1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

legend coach JB Bickerstaff got a long-term contract extension...elsewhere

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Dec 25, 2021.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Bickerstaff can’t coach youth ball.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Remember when Sampson left during the season and Bickerstaff was supposed to pick up the slack and was completely over his head and scared? I remember….

3. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO Harden wasn’t the problem….

Dobbizzle likes this.
  4. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Good for him, he deserves credit and earned the extension.

Coaches and players improve and as coach he's a big part of the improvement results with the team.

Joe Rocket and dmoneybangbang like this.
  5. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

JB looked horrible when he got the job. Then cavs got hit the jackpot getting Allen, Mobley and Rubio while Garland improved significantly. They are also getting a good production from Cedi. So a lot of it I think is due to player acquisition and player improvement.

Their 3 big system would not work well with the old officiating. We can’t know what JB would do in the alternate reality where new rules did not come into effect.

So while it is normal for the Cavs to invest on something that works, the actual contribution of JB is hard to tell. I think they got very lucky and JB did not screw up the good hand he was dealt. With so many players improving, their technical staff seems to be doing something right.

6. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

I don't understand this post at all. You mentioned that Garland/Cedi have improved/are producing well, but none of that's on JB - it's the Cavs "technical staff". Yet, when he first got there, without the good players you mentioned, he "looked horrible"?

That doesn't make sense. If you're going to blame the coach for the team's bad performance it makes sense to give him credit for the team's improvement as well. This post reads like JB just lucked into an improved cast and all of a sudden looks better. In reality, it appears he's improved as a coach and done a good job in leading that team in the context of a roster that's improving from both player movement and player development (the latter of which he clearly deserves a good chunk of the credit for).

daywalker02 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  7. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

None of it "getting the right hand" means anything if Bickerstaff isnt playing them together and having the right rotation and offense. Again Silas wouldnt be playing the same people and he wouldnt be running the same offense different coaches do different things we should give credit where its due. With the right coach people would be saying the same thing about us.

majicdonjuan likes this.
  8. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I've said this on this board before and I think some of the comments here prove this fact. The only way to defend Silas is to say that coaching doesnt matter. Someone even said if you have the right rotations coaching doesnt matter LMAO well arent coaches in charge of the rotations? Rotations are a huge part of being coach but people acting like they are two separate things lol Man that donut shop would be great if the chef knew how to bake lol The chef doesnt matter though lol

9. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I am in no way blaming the coach and he definitely deserves credit. But getting Allen, Mobley and Rubio without giving away anything has a big role in their success.

as for the player improvement, I meant that probably there are other people to get credit along with JB.

so he lucked into an improved cast and he got something very good out of it.

10. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Sure he deserves all the credit with what he has done with the roster he has. Another thing I can give credit to him is the team chemistry.

I agree that the rockets would look a lot better with a different coach but I don’t think you can create the impact of the three players they acquired WITHOUT giving away anything.

11. dmoneybangbang

Nah, we were predicted to be a bottom team because of our talent….. and lo and behold.

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Cavs, Houston and Hawks have the best scouting teams. They are finding potential youth stars.

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Fairly narrow vision in the argument there...
    What prevents a coach being fired once sufficient talent has been accumulated?

We play at one of the highest paces in the NBA - which is crucial for a rebuilding team. Maximise possessions to maximise stats to maximise asset value.

14. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

A hamster is better than Silas. Silas worst coach in nba history.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He took over from Milkhair and did a below average job but I am not condemning him at all.

16. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

It's easy to be so trash at something...but all you really need is connection

17. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

If you put Harden on the cavaliers right now, that offense is not going to run same as is it now.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Drafting Mobley helped.

DD

19. Nook

Nook Member

You put Harden in the Cavs right now and they have the best record in the league…. Coaches adopt their systems to fit the strengths of their roster.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  20. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

eh disagree there...silas is better...but cavs are further in rebuild