1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Garuba is looking like a miss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayhow92, Dec 27, 2021.

1. Bo6

Bo6 Member

3/4 pretty good. surely no sane person expected to hit on all 4 first round draft picks...

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

This is a ridiculous post. I knew from the beginning he would be at the end of the bench or G-League.

You have no patience. In a couple years, he'll be contending for DPOY.

3. Rockets34Legend

After 30+ games, this is your evaluation?

[​IMG]

daywalker02 and DreamShook like this.
  4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I agree, which is why if he does end up being a bust it’s not that big of a deal.

5. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

It’s not that rediculous. He’s no where close to being anything serviceable on offense or defense right now. It’ll take 1-2 years for him to amount to anything. As of now, he’s not looking very promising compared to his peers.

6. Rockets34Legend

I'll wait the 1-2 years. Don't care about right now since I'm currently on the tank.

jcmoon likes this.
  7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Any time you are trying to call someone's career less than half a season into their career, it IS ridiculous. He is a late first round pick and only 19 years old, meaning he is a PROJECT. To try and take his performance in however many single digit games he has played thus far and call him a miss is patently stupid.

#67 chenjy9, Dec 28, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    peleincubus likes this.
  8. fattz

fattz Member

He and Christopher where placed together as needing development. After a very short stent in the G league we see Christopher as rotation worthy, l like most hoped the same for Garuba. I truly believe the more playing time he gets the better he will become. His skills are so different and need for this team.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

He especially looked like a pro footballer when he was tackling people!!

Big guys can take time, but there isn't a lot that jumps off the page and screams "top tier talent" right now. He looks like an undersized backup 5 who can spot up in the corner. His development path may be rocky if we end up with a big in the draft.
    Having said that, it does take time for bigs to develop.

Rokman and burlesk like this.
  10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

He was regarded as one of the best defensive prospects in the draft and was an Olympian. I knew his obvious offensive limitations but I though he could at least show some glimpses of his defense at this point. My expectations of him at this point were just too high. I thought he at least had a foundation to build upon but it looks like we gonna be starting with basic basketball fundamentals with him.

11. chenjy9

Supporting Member

"He was regarded as one of the best defensive prospects in the draft". He was a prospect which is no sure thing and being an Olympian doesn't mean much. Here is what you didn't seem to consider...
    1. He is only 19. What were you or everyone else you knew doing at 19? How developed were they at the age of 19?
    2. He didn't start for his team. I don't think he was even the 2nd guy off the bench. He is coming from a bench situation and it was already known he had minimal offense to speak of.

javal_lon likes this.
  12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

At least Jalen Green played 25 games before yall crucified him relentlessly.. Garuba ain't played 25 total minutes yet... lol

13. MystikArkitect

It's been 3 months of people on this site saying Jalen Green is JR Smith reincarnated so...is it really that surprising?

14. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

‘Hope’ maybe a better word than ‘expectation.’ I think the expectation you mentioned is true of lottery picks, not late first round picks. Any late first round pick that is still on an NBA roster a few years in is a win. Look at the draft histories. Half the guys just don’t make it.

burlesk likes this.
  15. wolstein

wolstein Member

He played significant roles in Real Madrid and Spanish national team. Both of these teams are probably better than Rockets right now. He'll be fine. Give him some time.

AroundTheWorld and fryjol7 like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You are underestimating the life of an athlete vs us normalo humans.

Athlete's have their careers mapped out (You can watch the show "Swagger" based on Durant in the DMV).

The best of them are scouted by schools, universities.....on a 5 star system, as early as being 8-9 year old.

They are trained to be a professional that early.

Unless you are to be a professional ballerina or concert piano player there is almost no way to understand that kind of path.

So it is more normal for 19 year old players to produce results than the normal guy from next door.

They also get more incentives for the pressure and expectations bestowed upon them.

#76 daywalker02, Dec 28, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I would agree with you if I didn't see the same thing from Capela when he first came in. Looked like the worst player I've ever seen.

Garuba could bust but I mean its too early.

jcmoon and chenjy9 like this.
  18. Newlin

Newlin Member

Hakeem needs to give him some basketball lessons. They have a lot in common. Both selected in the first round by the Rockets. Both come from across the ocean. Both are taller than 6’ 6”.

19. chenjy9

Supporting Member

This, let the kids play and learn. Don't know why some posters are so invested in putting rookies on crosses and pedestals.

20. Peak Red

Peak Red Member

He’s barely played. He looked fine in his g league time and just needs some time to adjust. I think the off-season will help him as well.

he had a publicly last night tat really impressed me. He was able to turn his hips after going for a steal and still recover to make the block.