1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nick Caserio - Next GM

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Jan 5, 2021.

?

How you feel?

1. I love

26 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. I hate

84 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. meh

69 vote(s)
    28.8%
  4. I don't know

61 vote(s)
    25.4%
  1. Pringles

Pringles Member

My apologies - I meant in terms of their opinion on Easterby.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the plan all along. Nick knew from the jump that his first year was going to be horrible. With a depleted roster, cap situation, no picks in the first or second round, and a QB who was disgruntled from the second Caserio was announced.

Culley was bound to be a “tank commander” from the moment he was hired. The only question was- how long? IMO, if Culley is fired- it’s because Nick is confident he is going to get a haul for Deshaun.(which would make this job much more attractive) Multiple 1st round picks along with picking near the top of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds would be fantastic.

I don’t know about you guys, but considering what Caserio was able to do in this past draft has me feeling pretty confident about his player evaluation. While he didn’t necessarily hit any “homeruns” in the draft… he seems to have hit plenty of doubles and singles. All of these rookies look like they can be at the very least, decent contributors on a competitive football team, and they all have potential to get even better. That’s about as best as you can ask for in a GM’s 1st year with no 1st or second round picks.

Obviously, this next draft will be the real test. Like what I see so far though, TBH.

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Josh McDaniels would be a Grand Slam hire

4. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

I could definitely see it working out- contrary to other Patriot coordinators- most of whom have failed miserably. Ironically, I think O’Brien has arguably had the most success out of any of them thus far. Davis Mills may stand to benefit the most from a McDaniels hire. Same “type” of offense that Tim Kelley runs…. However, I’d say the 2 guys who know that offense better than anyone in the world are Josh McDaniels and Tom Brady.

I can’t really recall how much, if any, roster control McDaniels had during his stint as HC in Denver. But I’d be willing to bet that the trust, relationship between Caserio and McDaniels would be great.

Another thing I was thinking about- you can almost bet that Tim Kelley will be out of the picture next year. We’ve got Brandin Cooks(former patriot), drafted Nico Collins(he’s had a year to develop and learn the intricacies of the offense), and then we went out and grabbed Phillip Dorsett(former Patriot who is familiar with McDaniels’ offense).

Flush with draft capital, a young QB, and some pieces in place that are familiar with the offensive scheme- the evidence is there to suggest if they cut Culley loose, Mcdaniels is the guy.

Not that I really care much for Culley- but man he would be the ultimate sacrificial Lamb if they fire him. He literally had no chance to succeed from day 1- but that’s how it was supposed to be.

5. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Would there be any room for Pep Hamilton in this scenario? I would hate for the Texans to lose him…seems like he has done a good job helping develop ills.

raining threes, Rudyc281 and ROXRAN like this.
  6. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

I’d certainly hope so. I believe in the event of a McDaniels hire- McDaniels would be the one technically running the offense and possibly calling plays, but maybe they’d give Pep the title of OC specifically for the work he does with the QB’s and development (with maybe the intent of him eventually taking over play calling duties after a year or two under McDaniels)

raining threes, Rudyc281 and whag00 like this.
  7. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Another thing of note- Cal’s press conference after the Caserio hire when he said “we are not the Patriots South”.

They would’ve taken a lot of heat for bringing in McDaniels and they knew that. They also knew this season was a wash.

So hey we will bring in this Culley guy and suck so bad with a horrible team that McDaniels will sound a hell of a lot better to our fanbase a year from now.

Not to mention- the job he’s done with Mac Jones has been incredible. Whether you’d be on board with a McDaniels hire or not- there is no denying that he has done a hell of a job developing Mac Jones and playing to his strengths.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

10. Fantasma Negro

I hope he trades Tunsil along with Watson. Put Tytus at left and draft a right tackle. Tunsil is at least worth a first and a third even if the protection and running game are about the same with or without him. I'm starting to get excited about the offseason lol

Rudyc281, Htown Legend and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I absolutely want to get as much as possible for Tunsil

Rudyc281 and Fantasma Negro like this.
  12. raining threes

Tytus isn't a LT.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. raining threes

You want an upgrade on the ol?

If Tunsil will get on board, you draft Neal and Kinnard to go along with Tunsil.

cmoak1982 and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think he’s overrated and overpaid, capitalize on his reputation and get what you can for him. Draft OL and retool.
    Feel like the line did the same with him or without him.

Htown Legend and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. raining threes

Pro bowl players don't grow on trees and if you don't keep him you're just opening up another hole on the ol that has to be fixed and you can only hope the ol you draft with the pick you get for Tunsil is as good as Tunsil.

I don't really care about the money he makes because

1. It's not my money
    2. The Texans don't need the cap space right now.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s a fair take, I just think he’s overrated. Geron Christian graded out similarly

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Caserio is a real true asset this man does it all even wears headset in the booth during games has his finger prints on every aspect of the football team.

Robert Kraft even trusted him more then belichick and also trusted Caserio with finding hidden gems for possible HC candidates after belichick retires when Caserio was in New England.

I expect Josh McDaniels to be the next HC but my dark horse candidate is Pep Hamilton or Josh McCown.

This is just year one for Caserio and I fully expect for him to turn this franchise around and have the Texans having long sustaining success moving forward.

Htown Legend and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Thanks for that Jack or Cal or even Nick himself.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I’m neither just a true die hard loyal Texans fan

bigdaddy and raining threes like this.