1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Get Christian Wood the Hell outta here ASAP for AMAP!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Dec 28, 2021.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

fixed.

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Really?

Because it’s been outlined in this thread and others in great detail.

The frustration with Wood is that it appears he lacks the self awareness/desire to do things that would make the team better.

It’s not a skill set or ability issue.

I think that is what has people upset.

He doesn’t try to set good screens.
    He doesn’t really try to protect the rim.
    He doesn’t play with energy.
    The rebounds he gets are mostly by default, doesn’t really fight for boards.
    And then there is his penchant for just doing dumb ****.

Wood is not lacking in skillset, ability or physicals…he has all the tools and again I believe that is what is frustrating.

He shouldn’t need Garrison Matthews or Jasean Tate or KJM to not be killed in the paint and on the boards by an old lakers team playing with no center.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't see those issues and even if so they are not character issues.

Since when has he had bad body language?

That's the one thing I have been looking for and it's not present.

yes you do feel some kind of way.

D-rock likes this.
  4. TimDuncanDonaut

I kinda agree with this. That's kind of a problem right? If at a 5, defenisvely he can't match up with a tradition Myles Turner (Pacers) / Plumlee (Hornets), and against Lakers where Lebron played the Center (so a small line up), he still didn't match up.

If then we put Wood at 4 with a traditional 5, we saw this team offense went down to the toilet. So as a 'big guard' where do we put him? Is he fast enough to stay with the best 3's or 4's of the league. If 5 is his best (and only?) position offensively, and but he has problems with other 5's defensively, that's a problem. Wood is not old, but if he still thinks a big guard at this stage of his career, can he still be molded?

For most teams #1, the person you hide is usually a elite guard; like a Trae or Steph. If eventually this team has playoff aspiration, we can't be hiding our centers. Usually it's the opposite, it's the center, who play drop to cover for guards' mistakes.

#144 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 29, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
  5. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Kidding, right? The guy literally went to the media to ask for more touches!
    You defending his character says more about you than him - that you're basically blind as a bat.
    But maybe that's why you're scheiss at reading people.

cerophilik likes this.
  6. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

26 with bad ankles... yeah, he's basically a toddler.
    Even for a tortoise 26 is not a young age.
    How old are you and/or what are you on?

7. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I hate how he sets up his screen 4 feet away from the defender and then tries to lead to get it his way. I bet Wood’s screens and defense was all that Harden needed to see to be like “this DUDE does not have the talent”.

I say they should get as many picks for him as they can as soon as possible.

BallaDoc, aaquaa and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  8. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

The problem with Wood is that he is a 4 on defense but a 5 on offense. He doesn’t want to bang with bigs on defense but he wants to be in the PnR action on offense. I would accept this if he closed out of shooters and if his screens weren’t such dog ****. I hope they trade him to a playoff team for a couple FRPs this deadline. I’d love to see CP3, Dame or Westbrick talk **** to him for his weak ass screens in a playoff game.

aaquaa and jdjd like this.
  9. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Yeah KAT come to Houston where your AC turns on in the middle of winter.

aaquaa likes this.
  10. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Never in all my years have I read so much rubbish written about Chris Wood!
    For the money he is getting paid I consider he does a very good job for the Houston Rockets.
    I cant imagine us trading him for another big man player for about the same price!

jiggyfly and D-rock like this.
  11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Wood is #3 in total defensive rebounds, #10 in rebs per game. Top 20 in free throw attempts. His shot attempts are actually down from last year, assists slightly up.

I know he doesnt pass the eye much, but seems darn good for someone whos selfish & lacking heart. The Rockets D is ranked second to last in league. As much as Wood is the face of this struggling team, there's as much info to say he's not alone in the blame.

jiggyfly, Easy and D-rock like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wood's game is completely different from Longley or Cartwright.

Neither Longley or Cartwright are starters in modern NBA.

Some of the expectations on CF are ridiculous AF.

#Don'tLookUp

jiggyfly and aaquaa like this.
  13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think a single person is making the case that Wood deserves the blame for everything wrong with the Rockets.

aaquaa likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Issel and McAdoo would be perfect modern 5's in NBA.

Great comparison.

xiki likes this.
  15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

They are getting confused by some of the hateful posts in this thread versus some of us that are trying to argue the case of why we think we should trade him while value will be at its highest. Not sure why we have to be lumped together as haters.

xaos, cerophilik and RudyTBag like this.
  16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Wood doesn’t suck but he could easily be better if he played more engaged and played good team basketball.

His rebound numbers aren’t impressive to me given the minutes he plays and given he’s normally the only big man in the floor for the Rockets.

But he’s a nice player that is likely about to be way over paid based on his shiny stats that people keep touting.

Best to move him now while his value is high.

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Its both about money first. And the idea of Wood as that feature player. Wood getting max as the guy is the criticism.

Still "Isnt about winning" suggest there's expectation for the team to win. And that Wood specifically is holding back on that. Thats the part where it might hold the player accountable for team performance

aaquaa likes this.
  18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

whywhywhy is Bob McAdoo so forgotten (despite coaching for 25 or so years)?

D-rock likes this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Wood is a decent player. Everybody so mad but remember we got this guy for free.

He is still an asset, I've been campaigning for him to be moved cuz at 26 his timeline is different from the young guys. Rox should work on trading him so we cna open up more mins for CWood and Garuba. Rox should get some pretty good assets if they trade him this year. He is an offensive machine, discount version of KaT.

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

By February 10th OP

The Rockets will cash in those chips (Eric Gordon chips as well).

Patience is a virtue

DM'sVP likes this.