1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The R.E.S.P.E.C.T is gone!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Jan 2, 2022.

1. bmelo

bmelo Member

I get babysitting player like i dont know Ron Artest. But KPJ? He shouldnt be a starter even on worst team since they fake sit Wall just so he can play

TEXNIFICENT and PeterKingX like this.
  2. crenshaw

crenshaw Member

This is what KPJ doesnt understand.. undeservedly ---- we gave him the keys to the franchise, and threw millions to not play maxplayer jwall so he can develop. What a waste!! We should cut our losses, and try bring back john in order to salvage a season that was supposed to devoted to growth for our rooks.

This is the stone-silas legacy so far. I believe they wont be back next year.

bmelo, PeterKingX and aaquaa like this.
  3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I can only go by what the players from GS said about him after he was fired and the way they responded to him after GS won their first Championship. They spoke well of him both times and said he deserved to be apart of the celebration.

Ex-players also spoke well of Silas too BUT as a developer. I know he's never been a Head coach, however being a leader is like having Covid, either you GOT IT or YOU DON'T.

My apologies, to those who had it.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The man or the myth

Rocket River
    People act like JVG got us out of the first round.

Nook likes this.
  5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

How long has Kerr coached the Dubs? That’s how long no one has hired, and few have even interviewed, Mark Jax.

6. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

@8:56

The greatest of all time hated losing almost as much as he loved to win. As it was mentioned before- losing is demoralizing. It’s easy for us as fans sitting around drinking beer to get giddy over the prospect of a high draft pick but keep in mind these players want to win.

If you have any ounce of a competitive spirit then you can see where the players are coming from. I’m not excusing their behavior, but rather seeing both sides. We need a coach who has to hate losing so much that it drives him to be better.

Silas is content to smile and wear the head coach badge.

7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Many coaches went years without coaching, come back and do well; MDA and Rick Adelman to name a few. However, I get your point but I think he is what they need at this point.

There isn't a leader on this team and I think he or someone with similar leadership type skills is what's needed at this point.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

As much as I put the emphasis on players Coaches still have some function and worth in their communicating of team goals, style of play, and tactics. They still need to get everyone on board and manage players being aware of team morale and dealing with egos etc. Why would players respect an ex player with no coaching experience despire the rings over one with no rings? It’s an assumption. Monty Williams commands a lot of respect without any prior championships as a player. It’s not about rings its about communication, delivery, and vision.

Williams like Nurse like Kerr is a collaborative coach which is the trend in the NBA. This means they highly value players input. They make decisions based on the team’s consensus. The players are partners rather than strictly following orders into battle.

We have to thank Lebron for this player empowerment era. But also it’s a sign of the times as millennials and centennials are demanding more input and decision making in the corporate sector as well. The only issue here is KPJ and Wood are taking empowerment too far by way of sitting out or leaving not remembering that they still have a job as a player and responsibility to fans.

Milos and harold bingo like this.
  9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

This is all assuming Silas isn’t a leader. Why do you choose MDA or Adelman deeming them leaders over Silas? MDA doesn’t lead as there have been several reports of team dysfunction. Those guys are really lax as coaches actually.

aaquaa likes this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol and you are giving hard pass silas here because hes not only happy with losing, he intentionaly loses and he sabotaged us when we were on the winning streak by beching sengun when hot and reinserting thesiesis into lineup despite loisng 14 something stright playing thesis...

hes also encourages alpi to go to foul trouble and wont fix it because it was a wonderful excuse for him not to play alpi the winningest player...

he cant help himself, losing is his drug, its is litereally in his blood and his genes

11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

That is an assumption. Do you know or you think so. And Why do you think so? Because he doesn’t jump up and down or scream? Is that the only way to show his disdain for losing? He has said repeatedly how he dislikes losing and how he’s trying to win with this team. I doubt any coach is content with not winning. The onus like i said is on players. These two buffoons wood and KPJ need to be cut since they don’t fit into team goals and priorities. Cut the cancer out. Hopefully they thrive grow and be better elsewhere.

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you can be lax and be a leader.... and its almost we just need someone not to sabotage us... just an average coach is enough... silas is the worst of the worst

13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Not sure what you’re going by other than win loss record. Interesting you feel this way considering news of those two players quitting on the team. Considering their track record. Considering the team is inexperienced and this literally is his first year with this group outside the harden drama and mixing and matching parts from last year. What do you expect from such a roster? Did monty williams become great all of a sudden? A culture needs to be established first and Silas is certainly establishing a culture of working hard and discipline. He simply does have the personnel.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

When you hear his assistant say they are using a “good cop/ bad cop” approach, when your rotations are mind-boggling to anybody watching the games, when veterans (Wood) are showing such disrespect as to refuse to play, there is at least some responsibility that should be born by the “head” coach. I am a huge fan of personal responsibility and meritocracy, but there is a reason people are assigned the role of leader. KPJ and Wood should face consequences for their action, but to dismiss Silas’ contribution to this mess shows a lack of understanding for how team dynamics work. The front office needs to address both problems.

Milos, Xopher and aaquaa like this.
  15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I used MDA and Adelman as coaches who were out of the coaching circle for awhile but came back and did farely well.

However, both of those coaches had veteran teams, so they didn't have to be leaders.

16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

No again I disagree. Not all things are placed on the head coach. As a manager myself in an organization I can attest to this. You can’t control everything your people do and to think so is just not realistic or reasonable. What you can do is establish a culture and preach goals and philosophy. What you cannot do is pretend that your people are mindless beings listening to every word you say and not making their own decisions. And if you want to talk responsibility then the management team including Morey is to blame for getting Wood knowing his track record. Same with Stone’s team in getting KPJ. But the onus and blame shouldn’t be misdirected at a man simply doing his job and getting players better.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  17. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Because they would feel the coach's empathy. They would know he's been there and succeeded.

Not a fan of the trend where the players, the coaches and to an extent the front noffice are all partners, "all in this together". A basketball team should not be a democratic environment. If there is a system, sometimes there have to be enforcers, i.e. coaches and sensible vets. Of course one wishes they never need to show up, but they have to be there in case 1) there's a sh!tshow like the one we heard about and 2) the leader loses credibility, and as a result, the team. (Actually in that case I would advocate the Alpha be taken down, ripped limb from limb and eaten by the pack.)

This is why I'd prefer having a benevolent dictator at the helm to a "good guy" any day.
    Young players have no business taking part in team decisions. (Yeah, I'm a system guy.)
    There is no Larry O'Brien Participation Trophy.

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’m not advocating that all blame goes to Silas, but to hold him blameless is silly. I have been managing people for 37 years and throwing away young, talented employees without trying to manage them is lazy. I directed an organization of 150 employees and now own a restaurant of 50+ employees. At some point, patience runs out and employees must be let go and that includes managers. Accountability should be organization wide, not just at the worker level. Some managers can be great delegators and very effective at it, but that does not abdicate their responsibility as head of a team. The “good cop, bad cop” is for criminals not talented employees. Not only is Silas failing with his basketball decisions, he is failing as a leader of men. I’m not saying he should be fired, but his weaknesses should be addressed as much as those of this employees. Just like the employees, if he can’t correct his mistakes, he should be let go.

aaquaa likes this.
  19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I remain convicted that Mark Jax is the wrong one at the time for this team, this league.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mark Jax the coach? He didn't do bad, you can't have a HOF coach all the time.