1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Garuba is looking like a miss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayhow92, Dec 27, 2021.

1. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Idk what happened, this dude seems like a completely different player than the one I watched on the Spanish national team.
    Totally lost out there, has the natural physical tools to be great on D but if he can't develop a jumper, or a corner 3, unsure his long term utility.
    Oh well!

Sengun, Christopher and Green are above average rotation players so that's nice.
    Fingers crossed for Jabari Smith or Bancero :)

jacoby likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If the venue is in Spain with a deadly atmosphere and they implement extra rules like the Rockets can only field so many starters.

Yes, it could get close.

Real Madrid has to bolster their roster with good ex NBA players too.

Keep in mind that the Rockets have so many rookies and Real has many veterans.

With FIBA game rules.

Team US struggled early on with international play until Durant bombed them into form.

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

99% of posters probably never heard of Garuba or saw him play until right before the draft. He was hyped up by many on the board and expectations were set that he was some hyper competitive defensive savant. I’m neither overly excited or overly let down by his performance. From the hype, I was expecting this ultra aggressive, crazy athletic guy that would be raw on offense, but he definitely seems like a deer in headlights right now. He shows flashes of defense, but mostly looks lost and that is also making him look slow to me. I’m going to trust Stone that he will develop into something. Like all the rookies, which look like a haul, he needs time. I think RGV the rest of the year would be the right way to go.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  4. conquistador#11

The trash that started this scuffle because he was offended the Rockets scored so many threes was ridiculed for being a nobody.
    He averaged 2.9 pts that year as a rook.

Garuba is NINETEEEEEEEN.
    I hate youtube sometimes. It's young Draymond trying to escalate ish.

5. dmoneybangbang

Very true. Some players look like they take a a hard punch and get dazed when the get to the NBA level and that's Garuba right now. He needs to be in the G League so he can actually play minutes.

roslolian likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The week or month before and after the draft, it got crazy with hype.

Once level headed posters threw curse words at each other.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah. Some guys you pick for production some guys you pick for potential. In Garuba's case he is only 19 yrs old you are obviously looking at upside.

That's not to say I didn't expect him to be more NBA ready, like Jalen given his previous experience I expected better performance out of the gate. But even with him playing like a scrub now it's still dumb to say the Rox missed on a pick given he is only 19 yrs old. If he was 25 yrs old like Jasean Tate and playing like this then you say yeah ok we missed on the pick.

If you remember this time last year KJ Martin was playing like a scrub in the GLeague. Look at where he is now.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

What about Carmelo's first 10 games?

>ducks<

9. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3 out of 4 ain't bad.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The venue is not Spain.

The venue is Bert Ogden Arena and a stacked Vipers team with Garry Bird, Josh Christopher abd Trevelin Queen going against washouts and never weres like Rudy Fernandez, Sergio Llull, and, lol Anthony Randolph.

That team sucks.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think either Australia, France or Slovenia was the best Euro national team.

12. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

logged in this morning for the first time in a minute strictly to give this post a “like” and a comment. Underrated response

vator likes this.
  13. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

@SamFisher

You guys seriously are saying a G League team would beat a Playoff euroleague team?

I´m not sure it's a worthy topic as there is no way we could test this. NBA Full force vs European, sure. But GLeague vs Euroleague Playoff you have a debate.

I want to point out that I do agree with the larger point, this is not the THE Spanish National team and maybe that´s not as big credential as we are making it out to be.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They have to square off for me to tell.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

6'8 is too short for a project center. What will he be? a chuck hayes type player? There was more talent out there and we wasted on this.

I trust stone but he has his misses.
    Dipo
    Theis
    Garuba

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't actually have to say it.

The quality of the rosters speak for themselves.

Last year's top 6 Real Madrid mpg guys in Euroleague games:

Walter Tavares, 2nd round pick for the Hawks in 2014, out of NBA by 2017 after 13 career games, 5 year G league vet.

Facu Campazzo - poor man's Prigioni playing for Denver. Probably their best player.

Trey Thompkins - averaged 2 ppg for the Clippers....in....2012.

Gabriel Deck - can't get minutes on a tanking OKC team this season. 2.6 ppg.

Alberto Albalde - declared for 2015 draft, undrafted. No NBA interest since.

Anthony Randolph - the Warriors lotto pick the year before they drafted Curry, lolol.

Full strength Vipers this year:

Matthews
    Queen
    Christopher
    Nix
    Lamb.

Garuba/kafengele as the C.

Don't tell me you think this team gets blown off the floor by journeymen laden Real Madrid. Frankly im betting on the Vipers. If NBA can't contain Garry Bird, Real no tiene nada

Matthews and Christopher have already had better NBA performances than most of the Real Madrid gang (unless you count Anthony Randolph putting up 24 points for a 17 win Timberwolves squad next to Darko Milic in a game vs OKC 10 years ago lol)

This isn't 1998 - the G league is now drinking the Euroleagues milkshake.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

In ancient Latin Garuba translates to 'Old Mutombo'.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ouch... Barn Ball FTL.

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

holy **** Anthony Randolph is still playing ball? I remember that was was the original hype project that never panned out

20. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I expect him to at least have some sort of BBIQ to work with at this age like his peers. I wasn’t expecting to start at how to play basketball for dummies level.

He can go learn how to go play basketball in the g-league or get cut in a year. The draft is a success regardless.