1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Augustine needs to close games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayhow92, Dec 8, 2021.

1. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Night and day difference with him running the offense at the end.

2. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

i'm surprised he's still fast with the ball being how old he is.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Rockets4Life13

I will never understand some of the hate he gets on here. Sometimes he does some goofy **** but most of the time he is just a rock solid PG that can lead the team offensively. His defense stinks but that's a worthy trade off in most situations. I'll prefer KPJ running PG as he is back healthy but in no way should EG handle the ball late in games.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

No he doesn't.

He's fine but I'd rather sink or swim with someone who might be here the next time they sniff the playins/offs

Rocketeer, hakeem94, ElPigto and 2 others like this.
  5. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

As of now with the current team, he’s the only guy able to run an offense. Certainly better than House at the end of games like Silas likes to do

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

GREAT POINT!

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

the Game changed when EG was thrown out, I think the Rockets lose if EG continued to play PG.. every time EG runs PG in winning time Rockets lose the lead.. never fails.

8. eman

eman Contributing Member

EGo at the 1 is a tragedy of errors. Terrible for my hypertension. Augie is our best pure pg by far.

9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Maybe. Watching the IQ ball connection he and Sengun have is pretty lit. Especially considering Sengun is very close to half his age. The pressure they put on defense with constant movement is impressive.

Wall only teaching Porter and Green how to be hurt. These guys need to soak up the game from a high IQ player instead of bonehead magoo John Wall.

10. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Isn't he same age as Durant? They both played for UT in the same year.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

He’s a floor general. Something we lack when he ain’t k the floor. The last couple of games(Orlando, Charlotte and OKC) when they made those runs in the late fourth all came right after he subbed out the game.

I watch the way he controls the game during critical possesion and can’t help but think that Wall just wouldn’t make those correct decision if it was him in that place. I love when he tours the paint and comes back out of it with the ball and hits a cutter or open perimter shooter with a drop-off pass. Wall would try to make the Franchise player play

hakeem94, D-rock and jayhow92 like this.
  12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

EGO can't really dribble or pass when under pressure.

So having him run point at the end is kind of bad. He is normally pretty good down the stretch as a catch and shoot or a 2 dribble drive guy. Anything else is a TO waiting to happen

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

DJ not Gordo should be the backup PG.

Not sure why Silas cannot comprehend this.

jch1911 and hakeem94 like this.
  14. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I love EG, but I do not enjoy watching him play the point at all.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Yeah if they aren’t gonna let Wall play then Augustine is the guy that should see ball handling duties at the end of games if the score is close.

He’s not prone to really bad turnovers and he can at least get the offense started.

16. T for 3

T for 3 Member

EG simply cannot drive and pass. When he drives, it takes all his energy to get downhill, he has no extra bandwidth.

D-rock, hakeem94 and eman like this.
  17. TimDuncanDonaut

Rockets org talks about having Wall come off the bench. But honestly, DJ is serving that vet role.

EG had a good game before getting ejected. DJ was quite good in his minutes; including feeding assisted 3's to guys like Garrison.

I don't think we should give Wall DJ's minutes. don't mess with a good thing

18. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

No worries. Walls ego won’t allow him to accept a lesser role than starting franchise player

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Augustin makes a lot of bad decisions for a floor general, but by contrast to us constantly using SGs as PG he is looking really solid because he has decent ball handling skills. We are on a 7 game winning streak with a ragtag band of rookies and flotsam. I'll just enjoy watching whoever is out there besides House.

20. eman

eman Contributing Member

If Silas starts Augie, Brooks, Mathews, Tate, and CWood Friday... I'll be pleased.

D-rock, verysimplejason and hakeem94 like this.