1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets @TANKATHON - 2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Astrodome, Dec 22, 2021.

1. dmoneybangbang

For the time being.....

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I have some bad news.

raining threes, Jontro, Nook and 2 others like this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

Maintaining the tankathon top 3 in an entertaining fashion with a loss to the Lakers....

...Pelicans got the win against the Cavs.

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Silver lining, this thread is golden.

Astrodome likes this.
  5. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Rockets scouts looking at Jabari.

Astrodome and clutchdabear like this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't think it's too much of a surprise the Rockets are looking at him since, well, we're in a position to draft him, and we need help.

7. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

This year draft is not like last year draft but if we can draft in the top 3 we should be fine. However, I think we can find young talent, in a Gordon or Wood trade next month. I do not know what we are going to do with Wall.......

[​IMG]

Jontro and vince like this.
  8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Falling out of love with Banchero, he feels like David West to me. Not as if that is a bad thing, but I like the upside of the other guys.

We have had good luck with bigs sporting #34, so I like Chet alot. I think he can be a defensive anchor, and a highly efficient offensive player as well.

Smith and Ivey, I like the fit with Green, but I see limited upside.

I would be all over trading down from 1 to 4 or similar if such an opportunity arises.

If it were me, I would go
    Chet
    Smith
    Ivey
    Banchero

xaos and dmoneybangbang like this.
  9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I Agree here, I think. Chet has the highest floor for immediate impact. We see the blueprint now with Mobley. plus if his shooting/passing come around he's got a high ceiling too. Banchero is a traditional 4 which is sort of being phase out of the modern NBA game. if you can't protect the rim, you have to be able to defend the perimeter, and I'm not sure he can do either. offensively I think he'll be fine. high floor but lower ceiling. smith and Ivey I think have just as high ceilings as Chet, but lower floor than chet or Paolo. I think I like Jabari #1 because of his high ceiling, he's the perfect modern nba frame, can defend multiple positions, can shoot and protect the rim, and younger than the other 3.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

With your description perhaps a backcourt like the Pistons with Billups and Richard Hamilton they seemed to be a perfect match. Hopefully these guys would be even better eventually. With what your wrote that seems to be a good match for Green though.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

12. TimDuncanDonaut

13. Salvy

Salvy Member

14. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

DET

6-28 .176 -- 52.1% 14.0%

[​IMG]

ORL

7-29 .194 -- 52.1% 14.0%

[​IMG]

HOU

10-27 .270 2.5 52.1% 14.0%

[​IMG]

NO

13-23 .361 6.0 48.1% 12.5%

clos4life and Bobbythegreat like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3048313/202...am-with-top-pick-might-matter-more-than-ever/

The 2022 NBA Draft is not considered a particularly strong one at the moment by evaluators. The top of the class is solid, not spectacular. The middle of the lottery has an enormous number of questions. There is more uncertainty regarding players in the back half of the first round than I can remember in a draft, largely for a couple of reasons.

Right now, the team that gets the No. 1 overall pick will have an immense influence on who goes No. 1. This is not a draft that currently has a no-doubter guy at the top, a la Zion Williamson, Cade Cunningham or Anthony Davis. Rather, I would say there is a good group of four players at the top in Jabari Smith Jr., Paolo Banchero, Chet Holmgren and Jaden Ivey. Team needs will play a role, given the preponderance of big men in that group. And simply put, it’ll be an eye-of-the-beholder situation.

1. Detroit Pistons — Jabari Smith Jr. | 6-10 forward | 18 years old | Auburn
    2. Orlando Magic — Paolo Banchero | 6-10 forward | 19 years old, freshman | Duke
    3. Houston Rockets — Chet Holmgren | 7-1 center | 19 years old, freshman | Gonzaga

Holmgren has the highest upside defensively of any player in this draft class. He’s unbelievable on that end for a few reasons. The first is attitude. He has an exceptional mentality. He’s skinny at 195 pounds, but he doesn’t back down from anyone and is utterly fearless. The second is his length, as he has something in the range of a 7-foot-5 wingspan, which gives him an elite standing reach for the center spot in the NBA. Finally, though, Holmgren has elite weakside instincts. He’s swatting 3.4 shots per game and affects countless more through his sheer presence. He’s also mobile enough on the perimeter to handle some assignments, although he’ll be best utilized in a drop coverage alignment out of ball screens. Offensively, Holmgren has also shown some flashes this year, although I don’t think he’s quite quick or flexible enough to make an Evan Mobley-like impact on offense as a skinny big creator in half-court scenarios. He can grab and go on the break and make things happen, and his passing is strong from the high post and above the 3-point line. He still has some work to do on the jumper, but it’s easy to project him as a stretch big with some passing attributes. I see him as a 16-point, three-to-four assist per game guy who plays elite defense at the NBA level, and that’s probably a top-30 player in the league if his ceiling on the defensive end is as high as I believe it is. For a Rockets team that desperately needs more defensive acumen (and could use a strong partner with Alperen Şengün at the five), this is a terrific fit.

4. Oklahoma City Thunder — Jaden Ivey | 6-4 guard | 19 years old | Purdue
    5. Portland Trail Blazers — Johnny Davis | 6-5 wing | 19 years old | Wisconsin

[…]

23. Houston Rockets (via MIA) — JD Davison | 6-3 guard | 19 years old | Alabama

JD Davison has had a fascinating season. On the plus side, he’s an absolutely electric athlete whose explosiveness both in terms of first step and bounce have translated at a high level. But the problems here are pretty evident. He’s a non-shooter right now, having hit just 28 percent from 3 overall and 2-for-14 on pull-up attempts so far. He’s also not really capable of truly running the show as a distributor for Alabama right now, as his handle and poise aren’t quite good enough at this point. He’s playing off the ball often next to Jahvon Quinerly and making plays attacking off the catch. He’s also a bit of a turnover machine right now too. I’m a bit lower on Davison than this, but teams do see real upside if they can get him into their system because he is truly an elite athlete from the lead guard spot. I’m not totally convinced he’s a one-and-done, but we’ll see where things settle in SEC play.

Os Trigonum and ThatboyPhuong like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol at the miniature tank and look who is grinning.

Salvy likes this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

NOLA and the Warriors doin' the Rockets a solid tonight... :cool:

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

More pelicans win = the more games we can win without worry of losing top 3 chance for picks

19. Dash

Dash Member

Tank for Jaden Ivey

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Chets defense is definitely a selling point.

If Rockets get the number 1 pick, I'll be honest, I don't know who they should take. But I'd be happy with any of the top 4 guys.

Corrosion likes this.