1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood expected to get "significant trade interest"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Milos

Milos Member

Yeah per 36 he was at 19 & 9 as a rookie in the weirdest season ever to be a rookie

Ironically I see a lot of Wood's skills in him

But Wiseman is bigger, more athletic, younger, cheaper, and has a higher upside (IMO)

Don't think I'm alone on that either

He was a consensus top 3 guy since 2018 that went #2 overall just 1 season before we picked Green in the same spot

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on that kind of upside after 1 disappointing year

Unfortunately I doubt the Warriors are either, so this is all probably moot anyway

RudyTBag likes this.
  2. Dash

Dash Member

Gordon and Wood for De'aaron fox. He wants out of Sacramento. Make it happen!
    Fox/Brooks/Augustin
    Porter/Green/Christopher
    Mathews/KJ Martin
    Tate/Nwaba/Garuba
    Sengun/Theis

That's a solid 13 man roster and Fox still young enough to grow with this team

theDude likes this.
  3. CXbby

CXbby Member

Kevon Looney is the best center on the Warriors roster if we are not counting Draymond. I don't know if it was Wiseman's own self conceived entitlement or a culture of entitlement from the organization, just like I don't know whether it is Green or the Rockets, either way he wasn't benched until he embarrassed himself to the point of getting benched because he was so bad, a similar path that Green is on if he doesn't show marked improvement.

Speaking of starting from day one and future superstars, neither Lamelo Ball nor Anthony Edwards were starters from day one. They earned their way to the starting lineup. Two actual future superstars. Not sure whether that speaks more about the organizations or them as individuals.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  4. CXbby

CXbby Member

Lol Wiseman is an awful player. As with all young players that is not to say he can't improve, but if you are commenting on what he is right now, do yourself a favor and look up some advanced metrics instead of per 36, he is one of the worst players in the entire league, like a certain someone on this team now.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone involved with Wood+Theis lineups will be at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to advanced metrics, which is akin to a standard boxscore in 1995. Especially a damn 19-year-old, any 19-year-old, ever. There is a lot more that goes into assessing these guys than CXbby, Marcus Morris HOF scoutmaster, looking up some "advanced metrics".

Nothing but positives will come from Jalen Green and James Wiseman getting more experience, quicker, which is where the historically terrible franchises that you are creaming over got it wrong. GSW simply can't wait as long. Ball and Edwards BOTH should have been starting from day 1. And who should we model our franchise after, GSW/HOU, or NOH/MIN? LOL indeed!

6. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

The thesis here seems to be that Minny and the Hornies as organizations are handling player development better than Houston and Golden State, which is an absolutely hilarious stance to take...

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

As it turns out, neither Wood nor Theis rate as one of the worst players in the league, instead it is any lineup involved with Green that's league worst. But yes, it is true that Wiseman and Green will improve with experience, when you are SO BAD there's no where to go but up. Question is will they ever improve enough to become positive contributors (a low bar) or gasp, live up to their draft position (don't hold your breath).

Nook and clos4life like this.
  8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Ah you mentioned Marcus Morris! Someone I spent one post on. But no mention of Sengun? Someone I spent 1000 posts on. Guess that would break your little narrative.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

The thesis is that as it turns out you don't need to start your future superstars right away, you can let them earn it. Especially when the future superstars are playing like...not quite future superstars, rather absolute garbage and embarrassing themselves as one of the worst players in the league on a nightly basis. For the sake of the culture of the organization and the hard work that the rest of the team put in, is it too much to ask for players to EARN their minutes before crowning themselves as the face of the franchise, max player, next Kobe, or whatever other delusions? You notice the actual face of the franchise, next superstar on the team just shuts up and balls every night despite getting the shafted on minutes.

10. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

How do Wood/Theis lineups rank, though?

How did Jalen Green play when the Rockets didn't start two bigs?

It is becoming rather popular around here to diminish improvements in young players by saying that there is nowhere to go but up, usually said in a snarky manner. This seems to me to be a bit of a basketballholic-esque way to cover future bets. The important bit here is to remember that these guys are quick to hop over context to diminish the many positives that Jalen Green has displayed, in minutes usually tied to historically terrible Wood-Theis combinations.

We'll see.

xaos, harold bingo and Milos like this.
  11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Dude, everyone and their mother, including myself and my Mother, was in on Sengun.

The fact that you think that this makes you a special scout, is also hilarious.

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Cover future bets? Let me make it very clear to you then.

Jalen Green will never be better than Evan Mobley.

Jalen Green will never be better than Alperen Sengun.

Jalen Green will never live up to his draft position given who else was available.

If he turns into the next Jordan Clarkson good for him, that's not covering my bets.

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Dude, you didn't even know who Alperen Sengun was when I started talking about him. Sit down kid.

I was telling people Sengun was better than Green on here when the Rockets were still contemplating between Green and Mobley.

14. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Depends on the player, the guards in front of said player, and the team's construction.

Sure, Armoni Brooks, might actually be a better fit for the current Rockets as the starting SG. Does anyone want to waste time playing Armoni Brooks for wins on a lottery team, when we can get Jalen Green reps to maximize his development?

To be clear, I think and have thought since before we drafted Sengun, that he was already better than Christian Wood. I would have started him at C from day 1, too, alongside Jalen Green.

15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

You are triggered because you know I am right. Take a break, friend.

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

The owner of this website hated the pick, even at 16. The vast majority of people here didn't know who he was. I don't recall whether you were one of the early converts to Sengun or not, to be frank I don't even know who you are.

the11mingdynasty likes this.
  17. Le$$

Le$$ Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yy5cdv8k

18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

"Hated" seems a bit strong to describe Clutch's position, no? We overstate everything, don't we?

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Picks and waivable players, pleaze. Extend the asset we don't need anything immediate

We could theoretically trade Wood, Gordon, Augustin, House for expiring players to be waived and our rotations would still be fine with the additions of Wall, Green, and KPJ.

Wall / Porter
    Green / Brooks
    Matthews / Christopher / Nwaba
    Tate / Martin
    Sengun / Theis / Garuba

Just needs a little bit of G-league depth at the point, and maybe 1 extra big or forward in case of injuries, and we'd be set.

Do the vets a solid and move them to contenders, buy out or waive the returning vets, and take chances on young players for depth. Get a top draft pick.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member