1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Ideas 2021-22

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jun 3, 2021.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

They put it on a tee for you....

and you hit it outta the park. Grand Slam

coachbadlee likes this.
  2. RoadWarrior

RoadWarrior Member

Boston TPE : 17.1 M
    Gordon: 18.2 M

Does not work.

saleem and xiki like this.
  3. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

No, but not because of his abilities. He already made it clear he doesn't want to be here and he's obviously ring chasing. As I've said, I don't think we're going to move Wall at all. The supposed value as an expiring contract isn't there at all because of how many players (or stars) a team would have to give up in order to trade for him. I think it's very likely he stays on the bench here until his contract expires and we just use the cap space.

Milos, saleem and ArtV like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

The Celtics would never do this.

Gordon, Theis and Nwaba all have at best neutral value. The only reason theRockets get any real value for Gordon is if they agree to take on a bad contract to let a contender upgrade. In that case it is likely a #1 from a playoff team coming to us.

5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

That works for me, I wouldn’t even consider trading wall unless we get something bad (ideally a terrible longer deal plus picks)

6. Landry's Tooth

I saw something like this from an article on Yahoo... westbrook in LA is not working....

Something framed up like:

To Lakers: John Wall
    To Thunder: Russell westbrook, Nunn, #1 from Lakers or Rockets
    To Rockets: Cap space

Maybe worth giving up a #1 from us to get cap space a year earlier depending on free agent class...

Was intriguing to me... i could see thunder do for ticket sales as bad as they have been...

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/...ook-luka-doncic-devin-booker-nba-observations

Westbrook to Houston (again) for John Wall (again) makes the most sense. It would be a major risk to flip Westbrook, who despite his flaws is still a good and more durable player, for Wall, who has played only 40 games in the past three calendar years. But Wall is a Klutch client. Rich Paul, LeBron, and company would know more than anyone what Wall’s condition is and his willingness to do what it takes to win with the Lakers.

Wall is a far better spot-up shooter than Westbrook. Going back to 2017-18, he’s made 39.4 percent of his catch-and-shoot 3s, per NBA Advanced Stats. Westbrook has made only 32.1 percent. Wall has long had his own shot-selection issues as an inefficient midrange shooter, but before the Wizards first flipped him in a trade for Westbrook, he expressed a desire to take a backseat role to Bradley Beal, who had emerged as a 30-point-per-game scorer.

“Now, with the level Brad is playing, I don’t need to be a ball-dominant guy. To be honest, I wish it was like that for a long time,” Wall told me in 2020 for a story on the Wizards. “Having a guy like Brad is going to make things easier. Now, I don’t need to take some bad shots. I can spot up or cut backdoor, or if Brad gets the ball in transition, I can run the floor.”

On paper, Wall is the steadier player. Westbrook brings higher highs and lower lows. A deal involving both of them is at least something Klutch and LeBron should consider pushing Rob Pelinka to do as one of the moves the Lakers will need to make to improve this roster.

[​IMG]

#1187 J.R., Dec 27, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  8. Landry's Tooth

I don't see that working without a third team unless Russ is willing to sit out until his contract is up or more interested in a reasonable buyout.

Wall seems like a good locker room guy at least... i don't see russ doing the same...

I would want something substantial to swap...

Dobbizzle and saleem like this.
  9. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

That's the crux of it all for me, we're not looking to add another aging former all-star to our squad, and no way in hell is Westbrook cool with sitting like Wall is.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Eric Gordon for Eric Bledsoe and Clippers 2022 2nd

*Immediately buyout Bledsoe

Christian Wood for Josh Richardson, Juancho Hernangomez, Celtics 2022 & 2024 top 10 protected 1st

Roster

Wall / Porter / Augustin
    Green / Christopher / Brooks
    Matthews / Richardson / Nwaba
    Martin / Tate / Hernangomez
    Sengun / Theis / Garuba

Corrosion likes this.
  11. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

In your Gordon trade, you're basically saying he is worthless. We get a late 2nd rounder after we buy out Bledsoe. So his value is less than a late 2nd rounder?

12. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

What kind of backwards logic is this? You'd only trade Wall if we got something worse back? So you'd trade for a longer bad deal? Mental.

fattz likes this.
  13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Of course, to get more picks. I wouldn’t give up anything to dump wall

fattz and BallaDoc like this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Not exactly

Bledsoe only has 3.9 million of his salary guaranteed next season. Let's assume with a buyout we'll save the league's vet min for next year, and half of it this year. Something around 3 million. Rockets shave off roughly 17 million in salary + 2nd (which shouldn't be too late, Leonard and George are out for a while, there's a real chance they don't make the playoffs).

EG is good, but being his age, being a streaky shooter over the years, having real injury concerns, making 18 mill per this and next year, I don't think you can ask too much more than a 2nd or two when saving 17 million.

Corrosion and saleem like this.
  15. Landry's Tooth

So why would you ask to pay more guaranteed money to Bledsoe?

You're making an assumption the Rockets win the championship this year to guarantee Gordon's contract next year...

Not happening...

Just void Gordon next year, why pay Bledsoe 3 million to do it?

Gordon is going to a contender for a solid #1 pick... shooters get moved at the deadline all the time for firsts that won't be lottery picks.

If a contender doesn't have enough expiring deals they can work a 3rd team in that is interested in one of their players on a longer deal...

There isn't any significant salary coming back after next season. They have a rare window like the Spurs with Kawhi when their guys needing extensions have holds much smaller than what they will get.

They can sign a free agent like the Spurs did with Aldridge and then reup and extend who they want... wood, porter, tate, etc. without cap consequences...

BallaDoc likes this.
  16. Landry's Tooth

That depends... you wouldn't give up a premium lottery pick but they already have a lot of young guys..

If there's a free agent you think you can get this offseason and not one you like when wall expires then i see an incentive to unload a couple of lottery protected picks...

It's a gamble but worst case you can sign some vets to one year deals with the space and flip them at the deadline for late 1s and 2s...

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You have Gordon’s contract confused

It’s 18 mill this year, 19 million guaranteed next year, 20 mill NG the year after

You also have the Rockets cap situation confused, we will not have significant cap space next year

#1197 ThatBoyNick, Dec 27, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  18. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

any free agent that's worthwhile for the rockets will be restricted, someone like bridges from the hornets. Those guys are almost never attainable so i'd rather get more assets

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You’re completely correct. Not only that we don’t need the cap space anytime soon. We should only trade Wall for expirings or let him sit for two years. We can buy him out, but it doesn’t help us cap wise. Westbrook would never agree to sit. We should only trade for positive assets.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  20. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

I saw someone on fanspo post a take on the Wall/Clippers trade that i really liked.

Clippers get Wall, 2nd round pick from Houston, 2nd round pick from Orlando

Orlando get Kennard

Houston get Gary Harris (expiring), Ibaka (expiring), Bledsoe (shrinking contract next year).

We essentially turn Wall and a second into expiring contracts.

Harris seems like one of those Corey Brewer, DJ Wilson type guys that we COULD take a swing on after his contract (but not for $20m), and could be an EG lite. Otherwise, we waive Ibaka, let him heal properly then ring chase (Brooklyn) and IMO Bledsoe is a better backup 1 guard than Augustine (though im not willing to die on that hill).

Orlando make out like bandits, so it may cost them a FRP to get Kennard which in that case, we keep our 2nd.

jayhow92, TimDuncanDonaut and theDude like this.