1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i think hes already in jokic and doncic territory just if 35 minutes a game given he is by silas

jokic and doncic wouldnt look nearly as good if benched, given crumbs of PT and played alongside nwaba and house

clos4life and aaquaa like this.
  2. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

I think you should differentiate basketball and body building. That Arizonian dude would be a good cast for Rocky-First Blood-Terminator type of movies. Basketball? Will see.

I follow basketball since '70s and I don't remember great basketball players in body-builder form. Hakeem, Jordan, Magic, Kareem, Dirk, Kobe, Harden, Curry.. Being fit is important and Alperen will be fitter soon.

Your comparison between G League and European Leagues is something between insult and insularity. I am sure you didn't watch an Euroleague final four game in the last ten years maybe in your lifetime. If a top 8 Euroleague team plays against non-conference semi-finalist NBA team (9-30 ranking) odds are even. There were 3 matches between NBA champions against Euro champions, 2 NBA wins, 1 Euro wins (Real beat Kobe-led Lakers in 2010).When Lakers lost, NBA stopped to play anymore.

Same things happened in normal NBA-Euro matches also. Beating NBA teams became normal and the matches between two continents stopped when Madrid scored 142 against Thunders in October 2016.NBA teams still play against lower leagues (China, Australia, Brazil) but not against Euro bigs due to protect the credibility of the league (they played against well-connected Asian-African team Maccabi Tel-Aviv but this is a dangerous political issue).

US national team are not doing better also. It is not a granted win against Euro nations, we can not say easily that US can beat Spain, France,.. in any given day. The last match against Turkey was also an OT win because of Cedi Osman's antiquities (I don't know why Cedi's BBIQ is getting lower day by day).

I hope NBA won't follow the footsteps of the Academy. Current day Oscars are laughing stock and no one cares except Muricans. All Marvel type of movies. Of course this Marvel is a good stuff but should be one-off similar to unique players in NBA such as Rodman, Ron Artest or that tattooed guy from Miami days with Mohican haircut. You can't have all robotics in NBA, you need some soul and creativity. Otherwise you will get lots of spoiled childish players with inflated salaries (can you imagine Theis and J. Green bagging 8M+ a year, they might start to believe they're worth it, their salaries in Europe would be 1/10 or 1/8 maximum)

Alperen needs lots of thing to learn such as positioning for rebounds, finding solutions to new problems,.. but stamina is not the main issue. The coaches should also help him. In the first match-up between Alpi and Mitchell in the Madison there was a harsh block and Alpi lost the psychological edge. Would be better Noel-Alpi, Robinson-Theis matches. Or Alpi should not try same things again, again, again. Tate, Josh or Garuba could play closer to him when he was in the painted area. These are the solutions management should find. If Obradovic or Ataman was coaching Alpi he would be immediately benched if he made same mistake twice.

Let's criticise Alpi and the others but please check the facts before commenting. He needs better training for the painted area, for better finishing, learning to play as two bigs not 3pt shooting and stamina.

Well done to everyone who read whole post.

#422 Ankara1923, Dec 18, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  3. bmelo

bmelo Member

He has different body type and for me he is very flexible, mobile and pretty strong dor 19 year old. White people have different type of muscles just look at doncic he is nowhere near being cut but what comes with it is his stamina and strenght. Same for Jokic and Sengun i think, he should focus on gaining strenght

4. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Sorry, not Real but Regal (Barcelona) beat Lakers in champions match. Mobile phone writing is not always easy. Makes automatic correction without you notice.

hakeem94 and aaquaa like this.
  5. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I love the way he walks past defenders almost in slow motion. He has his own technique and it works. After he gets his first slow steps, he stays strong and can change direction, fakes easily with perfect body control and balance. It is a beauty to watch.

6. Sengun

Sengun Member

I didn't watch that game, but seems like he played his worst game. At least statistically it seems so. There were big factors. The fact that it was back-to-back game and Robinson is a very strong match-up for him.

When he was drafted, I told that; tall, strong, and quick guys like Robinson would be very strong match-up for him. He needs to get physically stronger and add some skills to his repertoire. As much as it's fun to watch as he is, he needs at least two off-seasons to reach his full potential. I don't think anyone would care, even if he plays badly right now anyway. What matters is what he can do because Houston has already invested in Sengun's future, not his present.

Yes, he has a way to go. But you can't improve this by playing 15 minutes per game. That's the problem anyway.

7. conquistador#11

Eww. Last thing I want is Sengun detailing his Ashton Martin exterior in all suede.

Ankara1923 and hakeem94 like this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

thanks!
    [​IMG]

Ankara1923 likes this.
  9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

There’s reports he is working with Dream to improve his footwork and probably post up skills. This would be amazing!

Sengun likes this.
  10. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

No wonder how Dream became one of the greatest ever. Even at this age he is trying to improve his footwork and post up skills. Kudos to Sengun too, finding the time to teach him.

mirdirir and aaquaa like this.
  11. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Couldn't catch the game today. How did my boy Sengun do?

Did he run out of breath after 15 minutes? Did the defense suck because he would have fouled out, had he played 10 more minutes?

12. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

[​IMG]

13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I said it more than once ... I’ll say it again .

tate is our best player .

sengun has incredible upside and I can’t wait to see where he is in another year .

There isn’t a 19 year old that comes in ready to play 82 - 30mpg . He would get hurt .

don’t let the fact they gave Jalen green too many minutes make us think Alperen should get that much .

SOF’s clamoring for minutes are driving me crazy . Was he getting “too few” early on in the year ... yeah maybe .. but thinking he’s gonna lead us to the playoffs if only we gave him 30 mpg are crazy . That’s Tate and Gordon among others also putting in work .

the comparison to luka is kinda funny , because he was only able to play 72 games his rookie year .. and as a guard he didn’t have to be good on D .. and he wasn’t . Sengun is much easier to target for fouls and as a C needs to be locked in defensively to give us a chance to win . Oh and mavs were 14th seed

then luka only played 66 games the next year and mavs ended up 7th seed

how good are they this year ? Have they made it out the first round ? All the secondary talent is getting blamed , but luka isn’t a good player on D .

Goony has good instincts and better athleticism for his position than luka or jokic has . He will get there .

a few minutes a game here or there this year won’t impact his development.

he can work on cardio in between games . I don’t wanna turn him into a guy that has to coast and selectively turn on energy . He doesn’t need to learn that yet . He DOES need to get faster . He said it himself .

Stephen_A and aaquaa like this.
  14. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

One Day in the Future:
    Segun will be - Hakeem
    Jalen - Clyde
    KPJ - Vernon Maxwell
    KMJ - Robert Horry
    JC - Kenny Smith
    Armoni Brooks - Sam Cassell
    Garrison Mathews - Matt Bullard
    Tate - Mario Elie
    Garuba - Otis Thorpe

ReverseBjorn and Ankara1923 like this.
  15. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

just cause he had a few good games? psheeeshh

Stephen_A likes this.
  16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The easiest way to think about it is: why not do both?

He is not really athletic as is, and many guys have improved their athleticism especially those with poor training background.

The NBA is different, you need it. Sorry I just don't agree with your view, there's no reason to not improve. Jokic could've sat back but he got skinny and won the MVP.

cmoak1982 and HP3 like this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

He's not our best player. Wood is better, Gordon is better and Tate is better, he's our best rookie though and he has a lot of upside.

Stephen_A likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol none of these is better than him( 5 vs 5 or 1 vs 1) its just that hes getting so little minutes...... these guys would look like **** playing alpis minutes....RHYTHM IS EVERYTHING

19. HP3

HP3 Member

He literally got destroyed last game and honestly the game before that he was a huge reason we lost. Im sorry but his defense needs a lot of work.

20. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

was the thread title meant to be serious? I never thought so, lol.

HP3 likes this.