1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who are your late 1st round targets with the Heat/Nets pick?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ickaruto, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

We've had, what, five draft picks in two years to get a sense of who Stone likes:

1. Young guys - we haven't drafted an upperclassman yet
    2. Length - no one shorter than 6'4 so far
    3. Physical traits - four out of five could be considered above average in terms of speed or hops, and the last guy Sengun really had to be great with skills alone to compensate for his deficiencies here
    4. International friendly - two out of five come from this group, which isn't perhaps at the OKC/SAS level of "we prefer foreigners over domestic prospects", but it's also above average for sure
    5. Five star HS recruits - this only applies to Green and Christopher, but when you look at the Christopher pick in particular over guys who had more hype going into the draft (Cam Thomas, Jaden Springer, Bones Hyland, Miles McBride, Ayo Dosunmu, Sharife Cooper), you can point to size (above), youth (above), or the fact that he was more highly touted coming out of HS

The sample size is still really small, but my hunch is that the priorities above will hold fast over time. I haven't watched any college bball this year, so this is strictly based off of the typical online mock drafts. But if you cull from the list of common players listed anywhere from picks 10-40, and you stick to the criteria above, then these are potential targets with that Miami pick:

- Caleb Houstan
    - Kendall Brown
    - Michael Foster
    - Patrick Baldwin
    - Matthew Cleveland
    - Max Christie
    - Ousmane Dieng
    - Dyson Daniels
    - Yannick Nzosa
    - Trevor Keels
    - Harrison Ingram
    - Peyton Watson
    - Brandon Huntley-Hatfield

D-rock, BigMaloe, ickaruto and 5 others like this.
  2. DreamR

DreamR Member

I like Christian Koloko

7'1 Center averaging 3 blocks along with 12 pts a game

Pretty good at stealing the ball and free-throw percentage isn't bad for someone his size

D-rock and RedIsen like this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Jovic is a freaky offensive guy at 6'10. I would love that on this team if he slid into the 20s.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Johnny Davis will go in the 5-10 range of this draft, but he is someone that the Rockets were looking at.

A.J. Griffin is also going to end up in the lottery, but he is another player that the Rockets should look at.

ickaruto, D-rock, lionaire and 2 others like this.
  5. Harlem

Harlem Member

I like him too but I think he will fall to the second

6. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Been thinking of him as a late round big that would make a good backup. Mark Williams and Walker Kessler also make sense here. Could see Kessler staying another year, but he's come alive the past few games and could be playing himself into the first round.

Still hoping for a pass-first PG, although this draft is kinda lacking top end talent in that department. Kennedy Chandler's stock is all over the place, but he remains my hopeful and realistic late pick. Could see TyTy Washington going around ~15. Also like Trevor Keels.. it'd be cool to put him in lineups him with Josh Christopher and have a 6'5 bruising back court.

7. sydmill

sydmill Member

Three guys that I would love to see drop are Keegan Murray, AJ Griffin and Kennedy Chandler. I think all 3 are lottery talents and probably arent there at the Miami pick but that is who I would like to see. I think Tari Eason is a great option as well who is likely to be available around 20.

Also could be interested in Jeremy Sochan,

Basically I am looking for a bigger KJ Martin to come off the bench assuming the Rockets can nab one of the top power forwards at the top of the draft.

#27 sydmill, Jan 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    D-rock and ickaruto like this.
  8. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

Murray will be a top 8 pick. Griffin will likely ball out until March and get boosted into late lotto.

I have not followed Chandler

sydmill likes this.
  9. sydmill

sydmill Member

Agreed. Each of the guys I mentioned are lottery level talents. But they come with some questions. Murray's only possible issue is that he is older for a Sophomore and his production this year is so much higher there is a legit question of whether he is feasting on weak opponents. The best team he faced (Iowa St) he scored 9 points on 4/17 shooting. Griffin has a history of inuries that followed him to Duke. And Chandler is undersized at 6', 175 lbs.

For the record, I would consider Murray or Griffin with the Rockets top pick if it falls outside of the top 5 or 6.

ickaruto likes this.
  10. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

@ 5 or 6 i would lean Mathurin as of right now.

11. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

I've seen Sochan's name pop up a bit. Not sure if he's played himself into the first round yet. I think his shooting is still questionable, albeit improved from the beginning of the season. I do like the rest of his game though. For me, he's currently a 2nd round guy that will probably play his way up.

Kendall Brown is who I instantly thought of when you mentioned "bigger KJ Martin". Already one of the better NCAA defenders as a freshman. Quick leaper, freaky vert, dunks everything..handles, passing and IQ are surprisingly good. Shot looks decent, on low volume. A dream scenario is Kendall drops to the mid-late teens, Rockets draft him, and he becomes Shawn Marion 2.0.

12. PWR

PWR Member

Give me the best PG in the nation...Max Abmas.
    * 2 straight years of 43% from 3
    * Averaging 22 ppg over the last 2 years
    * Career 87% free throw shooter
    * Certified Bucket
    * Unlimited 3 point range

D-rock likes this.
  13. sydmill

sydmill Member

Love that if that could happen. Getting out the draft with Chet/Paulo/Jabari and Kendall Brown would top the Green and co 2021 draft IMO.

Really like Mathurin but like him behind Murray and Kendall Brown for sure and probably AJ Griffin as well. He is more 8-10 in my mind.

ickaruto and RedIsen like this.
  14. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

I love watching Abmas play. Seems like every shot he makes is a tough shot with a defender on him, which kinda scares me. The ability to make difficult shots is important, but so is the ability to create easy looks. I need to watch more, but seems like he doesn't really create space or separation.

He's an undersized, shoot-first PG with questionable defense and playmaking skills. What's his ceiling, Patty Mills? Eddie House? Solid NBA players with respectable careers, but how soon would you pick them in a draft?

I think people were expecting him to work on playmaking and defense when he opted to return to school, but he looks like the same player as last year, when he was projected as a 2nd round-undrafted guy. So far he's proved his shooting isn't a fluke, but not sure if he's improved much elsewhere.

I'll cut him a bit of slack..Kevin Obanor did transfer out to Texas Tech, so I can't imagine he has very many trustworthy scorers to pass to.

D-rock, jiggyfly and PWR like this.
  15. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

TyTy Washington's first start at PG with Sahvir Wheeler out..drops 17 assists. Granted its against a weak UGA squad. Floater game and reads on full display. You can tell he's been working on his patience and operating the PnR.

Kentucky guards have been doing well in the league. Think there's something to Coach Cal and his system? Or are these just talented players doing their thing?

D-rock likes this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Definitely hoping to acquire a pick(s) in this draft that can combined with the Heat/Nets pick to move up to the 10ish range. Would love to pick up either Davis or Griffin.

sydmill and Nook like this.
  17. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

Josh Minott

He is going to be so good.

18. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Alondes Williams
    EJ Liddell

D-rock and ickaruto like this.
  19. sydmill

sydmill Member

Between KPJ/Green/Christopher and, maybe, Nix the Rockets have pieces to a guard rotation that can grow together over the next few seasons depending upon their development. And I am feeling pretty good about Sengun/Garuba as the 5 depth chart for that same time frame. What the Rockets need, IMO, are forwards. Luckily there are 2 guys that would slot in perfectly at the 4 in this draft in Smith and Banchero. If they miss out on both of those prospects then I think AJ Griffin is a heck of a consolation prize with their top pick. As for the second pick, I think they have to be looking at BPA though I would imagine preference would be given to another forward over a guard or center in the same tier. Probably go opposite of where tehy went at the top of the draft (so pick a 3 to compliment Banchero/Smith or a 4 to compliment Griffin or select a combo forward that can mesh with either). Ive been on the Tari Eason bandwagon for a minute as a guy that, at worst, can be a plus defender at the 3 or the 4 and be a weapon in transition. His jumper is not that bad either though it will need work. Think a bigger/longer Martin (at worst). Id also be interested in Jeremy Sochan from Baylor for his defense/rebounding potential and Nikola Jovic or Roko Prcacin as guys that could bring a different dimernsion offesnsively with their playmaking and perimeter skills.

D-rock likes this.
  20. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

Was in the Minott hype train back in January.

Hollinger currently has him as his #10 overall prospect in the 2022 draft.

Love the kid.