus on basketball until he was older.

Green has shown that he sees the floor better than players like LeVine, Beal and Booker did as rookies. He doesn't see the floor as well as natural point guard or some of the elite shooting guards like Harden and Wade. Still, overall I am optimistic that he will be a good enough passer to not have to contribute off ball every trip down the court. He sees the floor similar to how Gil Arenas did but he isn't as selfish a player.

Green has soft hands and he has really good dexterity with his hands, his ball handling will improve to the point of being a weapon one on one and at least adequate as a passer.

He struggles as a rebounder and I see nothing that is encouraging in that part of his game because he doesn't have a really stout frame and he tends to float out to the perimeter. Really if he can get up to 4 rebounds a game it won't be an issue long term.

Right now he isn't forcing it, but he has shown in the past he has a desire to be a volume scorer so I suspect that part will come out once he is more comfortable.

He doesn't have the overall game that Mobley, Cunningham or Barnes have.... but he is clearly the most gifted scorer and likely shooter and he will improve at the other parts. The fact he works hard and smart should make him at least adequate defensively and in the right system can be hidden enough to not stick out.