1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amazon] The Wheel of Time tv series

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Jun 19, 2019.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ep 5 was better, but it is still trying to find it's way.

DD

Squirtle likes this.
  2. Beezy

Beezy Member

The 4K versions of the show are completely screwed up and Amazon hasn't fixed it yet. The 1080p encodes look way better.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  3. DaDakota

This show will not last, it will be cancelled....no doubt.

DD

Rocket River likes this.
  4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

There is no blond white guy. I think u mean rand who is red haired

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Fair Haired

Perrin for obvious reasons .. . THE DRAGON CANNOT BE FAT! LOL
    Mat cause he looks more the Loki Type
    Rand is apparently kind of Mr. Goody 2 shoes

Rocket River

6. JW86

JW86 Member

So the comparisons that have been made online to GoT, way off. It's more LotR like, but those Trollocs I really cannot stand. Basically beauty and the beast type of werewolve meets pig. And then they have weapons to boot. Just watched the 1st episode, does it get better in terms of creatures, magic and mystery? Hope especially it will tone down the gory beasts and increase the mystery w/ a proper score, magical powers and mystery that is also revealed through the landscape.

So far I'm not liking the casting, nobody stands out really, and there's already some bad CGI when those Trollocs are concerned. The scenery is beautiful when it comes to big landscapes, but closer proximity reveals a kind of bland look. Costume wise too. I thought it was big budget, but even those magical fire balls and beams do not look that special. Overall very underwhelmed with how much hype this got. It needs more character, more charisma and establish more of a backstory, because right now don't feel invested at all.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It meanders. There are some action pieces but it's not coherent as to why or how these fight sequences are important.

The main plot progression comes from the Aes Sidai (sp?) but they speak in code and you're like...where those trollocs that magically disappeared after they teleported got separated to different ends of the earth.

The dragon candidates are flawed yet bland. No real House Stark to pin your aspirations.

I think the GoT comparisons are more an open question on how GoT worked despite the rich lore and open paths (witty dialogue that makes you pay attention to some detestable characters, a beachhead of sympathetic [dead] characters, and a good amount of gratuitous nudity). It wasn't really the magic or the Big Bad enemy...you didn't see the white walkers till much later and magic was as common to that society as the Jedi was the SW universe...

clos4life likes this.
  8. DaDakota

The Trollocs looked like a rip of off Predator.

DD

9. dmoneybangbang

I'm enjoying it a lot, not having any idea of the source material. Thought Ep5 was really good, but that last scream at the end was really not needed and killed the vibe.

10. JW86

JW86 Member

It’s simple, if the Trollocs are like the trolls in Hobbit / LotR - that actually looked good - and kind of a main army chasing the good guys then I have absolutely 0 interest in this series.

They are so poorly done, way too in your face that it takes away and would take away from the mystery, mystique, intrigue, magic aspect as well as quality of the story and show. Judging from the 1st episode it’s definitely not worthy of the hype.

Also not impressed with the main female character’s “powers”. Does not look good plus a bit silly. Lastly I think Rosamund Pike is a poor casting choice based on the type of character she represents / plays.

11. clos4life

clos4life Member

Episode 1 is by far the worst, gets better as you go along. Knowing that and your posted reasons for dislike I expect you to be like DD and not enjoy it no matter what so if I was you I would save my time and watch something else.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm getting really tired of these super woke all female shows.

Xerobull likes this.
  13. JW86

JW86 Member

I might give it a shot, but don't think I can ever get over the Trollocs. Low blow, comparing me to a guy like that...

clos4life likes this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

lol

KingCheetah and clos4life like this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Just wait till more drop, and the boring disappointing eps can be washed out by the subsequent episodes cliffhanger.

You could also lifehack it by binge watching it at higher speeds...

clos4life likes this.
  16. clos4life

clos4life Member

The show so far has not deviated much from the books and the first several books were written in the 90s.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  17. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Give it moar time , breh.

18. Invisible Fan

That's good to know. WoT has a rep for being an epic series up until near the end.

19. clos4life

clos4life Member

The ending of the series was indeed epic.

Don't get me wrong, they've taken creative liberties in the adaptation but so far they seem in line with the world Jordan created, even if I thought some were unnecessary (ie: Perrin's "wife").

Xerobull likes this.
  20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

they are focusing too much on uninteresting stories (the warder suicide) and removing the more interesting stories (where is Elyas and Padan Fain?)

clos4life and Xerobull like this.