1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. loses temper, leaves Toyota Center during 2nd half

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 1, 2022.

1. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Wood and KPJ have different issues based on the reports I've heard. I want Wood gone from what I've heard. KPJ is different for me if he has legit mental issues. I'm not comfortable calling someone with an illness contamination if he's working on it and the organization and team are aware and helping him. I don't know the KPJ situation enough to say what I'd do.

Plowman likes this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

All I'm saying is this franchise is more forgiving. U figured houses ass would have been canned after he got caught being thirsty in the bubble playoffs.

I'm think they will keep kpj.
    They do need to have a better environment, that can b fixed with a better coach and more professional vets.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is fine, if that is your plan, then you do that.

But if you are GOING to take that risk, you can't just go in and HOPE it works out, you need a comprehensive plan, and it needs to be spelled out to the player - otherwise you run the risk of poisoning the well for some other very young talented players.

I think the Rockets didn't have a full plan, just took a flyer.....worst type of decision.

DD

4. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Larry Brown could do nothing with this.

ThatboyPhuong and Rocket River like this.
  5. DaDakota

Not today, he is 152 years old, but he could when he was in his 50s and 60s......

DD

Ankara1923 and Rocket River like this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

unfortunately he's not a valid psychiatrist

DaDakota likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think the main difference between Wood and KPJ is the way they view themselves and their affiliation with the team. With KPJ, he is a Houston Rocket. He has long term plans for this team to be an elite team for a long time. He took ownership of that.

Wood is more of a hired mercenary who is just trying to put numbers up for his future success for the largest payday... On what team it does not matter.

That's why it's a lot more difficult for me to give up on KPJ.

Plowman and gmoney411 like this.
  8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Agee with everything you said Another aspect of this situation is the good cop/bad cop bull****. That’s used with criminals not in team building. Silas is bad at rotations and bad at coaching defense. It shows on the court. There should only be one head coach. Assistants should be there to work with individuals and the team on their specialty, not taking over the head coach’s duties, because he is the “good cop”. Silas is just as culpable in this situation as the players. Obviously, we can’t let him go right now, as it would send the wrong message to everybody on the team, that they can throw tantrums and refuse to play and get away with it, but the Silas problem needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. Both players should be suspended. I would make it clear to Wood, that he will not pout his way out of town. If he wants off the team, he will need to re-establish his trade value or he can rot on the bench along with Wall.

Xopher, Plowman and DaDakota like this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm thinking they will give him another chance if he does all of the right things. He doesn't have too many temper tantrums left in him before he's out of the league though....no matter what the cause.

To an emotional player who cares, the worst things in the world are teammates that don't care and coaches that are incompetent. Houston has both right now.

I think they can deal with Silas' incompetence in the short term, but guys like Wood who are actively sabotaging the team have to go immediately.

If you aren't going to try, you shouldn't be with a rebuilding team.

sydmill, AlperenSengun and fchowd0311 like this.
  10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Makes sense.

11. DaDakota

100% Spot on !

Mental health is no joke...

DD

Plowman likes this.
  12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

This 100%. KPJ is shooting 36% from the field. His assists are down, and turnovers are up, since last year. He's 6th in the league in turnovers and the guys above him all produce far more overall. He's not a plus contributor in his third season and appears to have regressed in some areas.

I think his 50-point game last year might have given him a reason to think he's better than he is. Lebron's recent comments, too. He's not above criticism, on or off the court. He's a young reclamation project like Terence Williams (the Kraken) or Thabeet. Talented guys don't always work out.

13. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I can't really wrap my head around anyone saying what Wood did is worse than KPJ. Wood refused to check into the game...isn't leaving the arena also refusing to check into the game? You can't check in if you aren't in the building. Except you also "threw an object" and stormed out of the building like a child.

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

We kept Danuel House for how long after his actions...?

conquistador#11 and mario_v like this.
  15. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

one thing is clear to me. Wood must go ASAP. With kpj I am open to solutions though sending him is probably the least risky decision. Silas can wait till the summer. Not much gain to fire him now unless we can have someone who will give significant usage to green and Sengun.

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Get rid of wood first and see if that solves the problem. That dude attitude is so toxic

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Leaving after being told you aren't playing the 2nd half is one thing, refusing to play is another.

On top of that, Wood was actively sabotaging the team and doing so intentionally.

In short, KPJ is an overly emotional, immature child, upset becuase he cares. Wood is a piece of **** who doesn't care.

I have more room for sympathy about an outburst out of passion over someone just being a b****.

18. DaDakota

We are going to be so much worse without him, he is so efficient scoring the ball, and gives our guys a great roller - but man - I think he is the cancer.

DD

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

Is there any evidence that KPJr is working on his issues? I know a few guys like KPJr. They can go months without messing up, but the next outburst or bad decision is always right around the corner. They just don’t get it.

Who just leaves the arena at halftime? He clearly can’t control himself, and this is like his 10th incident dating back to high school. I see people mentioning his age. People can keep bringing up that he’s 21 all they want to, but Idk when people were expected to have absolutely zero self-awareness or self-control at the age.

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Those 2 are not comparable.

Dealing with drugs is tough but mental illness, bipolarity as such are another dimension.