1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green is back!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 21, 2021.

1. Alleyoopsy

Alleyoopsy Member

And they would get destroyed by NFL players

Verbal Christ and BonziWellsGOAT like this.
  2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Who trained killers on the Football field. NFL players are different breeds. The degree of physicality that it takes to play even big time college football is way more physical than the NBA. So if somebody is playing soft. It’s not because all 19 year olds are soft, it’s because THEY are playing soft. There are 19 year olds in the SEC everywhere who aren’t soft. It’s a mindset.

#82 TEXNIFICENT, Dec 22, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  3. NewAge

NewAge Member

here’s ONE example of a 19 yo acting like a man. The bump, through contact. Mental AND physical toughness. Green has none of that but makes 5 times more money. That bugs me, not gonna lie…

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

When you get right down to it, is Jalen Green a dog or a pussycat?

Same can be said of Christian Wood, he pissed me off in that last Chicago game. First 4 of the first 5 possessions letting Vucevic post up EG while Wood is the only big on the floor.
    Aint no dog in him either, that's why they went out and got Theis to defend the bigger 5's so twiggy didn't have to, cept the spacing didn't work.
    There are several players who have that dog in them on this roster - Tate, Nwaba, Christopher, Mathews, Brooks, Sengun, KJ Martin and even Porter. (EG when he's having fun).

You'll never convince me that Green or Wood are junkyard dogs .... Not after two seasons of watching Wood with the Rockets and watching dozens of Jalen Green's games going back to AAU & the G-league - he's been as entitled as it gets.

rhee and NewAge like this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Is that it? Or are you just white knighting your contemporary overe there who feels its ok to call the kid a p***y, question his looks, and his toughness and his "balls"? Hmmm. Which could it be.

Im laughing at all of the out of touch boomers here - you included if you feel the same about the kid.

BonziWellsGOAT and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Lucky for Jalen Green he's not in the MMA. Since when do you need a "junkyard dog" to win championships? Is that another arbitrary metric to just keep the kid down?

I could care less if Wood is junkyard dog either. 20/10 speaks for itself. Soon enough Jalen will shut you all up with his play and ya'll can move on to the next imaginary delinquency with him - his spelling maybe? LOL.

BonziWellsGOAT and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  7. Milos

Milos Member

The vast majority of every new basic training class for the Marine Corps has been nothing but 18-20 year olds from their inception to today

Basically every US Marine, the baddest MFs you'll ever meet, learned that toughness at the exact same age

I don't think we're being unrealistic to expect a millionaire playing a recreational game for a living to nut up and fight thru a screen or finish a layup thru contact at 19

Especially when every moment not spent in an NBA game is about as marshmallow soft, personally catered, and comfortable as European royalty

Maybe Lucas should sit down with Jalen and educate this young man with some film study of the Bad Boys' Jordan Rules to illustrate what is expected of professionals to achieve greatness in this league

snowconeman22 and NewAge like this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So is a Marine "more tough" than a Navy Sailor? You would think right? But all of the labels our "new society" has come up with and the levels that are acceptable in "manhood" this one is quite laughable. I've seen my share of sailors mop the floor with these "toughest men in the world" and honestly even some airmen have whipped marine ass. Labels dont make you tough, and you dont need to be tough to succeed in life. SMH.

9. NewAge

NewAge Member

So you JGOFs are now conceding that he’s not tough, but the goal-shift is that this is somehow not important.
    As far as "society" at large, that’s absolutely true: mental and physical toughness is less critical than in prior eras.
    However, this forum is about basketball.

10. awc713

awc713 Member

I haven’t watched a lot of Rockets basketball, or Green admittedly. I fear he will evolve into a Jamal Crawford type player, but we obviously need him to do more than just scoring. For Green/Rox fans, please fill in the blank: for Jalen Green to have a successful rookie year, he needs to do: ______X______

I haven’t watched him so not really sure what the answer is. My answer at this point would just be: 1) to not get deterred by failure and 2) avoid mental errors. What say you? What does Green need to do in the second half of this season to render it a successful rookie campaign?

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol, we say he is a 20 and 10 type of player but this season he is a 16 and 11.

His stats do not impact winning against playoff teams that much as it does against the bottom feeders.

This cannot even be excused because we know Wood is such a good player but so flawed that he is not an Allstar, for now such a waste.

Lol indeed, you better hope he is better than Wood because Green will not be a star if he is another Wood.

Milos likes this.
  12. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Kevin Durant is a twig who monitors online forums to defend himself anonymously like a self conscious teenager. He doesn’t run over to defend the post or fight through picks.

He’s done pretty well at basketball.

I am far from a JGOF - he’s been the worst player in basketball this year. But if he starts shooting 40% from three and controls the ball better, it won’t matter if he’s a “dawg”

13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I don’t think that Christopher & Sengun are soft at all. And how old are they? I’ll wait…..

#93 TEXNIFICENT, Dec 22, 2021
  14. Milos

Milos Member

First in
    Last out

And I respect the hell out of every service member

Rank is earned, not given

As far as life being easy and toughness being irrelevant in overcoming adversity to succeed ...

All I can say is I was taught that professionals are solely evaluated on results

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Just too funny to see guys call JG out on being "soft" and then bring up football or the armed services to make that point! Comedy! They invent these dementia riddled narratives and just cant stick to debating basketball LOL. Like why even call out the guy on his looks or toughness and then say "keep it to basketball" ???

Too funny - these dinosaurs should just spend more time with the grandkids or more constructive things than talking about "the good old days" in checking each others manhood. That in itself is extremely suspect to me, but Im perfectly comfortable in my skin and dont need to go around whipping ass or pretending to be a tough guy to feel vindicated in life. Pretty sad actually.

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Is a Marine evaluated in his first two weeks of basic?? After his first year? First live duty? You guys are inventing narratives in order to keep Jalen Green down. Being tough is over-rated and not a requisite for a successful life, quite the contrary most "tough guys" I know have mental disorders and are always allowing their mouth to write checks their ass cant cash. Getting beat up is a pretty good indicator of being tough too I guess.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

What makes Christopher hard? LOL Sengun is a tough guy because he can hack and barely stay on the court because of his foul issues - that makes him hard? Or is it that he's 60lbs heavier than Green and can throw his body around more? JFC its absurd.

18. NewAge

NewAge Member

hm? are we talking about this Kevin Durant?

KD is a dog.

However, the social media stuff is legitimately weird, I agree on that. There have been all kinds of pathologies among the NBAs greats, Jalen Green is nowhere near that level of weirdness. He’s just charmin soft, that’s all, which could have been easily predicted from his off-court persona… Same as D.House: the ADD you see off-court translates on-court. These two were my biggest disappointments on media day, in how unserious they came across, and both have disappointed on the court the most. Pretty predictable.

KD’s mental stuff is on a whole other level, I think you need a professional shrink to figure out what’s going on there…

Milos likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Either you’re blind or you don’t know what you’re looking at if you can’t see that Sengun & Christopher play harder and a more physical brand of ball than Green.It’s ok because there are levels to everything. I like Green’s potential but he needs some nasty to his game and to get better on defense. Sorry Mom but you can stop mothering him! He’s in the NBA now. It’s ok. Green is going to be a Rocket for a minute. LOL!!!!

#100 TEXNIFICENT, Dec 22, 2021
    Milos and NewAge like this.