1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. loses temper, leaves Toyota Center during 2nd half

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 1, 2022.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

[/QUOTE]

No you don't get it, for some reason you want believe a article written for a click bait rag that SI currently is and not believe a guy who you claim to like.

So the rule for Feigen does not apply to Mannix why do want to believe him?

Yes its bad press I never claimed either way but for some reason you wanted to disagree with how feigen reported the incident, why is that?

burlesk likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So who is the average guy Feigen?

3. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Yes but if other teams are cleaning up their messes for decades, than it's even more telling of the Rockets right now, because they can't even clean up their messes like every other team has done for decades.

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

How have I disagreed with Feign? I just said that I didn't read Mannix and that I don't know if Feign is being given accurate information. I believe that the Rockets told Feign that everything is fine. That may be true, but if it wasn't, they would still tell him everything is fine because the information that has gotten out is already damaging and embarrassing enough. Why would any team ever double down and tell the local beat writer that things are even worse than they look? The answer is they never would. So while Feign is reputable, you have to take this particular story with a grain of salt, otherwise our players get traded for 70 cents on the dollar instead 80 cents, and the coaching staff gets an overhaul in the off season.

It's like asking a guy in front of his grandma if he likes the shirt his grandma bought him, the answer will always be "yes". As I said earlier, this isn't about believing anyone or anything except my eyes. You and I both knew that the Rockets had locker room issues this week before the Mannix article was written. I'm choosing to trust my intuition instead taking the coin flip that Feign gave us. Feign may be right, you may be right, I may be right. My point is there is no way for anyone to really know, so just go with your gut. Your gut tells you that this was overblown, I respect that, 50% chance you're right. My gut tells me there is a 50% chance you're right too, and we'll never really know. Other posters were talking about how other teams have these problems but they do a better job of covering it up. The Rockets missed their first chance to cover this up, why wouldn't they take the 2nd chance with Feign's article, IF, they have something to cover up?

[​IMG]

#924 withmustard, Jan 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  5. hakeemthagreat

Not on Silas. You guys scapegoat ppl you don't like

6. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

I would like it if the Rockets could turn out to be a place where KPJ could figure out enough of his **** to become a positive off and on the court. I believe this could happen. I still want to support the brother, and the Rockets, both. How cool would it be if it worked out? If they keep him, I volunteer to be his one-on-one buffer guy.

#926 burlesk, Jan 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    Slyonebluejay likes this.
  7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

How exactly did my post scapegoat anybody? I was simply pointing out how stupid it is to say that a good leader would mean Porter never snapped. What the **** are you talking about?

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Haha

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...evin-Porter-Jr-makes-amends-with-16749886.php

WASHINGTON — Kevin Porter Jr. wanted to move on and believed he and the Rockets had. But first, having returned to the team after his one-game suspension, he had something he had to do.

“I apologized,” Porter said after Tuesday’s practice. “I did it to the group. I did it individually.

“I think just as a man and as a human, that‘s the right thing to do. Even if you feel like you’re in the right, there’s ways to approach things in situations, and I felt as a man, I didn’t approach it the right way. So I apologize. I feel like that’s just something you need to do as a principled thing.”

Porter was suspended for one game Monday after a halftime tirade Saturday left him too emotional to play and led him to leave Toyota Center entirely during a loss to the Denver Nuggets.

Though it was his first such incident with the Rockets in what has been nearly a year with the team, it drew extra attention because of Porter’s history with temper issues, including a locker room blowup when he was with the Cavaliers, who wound up trading the former first-round pick.

It also came on the same night Rockets center Christian Wood was suspended after seeming uninterested in entering the game in the second half. Wood began the game on the bench because he was late to that day’s COVID testing.

Coach Stephen Silas said he suspended both players to hold them accountable and to demonstrate that certain lines cannot be crossed. He also believes managing and moving past such incidents could make relationships stronger.

“As far as coach Silas, we’re passionate; we love each other,” Porter said. “You’re going to bump heads, especially when you see everyone every day. You’re on the road with them. It’s always love at the end of the day. We all care about each other, care about what we do.

“The people that support me — that’s who I do it for. This organization supports me. I come in every day. I put in the work. I’m here, and I’m here to stay. This organization gave me an opportunity. I don’t care about the temper (reputation) or whatever.”

Porter, 21, said before the season that the Rockets organization saved his life after his issues in Cleveland. He said Tuesday he now feels more strongly about that relationship because he and the Rockets’ leadership, including Silas, assistant coach John Lucas and general manager Rafael Stone, were able to deal with his mistake.

“I feel like being able to go through something like that, tolerate it and manage it how they did like that, that alone should tell people that we’re close as a group,” Porter said. “So, I mean, people are going to take it like they take it on the outside. In house, we as a group, we’re good.”

Porter said that includes his relationship with Lucas. The Rockets have wanted the assistant coach’s role as a mentor to be especially important and influential in Porter’s development. On Saturday, Porter was angry when he reached the locker room and went over the edge after first Silas and then Lucas strongly criticized the team’s play.

Lucas has a long history of applying what he has called “tough love” with athletes and others dealing with personal issues ranging from drug and alcohol dependency to anger management. Porter laughed at the term “tough love” but said he still welcomes it.

“I knew coming to Houston Luke’s background,” Porter said. “I did my own research, and I knew it was going to be a love and hate thing, but it’s never really hate. He cares about me, and I care about him. We want to elevate each other — him as a coach and me as a player and as a person.”

Silas said he was optimistic relationships would be strengthened after they had been stress-tested. But he also often considers how he influences his young team.

“I think about the modeling as far as how I act and how I react,” Silas said. “I think about how I have to hold people accountable and think about how the messaging has to be more positive than negative for us to grow. But they also know that, you know, coach doesn’t mess around when it’s needed.

“I love my players. I love these guys. And people that you sometimes you get into it with, those are the people you love the most. I’m glad that we’re kind of beyond it.”

Silas said “getting beyond all of that other stuff and actually just being on the court (Tuesday) was great.”

Porter, however, had his eye on Wednesday’s game against the Wizards. Though he made a point to say he was not trying to prove anything to those outside the organization, he did have something in mind for his return.

“I’m back,” Porter said. “I’m going to go out there and play Scoot ball, and we’re going to get a win, do whatever it takes to get a win.”

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

thanks for posting this. I still think what KPJ did was pretty bad, but the fact that he’s legitimately contrite makes me feel a lot better. It does sound like the org is taking a long haul approach with him and really investing in him, and that obviously includes patience and an expectation there will be some bumps. As long as he apologizes, doesn’t quit on his team again, puts his head down and busts his ass, I’m willing to let it ride with him. But this can’t become a habit.

Wood, on the other hand, is dead to me. Where’s your apology Christian Wood?

awc713, Easy, burlesk and 3 others like this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Is KPJ still going to get optional practices? That right there is a problem. One player gets it then they all want it.

tehG l i d e likes this.
  12. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Becoming very clear from these articles which of our 2 players deserves the chance to turn his **** around, and which one doesn't give a ****. Get Wood and his toxic ass out of here.

PatBev and Patience like this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Where is Woods apology? His should be the loudest.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wood knows he is a mercenary, he knows his place in the NBA, just thought he was an All Star mercenary which he is not right now.

15. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Doesn't need the "right now" qualifier, he never has been an All-star. The only way anybody could fool themselves into thinking he's even close to one is to never watch him play and just look at his box scores (which even then aren't close this season.) Doesn't even try on D, kills the transition game by running it up when he rebounds, terrible passer if he even tries which is rare, soft as **** and can't play in the post at all. He's not remotely close to all-star caliber, and I doubt he ever will be with his attitude. People on here love to criticise Russ and Wall, yet consistently overrate Wood. Both of those guys are literal lightyears beyond anything Wood has ever produced in their prime, bonafide All-star/upper tier players, and yet Wood gets the slack. It's insane.

16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Scoot Ball? This kid doesn't have a clue and has been a headache everywhere he's been. They need to get this kid away from Green, Christopher & Sengun ASAP. The Rockets got some work to do before the trade deadline.

tehG l i d e and charlieaustin like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

LOL He threw something and argued with his coach (okay maybe not that big a deal), he then in the middle of a game left the locker room and got in his car and drove away and did not come back (is a big deal). It is CLEAR that the Rockets brass DOESN'T see it is a big deal because they see how talented he is and they like the fact he will admit his mistakes..... but just because Stone and Silas don't think it isn't a big deal, doesn't mean it shouldn't be.

Arguments between players and assistant coaches happen.... they usually are not good things and show chemistry issues but they are not that uncommon.

Getting in your car at half time and leaving the arena........ that doesn't usually happen and that is a big deal.

Look around the league at the strong organizations and winning head coaches and front offices and ask yourself what would they have done if a player fought with a coach, threw something and left the arena in the middle of the game....... would Carlisle or Nurse or Popovich or Williams suspend them for one game? Would those organizations them purposely down play what happened and defend the players that were at fault? Can you see Pat Riley defending them?

18. PhiSlammaJamma

What I would say is that I've seen it all before, at every level. Some teams deal with it. Some teams can't. Been on a team that couldn't. Porter is lucky to still be here. In the end the incident itself isn't important. It's how the Rockets react to it. Not only does he have history in Cleveland, he's already been in trouble here twice. It wears thin real fast. Think he's sincere. But after he saw what they were saying about Brown, it's easy to question his motive in going through the apology tour.

Last thing, when you apologize, you can't say you were "right". That's the first thing you say you weren't. So he has to be careful how he words it.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The fact that KPJ got an apology article and Wood did not shows a lot about who the org wants to keep.

DD

KingSamJack, Dobbizzle and PatBev like this.
  20. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't really agree that KPJ quit. I've discussed this with others and I guess it's up to you how you define "quitting", but in case you didn't already know this detail - the rockets benched KPJ for his behavior. They told him at halftime that he would not be playing in the second half, and for that reason, he left the arena. To me, quitting is when you refuse to play for your team. The team told him that he wasn't allowed to play, and I think that's an important distinction. This doesn't excuse his decision, it's still a bad one, but it's a lot different that he drove home AFTER being told he wasn't playing anymore. Wood, on the other hand, was asked to sub in, and refused...that's quitting.