1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wood Or Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by duluth111222, Dec 11, 2021.

?

Wood Or Sengun?

1. Wood

2. Sengun

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. varughese.arun

U'd want to keep Sengun off the bench?

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Why not both, though not on the floor at the same time very often?

If/when Sengun takes the starter spot, let Wood go against non-starting lineups.

aaquaa likes this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I disagree.

Teams have given up a lot for a few months rental. See P.J.Tucker
    Wood is under contract for another season and a contender likes that.

Just don't expect the Nets.....we emptied out their cupboard last year.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sengun HAS proven he can stay on the court! Only thing taking him off is Stephen Silas (and the refs, who give no respect to a rookie).

“He (Sengun) needs more experience.”

Yeah, by playing!
    And as long as Wood/Silas are here, Sengun is gonna get his 12-15 minutes and that’s it!
    If one plays well, you’d think the coach would do more to get that guy more playing time.
    Sengun plays well, Silas is like “What can I do to bench him or reduce his minutes?”

“Daniel Theis is a pro.” :confused::confused::confused:
    “Giannis is playing.”
    “Two bigs don’t work.”
    This lame excuse. That lame excuse.

IT WOULD BE THE BILL O’BRIEN THING TO PAY WOOD!

Don’t make the same mistake as the Knicks paying & making Julius Randle the face of your franchise.

Alperen Sengun >>>>> paying Christian Wood
    Chet/Pablo/Jabari >>>> paying Christian Wood
    2023 cap space >>>> paying Christian Wood
    Getting rid of that Scottie Pippen look-alike >>>> paying that Scottie Pippen look-alike :D

SENGUN IS THE FUTURE!

noppeper, CriscoKidd, T for 3 and 9 others like this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

why not both? silas is the odd man out

you need depth to win championship jr!
    chet pablo jabbari aint even on andrew wiggins level.. we dont want mediocrity do we?

6. opticon

opticon Member

This is just my opinion from what I watched. I don't think Wood is going to play a secondary role to Sengun for both Basketball and leadership reasons. Nurkic had to be traded to the Trailblazers before Jokic could grow into the first option that he is now. Why not accelerate Sengun's growth and get value for Wood while it is high and there are years left on his deal.

noppeper, fattz, pippendagimp and 2 others like this.
  7. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Sengun makes Wood expendable. But still they don’t have to trade Wood. Is that not true?

So I am trying to see which player the board likes best. Hence the poll. Is that a problem???

aaquaa likes this.
  8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I would have kept Capela over Westbrook.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thank you. You explained it very well. Paying Wood what he's going to demand is why we should move him before the trade deadline this season. He'll be far more valuable to a contending team, or a near contending team that believes Wood can be their difference maker.

It's not about whether Wood can play effectively with Sengun. It's obvious that he can, but he's going to want to get paid. Meanwhile, as you point out, for some bizarre reason Silas won't play Sengun with Wood or with anyone else more than about 15 minutes total during a game. Then there is this - why wasn't Sengun playing down the stretch against the Grizzlies? It wasn't about winning the game.

jcmoon and aaquaa like this.
  10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Uhhh, what?

Respectfully, on no planet is it obvious that Christian Wood can be a forward.

We really do need to give that combo more time to see what they can do, though.

aaquaa likes this.
  11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

You're using outdated lingo. Positions are meaningless in the modern NBA. Shooting is the name of the game, no matter the position, and these guys both do it. I'm fine trading Wood for the right deal. Sengun is 19 and competes on defense, even if he doesn't have it figured out yet. Wood is getting more than enough rebounds to play the 5. When everyone is taking their bigs off the floor in crunch time because of spacing issues and lack of offense, we won't have that problem.

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Sorry I don’t agree. The contenders are not taking their bigs off the floor (Ayton, Gianis, AD, Embid, Jokic, etc. ) Wood cannot play defense against these guys or PF’s. He is a 5 on offense and not very good at that when faced with strength. Wood is a fine center against mediocre and weak teams, not against who we really need to contend against. I agree that PG, SG, SF are pretty interchangeable now days and with the right personal even PF, but not Center. Sengun is a better defender against Centers, but he will not be good against PF’s. Ideally Wood could become an effective PF, but I see no signs of that. We will not be a contender if our Wood is our starting center, now or in the future.

aaquaa and AlperenSengun like this.
  13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Once again, I have nothing against Sengun, I WANT HIM ON THE COURT but getting 3 fouls in 5-10 mins is not proving you can stay on the court.

You guys want to rush things. I.e, Wood, CWood needs time to polish his game as well. He's a young 26 yr old. I think we have the makings of a very good starting unit, if we keep them together.

I've been a proponent of bringing in another big next to Wood but the more I think about it, with what I've seen in Sengun and Wood, those two work well together and with the way Matthews is immersing. If Sengun and Green are going to become the stars of the future, I like what we have.

Wood
    Sengun
    Matthew
    Green
    Porter

Maybe bring in another big for bench support and another 6'8 or taller wing in the draft.

#73 hlmbasketball, Dec 13, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    aaquaa likes this.
  14. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Preach.

aaquaa likes this.
  15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Season
    Wood AND Sengun(154 minutes) : -8.2
    Wood NO Sengun(671 minutes) : -12.5
    Sengun NO Wood(161 minutes) : -12.5

Last 10 Games
    Wood AND Sengun(22 minutes) : -20.9
    Wood NO Sengun(284 minutes) : -1.7
    Sengun NO Wood(146 minutes) : +7.3

For the season and during our most recent 10 games the pairing is not working. During our most recent 10 games the team has been MUCH better with only 1 of them out there, especially the solo Sengun minutes. I would imagine the season long solo numbers suffer because Theis was also out there when 1 of them was sitting and that hasn’t been the case lately.

RudyTBag and steddinotayto like this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

As Sengun and Wood improve their 3pt shot, they can play together and rotate from the block to the 3pt line....

DD

hakeem94 and aaquaa like this.
  17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Facts.

Wood CAN NOT PLAY THE 4, unfortunately… It isn’t 1985…

jcmoon likes this.
  18. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

I don't get it.
    If Wood had been a 4 in the '80s, he'd have been broken in two like a twig in a few minutes.
    There was no tolerance for shying from contact either. Players then were tough dudes, even skinny ones.
    So how could he have played then, and why not now?

NewAge likes this.
  19. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

For a variety of reasons that can be easily summed up by looking at the results of every two big lineup we have ever played this season and last.

20. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

... So how could he have played back then?