1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teachers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DudeWah, Sep 16, 2015.

1. HTM

HTM Member

What percentage of Americans do you think earn more then $70K a year? If you're making $67k, you're like in the top 20% of earners in the country.

You question also necessarily implies that most teachers could just leave their jobs and some corporation is going to snap them up to for a job making $70k +.... which I don't buy. Six figure jobs are pretty tough to come by... If you're making six figure's you're in a small minority of earners.

Like teachers can just quit and go work as an investment banker at Goldman and Sachs? That's probably not an option for very many. Sure, a few people forsake highly lucrative careers to teach but not many.

2. HTM

HTM Member

Happy to be provided data. Looks like most of the Houston school districts have a similar salary schedule.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why would something from 2008 still be accurate?

What does any of this have to do with teachers and their work hours?

instructional days are when students are in the building its not teacher work days.

4. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate

My daughter is a senior in college and currently a student teacher in Tomball ISD. She currently student teaches 5 days a week from 7:30 am to 6:30 pm most days without enough time to eat lunch and for this effort she gets paid ZERO. Her mentor teacher told another teacher she was trying to break her by making her be there before other student teachers and leave after almost every other person in the school. Its like a year long job interview with free labor for the school. When her UofH classes resume it will go back to 4 days a week but still at zero pay. Those types of hours leave no time for an after school job or any kind of social life. Assuming next year she gets a job in the same school district her starting pay will be ~60K and normal hours ~ 7:30 am to 5:30 pm. Any way you cut it that's a long day and not great compensation considering hours outside work planning, work emails etc.

IVFL and jiggyfly like this.
  5. IVFL

IVFL Member

Soooooo, I need to drive down to Texas, get a teachers pay stub and submit it here on Clutchfans for you to believe that is what a teacher is being paid? Better yet here https://govsalaries.com/gutierrez-crystal-m-48146830 I did a google maps search of Texas, I then went to a rural area in the state looked up the school district affiliated with it and clicked on 3 teachers salaries provided on Govsalaries. This was the lowest one. Now this is totally random, and found in 5 minutes. If its that easy to find, how common do you think it is. Its Texas, Its an actual reported salary. Do you need me to call this teachers principal to get a minute by minute accounting of their time working in the school and at home. Oh wait, you wont take that, its anecdotal. . . . . .

You still didn't answer my question What in your mind is the skill level required for this job you have never done. This is just another example of you cherry picking what you will engage with. I asked you a straight forward question and you ignore it entirely. What is the level of skill required for teaching and how is the salary justified with that skill level. Come on, engage in a good faith conversation.

No this isn't a Houston only message board, and we are not subject to only pulling information from the Houston area. Look at the threads on this board, the vast majority are connected to topics that are of a global, or national discussion. But, on this topic HTM has decreed that we should only look at this very narrow scope of information because it kind of backs up his bad argument. THAT IS CALLED CHERRY PICKING DATA.

Your argument is riddled with ignorance. Ignorance is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity. Do better.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Data for what?

The largest district in the area HISD does not pay that much and why are you only focusing on Houston, what about all the districts in the state of Texas?

The average teacher salary in Texas is 45k

And why did you ignore the fact that you are not getting paid much more 10 years in once you have started a family?

You are still in here trying to say teacher only work from 7:30 to 3:30 as if they can show up and leave at those times.

Very few teachers leave exactly when school is out and very few teachers don't work when they get home, when do you think things are graded and how long do you think it takes to grade daily work or test?

subtomic and IVFL like this.
  7. leroy

leroy Member

Well deflected. Who said anything about leaving to become an investment banker? My question did not imply that they could just leave and go make more. My question asked if it would be acceptable in the corporate world to only be making $!0k more 25 years after you started.

IVFL likes this.
  8. juicystream

juicystream Member

Where do you get that idea?

When I left my job as a CPA to open my own firm my salary was $46K, required to work 2200 hours per year. My salary as a teacher in my county would be $58,675 today (given my education level & experience at the time). Given the 8 year difference from when I left my job and today, I won't say I would have made more as a teacher, but it would have been fairly comparable, despite having no summer break, no pension, much crappier insurance, and an actual requirement to work beyond 40 hours a week (rather than an expectation, which 100% teachers in it for the long haul do). Sure, if I had stayed there I'd have eventually been a partner and made more, but that is the only level making 6 figures at firms outside of major cities.

My wife is a college teacher. Her pay is $53,604. She teaches year round. She is the advisor for over 100 students year round.

I see a wide range of professions and incomes in my line of work. I have one client who was a teacher that received over $120K/year pension because he finished out his career as a superintendent. Obviously you are only going to approach that if you go into administration, which many teachers never care to do because they love the classroom and they usually require doctorates where as in the business world you don't need that. If I wanted to do it all over again, I'd have gone into investment banking or lending. Those clients make $$$$$ despite being in a closely related field.

The teacher pay issue is a real concern in high cost areas, but in a lot of the country, teachers really don't have this massive gap.

Nook likes this.
  9. HTM

HTM Member

Dude, the very line in your line says the average teacher salary in Texas is $57,641.... that, presumably, takes into all teacher compensation across the state... and gives us... you know... an average. That's a pretty fair number to work with.

Skill level required is a major factor when considering compensation for any job. Generally, the more technical, specialized and rare the skill the higher the pay. That's something to consider when considering teacher salary. That's a big reason why the heart surgeon makes $500,000.00 and the nurse makes $75,000.00. That shouldn't be a difficult concept.

10. HTM

HTM Member

It's a disingenuous question. There's a whole host of considerations going on here. How do salaries scale up in other public sector jobs? How do salaries scale up in the non-corporate world? Why am I just going to the corporate world? Why am I assuming teachers are going to be able to just easily find a job making $60K in corporate America?

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This shows you don't have a clue those are some of the most coveted teaching jobs in the Houston area they are not easy to get, they have the pick of the litter and require more experience and higher education levels.

Thanks for putting your ignorance on full display about the teaching profession.

No that's not what the top 20% earn, you really don't have a clue.

"The top 20% of all Americans earn over $100,000 in income. While that's interesting in and of itself, what even more important is that the top 20% are also receiving over 50% of all the income earned in the country."

And 70k is the very top of the starting salary of teachers in texas and then it does not go up much, do you think most teachers should be just out of college?

12. HTM

HTM Member

Apparently salaried folks in other areas of the economy just show up to work.. strictly do 8 hours and then leave everything behind. Who knew.

13. HTM

HTM Member

Dude, the salary schedules look the same in HISD, Katy ISD and Pasadena ISD too. Good grief.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So what do you think the skill level is of a teacher?

Answer the question, do you think anybody can do it or does it require a special set of skills?

IVFL likes this.
  15. HTM

HTM Member

I used this from the WSJ. It's from 2016 so the numbers may have changed a bit.

https://graphics.wsj.com/what-percent/

16. HTM

HTM Member

I think their compensation is fair given the skill level required. I think it takes more skills then some jobs and less then others.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Klein, Cy Fair and Katy pay more than those school districts HISD and Pasadena don't pay 70K a year to start, it seems you can't even stick to your own argument.

You want tell us again how easy it is to get a job in those districts?

Good grief indeed, you can't stay on the subjects you brought up.

18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone is claiming this from the back and forth you guys are having.

The focus is on teachers not getting paid well enough to do a fairly demanding job and working a ton of hours to do so but not being fairly compensated. I'd like to see your thoughts on having a starting salary of $55k and 10-15 years later, you are only up at $65k. That seems like a very fair question and it's a complaint I've heard a ton. I'm not saying $65k is bad money, but to only have a $10k increase in 10-15 years of doing your job, that surely is asinine.

You seem to base your argument on mismanagement of funds since you state that per pupil we are top 5 in the world as a country as far as spending is concerned.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Notable Member
    Supporting Member

All teachers do is play dodgeball for a few months then go on vacation.

dobro1229, superfob, IVFL and 3 others like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nice dodge.

What do you think is the skill set of a good teacher since you think it's easy to get a job in Klein and Cy Fair?

You do know its a job where you need to invest in a college degree and be certified, districts like Cy Fair and Katy want you to have graduate level education.

What other jobs that pay the same require you to have that level of education and certification?