1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Kevin Porter Jr. loses temper, leaves Toyota Center during 2nd half

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 1, 2022.

1. crenshaw

crenshaw Member

I dont get the apologists. There is no difference. Both acted inexcusably and unprofessionally. Their me-first attitude will not and should not fly for our beloved rockets. OTW, our franchise will not be taken serioisly and will always be taken for the years ahead. As a legit fan of the rockets, i would never compromise the franchise for any of them. I dont care even if they are allworld players (wc certainly they are not!!)

2. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Yet when we were calling him an ******* we were somehow out of line. Pretty sure some Rockets players would agree right now.

3. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

That is 100% not true. Porter has not missed practices any more than other players kn the team. Random person on a thread saying something does not make it true. Still what he did is not tolerable and not much different from Antonio Brown. Sadly, his time in the NBA may be over.

4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Both are true what KPJ did was messed and Silas sucks as a head coach. People fight tooth and nail to deny something on here until its staring them right in the face. I predicted this would happen and that KPJ needed to be given a lesser role only to be called a KPJ hater. You guys are gonna defend Silas until he permanently makes Housotn the most undesirable place to come. Geez even Kevin Mchale thinks its a mistake the way he's handling Sengun lol Dude is bad.

ArtV, PeterKingX and AroundTheWorld like this.
  5. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

The problem here isn't just the specific outburst, but what really seems like more endemic problems. How coachable is KPJ? And by that, I don't mean the yelling and screaming type of stuff. I mean, if tomorrow the staff says "you're not working out at point guard, we're going to move you to the three," can anyone say for sure how he'd take it? Or if he needs to come off the bench and be our sixth man?

I don't know the answer to those questions. But based on what's being said around the grapevine, the coaching staff does. And if KPJ can't be coached like a normal player, then what are we doing here? Sometimes we talk about him as if he was a top-5 pick and budding star. But he's not. He was the 30th pick, shoots poor, and turns the ball over at a high rate and has little composure. This isn't James Harden where you can excuse star coddling. We're talking about KPJ here. Just ridiculous that things are the way they are around here.

6. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

Go Wood go, and take KPJ with you!

PeterKingX and AroundTheWorld like this.
  7. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Im Just curious. Who the heck defends Silas. I think he is pretty universally hated on this forum. Also who is to say having a smaller role would not have led to a meltdown?

8. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

LMAO

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Seriously who defends Silas. You said you all that makes it sound like a whole bunch of us do. I have really yet read a comment that says he is a good coach

11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Im not gonna give you a list if you dont see it then you dont im not interested in proving it to you or arguing about it.

#791 Joe Rocket, Jan 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  12. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Alright have a nice day. Be hard to come up with a list when one doesn't exist anyway. Wasn't looking for a argument was genuinely curious

13. koby1868

koby1868 Member

Oh how quickly you change your opinion DD. The speculation of what actually took place is killing everyone here. KPJ has been hurt all year, they probably have something in place in regards to when he is practicing. Can't wait for them to just say what his suspension is and let us move past this.

daywalker02 and Verbal Christ like this.
  14. Asian Sensation

[​IMG]

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Silas is the punching bag for everything and everyone but I doubt everything is his fault.

The FO seems to be hellbent on finishing the season with him so pile on him some more.

eliefor3 likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...s-should-suspend-Kevin-Porter-Jr-16743613.php

Kevin Porter Jr. should be suspended for a week. Or longer. And if the unpredictable Porter quits on the Rockets again, a rebuilding franchise will instantly know what Cleveland believed: Porter isn’t worth the trouble.

Christian Wood should be suspended for a few games. And the worst team in the Western Conference should already be exploring Wood’s trade market.

Normally, this would be simple. All business. Nothing personal.

But the Rockets are 10-27 and have dropped seven consecutive games, the season after finishing an NBA-worst 17-55. Which means that this is messy, personal and complicated for general manager Rafael Stone and coach Stephen Silas, who have been linked together for two bad seasons and have produced a combined 27-82 record that says everything about the current state of professional basketball inside Toyota Center.

James Harden didn’t want to play for the Rockets anymore. Russell Westbrook didn’t want to play with Harden anymore and, thus, didn’t want to remain with the Rockets.

A season later?

The 21-year-old Porter is leaving the Rockets’ home arena midgame Saturday night during another blowout, while the overpaid Wood — when you’re making $13.6 million to “lead” a 10-27 team, you’re technically overpaid — isn’t interested in re-entering a game that he barely played.

Who does Wood think he is, Scottie Pippen?

[…]

But the Rockets have also been internally and externally conflicted for two seasons, and it’s not a coincidence that Porter is leaving the arena and Wood is basically refusing to leave the bench at the same time that the Rockets are continuously losing … all while paying veteran point guard John Wall an absurd $44.3 million to do nothing throughout the 2021-22 season.

[…]

Porter has never come close to winning anything in the NBA and is still trying to convince the entire Association that he can be relied upon for 82 games. He had off-the-court issues in Cleveland and forced his way off the rebuilding Cavaliers, raised concerns with the tanking Rockets last season and is now having heated exchanges and losing his temper as a second-year Rocket.

If he can’t take hard coaching from Silas or the widely respected John Lucas, that’s on Porter, not the Rockets.

But, again, this entire situation is messy and complicated for the Rockets. From a real world NBA wins-and-losses perspective, Silas has little to stand on. Lucas has the loudest old-school voice in the room. But Lucas was also a finalist for the job that Silas received. And when Silas took the Rockets job, Harden and Westbrook were still in uniform, while Wood was initially signed to complement Harden on the hardwood.

Fans will somewhat buy into whatever “Light the Fuse” is, even when the Rockets are 10-27, as long as a young team is gradually improving and it’s clear that the squad’s big-name young talent is all-in on the court.

Green scored a team-high 29 points, hit five 3s and converted 12-of-14 free throws in the same home loss that saw Porter leave the arena mid-game. Wood wasn’t interested in returning to the same game, even though he’s supposed to be leading Green and Porter on the court.

That undercuts Silas, Lucas and the entire coaching staff.

It undercuts everything the young Rockets are supposed to be building during a foundational season.

It’s also hard to preach chemistry, sacrifice and teamwork — and eventually create a better defense — when you can’t even keep an unproven 21-year-old guard in your own arena on a game night.

17. fattz

fattz Member

Yes he missed up big time and it seem like the end of his world but it’s not. He can and should recover from this. Maybe move to a 6 man role.

18. RoxFanfrom93

RoxFanfrom93 Member

Remember JG was tweeting Rockets should free john wall. He obviously knows what that means for KPJ and I'm sure it's not personal but he knows he would have better numbers next to Wall

19. RoxFanfrom93

RoxFanfrom93 Member

This is easy. Trade Wood. Make KPJ run second unit on 20mpg. Start Wall with Green. Have a vet that holds the young guns accountable since the coach is meek.

PeterKingX and J Sizzle like this.
  20. Vivid

Vivid Member

Both examples of toxic behavior that can destroy team chemistry. I think people see it like a relationship: you have the crazy passionate person that argues a lot and the passive-aggressive type that stops communicating. I think people see Cwood as further down the distractive path to the point of not caring anymore. KPJ still appears to care but has real mental roadblocks preventing him from channeling his passion properly.

I would also add that KPJ has acknowledged his issues ( even going so far as to say that Jalen should learn what to avoid by seeing how he acted), and with Wood it's like the opposite. Fiery guys like Artest still had love from his teammates because they knew him and his heart. Me-first dudes like Wood put up numbers but never really contribute to winning, they just happen to be on winning teams with clear alphas they are forced to defer to.

Rocket fans should just thank their lucky stars because if the lottery went a different way, we just had our only positives from last season implode in a single game. This was always Jalen and Segun's team, now we see if KPJ is part of that core and what we are able to get for Wood.

glimmertwins, cmoak1982 and xaos like this.