1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wood and KPJ Suspended

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Jan 3, 2022.

1. fattz

fattz Member

The Rockets are responding vs reacting with the goal of making best of unprofessional actions. The organization probably wants to move on from these two but knows they both need court time to maximizing their trade return. Remember there is a difference between punishment and discipline. All a harsh punishment would do is hurt the organization. Their response shows they don’t care at all about these two, and just want to move on from them; knowing there is no real hope of making a difference. Hopefully getting pennies on the dollar vs just parting ways with them.

aaquaa likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

PREACH IT BROTHA!

Houston absorbed its eighth straight loss in Philadelphia on Monday.

Kevin Porter Jr. and Christian Wood didn’t play.

Don’t worry—they’ll be back on Wednesday.

One game. One game. That’s Porter Jr.’s punishment for quitting on his team at halftime of a double-digit loss to Denver. That’s right: When the going got tough, Porter Jr., the Rockets’ starting point guard, literally hopped in his car and got going.

Before Antonio Brown quit, Porter Jr. did.

One game. One freaking game. That’s the slap on the wrist Wood received for refusing to go into the same game in the second half. At halftime, Wood reportedly got into a heated argument with assistant coach John Lucas. Lucas, in addition to having more than four decades of NBA playing and coaching experience, has devoted countless hours to helping embattled athletes become better versions of themselves.

One beef with Lucas, and Wood decided to let Nikola Jokić be someone else’s problem.

And the Rockets made it worse by shrugging the incidents off as the kind of thing that happens during an NBA season. On Monday, Stephen Silas addressed reporters for the first time since the suspensions were announced. He said Porter Jr. “lost his temper.” He called the incident with Wood “a disagreement as far as him going back in.”

“My job is to hold people accountable [for] their actions,” Silas said. “And not overreact at all but react appropriately … one thing about disputes, you always come out of it with a better understanding of each other. With what happened, hopefully everybody grows from it. Maybe it doesn’t happen immediately. Hopefully it does.”

Poor Silas. He spent 20 years chasing this opportunity. He has been an assistant in Charlotte, New Orleans, Cleveland, Golden State and Dallas. He has worked with Stephen Curry, helped develop Kemba Walker, and spent two seasons grooming Luka Dončić.

He wanted to coach an NBA team.

He got the Rockets.

What is Silas doing answering these questions anyway? He didn’t put together this group. Rafael Stone did. Yet every time the front office makes a mess, Silas has to clean it up. James Harden wants out? Here’s Silas. John Wall wants in? Here’s Silas. Porter Jr. and Wood were two of Stone’s most visible acquisitions. When they quit on the team … here’s Silas.

There’s a solution to all this: Cut Porter Jr. Waive him. Release him. Whatever. Eat what’s left of the $1.8 million he’s owed this season and the $3.2 million he’s got next and move on. Trade Wood. Call up Charlotte or Portland or any other team desperate for frontcourt infusion and swap him for spare parts.

Need a player? There’s an ex-All-Star point guard on the bench rarin’ to go.

Cold moves? Sure. Porter Jr. appeared to find a home in Houston. After an incident-filled rookie year in Cleveland, Porter Jr. thrived with the Rockets. He averaged 16.6 points last season. He handed out 6.3 assists. Among the reasons Houston shelved John Wall was to give Porter Jr. room to grow. At the Rockets media day in September, Porter Jr. suggested the organization saved his life.

“[Porter Jr.] is emotional, he’s a competitor, he’s a good kid, he owns up to his mistakes when he makes them and tries not to make mistakes again,” said Silas. “That’s pretty much all you can ask for from a guy.”

Wood has put up numbers since signing a three-year, $41 million deal with Houston in 2020. Last season he finished fourth in the voting for Most Improved Player. He’s averaging 16.8 points in this one. In theory, a 26-year-old big man with Wood’s skill set is exactly the kind of player the Rockets want to build around.

But it can’t work. It won’t work. Not anymore. Arguing with your coach is one thing. Quitting on your team is another. How can Porter Jr. and Wood walk back into that locker room to teammates that can’t be sure how committed they are to playing with them?

The Rockets have too much at stake. Jalen Green is a brilliant young talent. Alperen Şengün, a sturdy, 6' 10" big man, looks like one of the steals of the first round. Jae'Sean Tate could have P.J. Tucker-like potential. There’s another high lottery pick on the way. The cupboard isn’t bare in Houston. The culture is.

The Rockets need to fix that. Stone needs to fix that. There’s no long-term future for Porter Jr. or Wood in Houston. Not anymore. Porter Jr. is extension eligible after this season. Think the Rockets should commit real money to him? Wood has one year left on his contract. He can be extended, but why would Houston dangle franchise player cash to a player who has yet to have an impact on winning?

The Rockets need a course correction. They have the right coach. And they have good young players. Green is the future. Şengün is the future. Tate is the future. Chet Holmgren, Paolo Banchero, Jabari Smith or whoever Houston snags in the lottery is the future. Those are the guys the Rockets should be building around. Every other roster spot should be committed to players who can help them succeed.

Porter Jr. and Wood made their choices.

The Rockets need to make theirs.

Tommyboy likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good writeup, and I agree with Wood, but not Porter.

DD

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Do you agree they have the right coach like this guy? I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until I heard that good cop/bad cop bs.

aaquaa likes this.
  5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

No. Silas has to go too. We need a guy that runs a tighter ship.

aaquaa likes this.
  6. DreamR

DreamR Member

"Me love you long time" - Stephen Silas

Dobbizzle and Plowman like this.
  7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He isn't wrong necessarily, it's important for mental health issues to be sorted out accordingly and I'm glad the Rockets are being sensitive to the issue, specifically Coach Silas. However, I'm still disappointed with the punishment handed down to KPJ. I think you can punish the kid accordingly, while also ensuring that you are providing him whatever help he needs. I'd be pretty pissed if I was a player on that team and I have a different set of standards then some other player. I get it if were Lebron James, James Harden, etc, but KPJ?! I personally don't like it.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  8. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

[​IMG]
    Rockets next season with Silas coaching

BamBam, hakeem94, rocket43 and 2 others like this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Yea I do hope kpj gets demoted or lessen mins. It sends a wrong message to play the Next game with norm mins after doing what he did no matter how passionate he was about the game

aaquaa, Dobbizzle and ElPigto like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Do not love you, Stephen.

aaquaa likes this.
  11. DaDakota

Too many hot heads around here would toss the baby out with the bath water.

DD

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

well at least u are right about Wood and KPJ being babies.

aaquaa, Dobbizzle and DaDakota like this.
  13. DaDakota

Well played @Aruba77 a tip of the cap to ya Govna!

DD

Aruba77 likes this.
  14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Hey, give the reporter a break. He needed some eyeballs. I also agree with Wood but not Porter. No contract extension for Porter. Let the market determine his worth. He has another year and a half before we have to decide on whether to pay him a lot.

Wood has more trade value. 17 and 10 speaks for itself despite some attitude and only moderate at best defensive potential. You don't have to be a Rocket lol scientist to know with a good point guard sending lobs it would be better.

groovemachine likes this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you owe sengun ROY... if you love him then give it to him...
    if you love fans then give us the good coaching and wins...if you love nwaba then teach him 3pt shot...
    but no the love is an empty word for you mr silas....

16. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Would that good PG stop him dribbling the ball up court after every rebound? How about making him play defense? How about stop him sulking if he misses? How about make him a team player? How about making him pass the ball? Post up? Box out? The only way you can think Wood is a good player at this point is if you read box scores without actually watching him play.

aaquaa likes this.
  17. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I was thinking of a Jae'sean Tate tbh...my mistake has been getting stars/wannabe stars. Maybe I need to stick to lovable role players for a while!

And I think its way too late to return it at this point he wore it to the game and everything! I got it from the Rockets shop since any other store only has Wood or Wall jerseys

B-Bob likes this.