1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would your Rockets rebuild plan be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, Dec 8, 2021.

?

What would your Rockets rebuild plan be?

1. Lose, Lose, Lose let's emulate the Kings!

5.4%
  2. Let's be bad until we either dont have our own pick or we hit a homerun in free agency (Summer '24)

43.2%
  3. Simple: Play to win. Rinse and repeat

29.7%
  4. Talent acquisition phase complete. Let the kids learn and compete

18.9%
  5. Win now, win tomorrow, win forever. The draft is for b****es!

2.7%
  1. sydmill

sydmill Member

Sooo many threads these days are either overtly tank vs. compete, a proxy discussion of the same topic or just devolve into a the discussion. And, invariably, "tankers" get labeled as a crew of people who just want to lose into perpetuity acquiring draft picks that either bust or leave as soon as they are able to avoid the toxic environment created by the rebuild. So this thread is meant for those people to describe as detailed as they wish what their view of the Rockets' rebuild would look like. I also welcome those who would have the Rockets push for Ws now weigh in on how they would take the team to contender status (assuming you do not view them as there already). Go!

harold bingo likes this.
  2. sydmill

sydmill Member

My rebuild really lasts this season and next. After next offseason the Rockets’ do not own their own pick outright so continuing to build through the draft by the Rockets’ “earning” their own top pick is pointless. Additionally, that summer lines up with the Rockets salary cap being flexible enough to make a max offer or, possibly 2, to available free agents. So, here are my highlights:

2021/2022 season

Get the kids as much burn as possible. Learning if Green is a potential efficient league leading scorer type and whether KPJ can be a successful point guard are the two main questions to be answered. I also want to know what a Sengun/Garuba platoon at Center looks like moving forward as well as how Sengun functions with a more traditional PF next to him. Can Christopher be a playable combo guard forming a guard rotation with Green and KPJ? Finally, does Martin’s 3 pt shot return to the form from the end of last season?

2022/2023 season

The youth movement continues but with most of the young players having at least a season of experience. Rockets beat the bottom feeders of the league consistently and bat about .500 against the rest of the league. They make the play in game where they lose to a more seasoned team in an away game that provides the guys with their first “Big Game Experience”

2023/2024 season

Having added a max free agent to their young core the Rockets have a breakthrough season much like the Suns of a season ago. With the majority of their roster on cost controlled contracts they have flexibility to make continued moves to augment the team’s needs. In a break from NBA norms the Rockets begin to trade their Brk picks for future picks allowing them to create a minor league type team of up and comers in RGV as they have multiple FRPs in most drafts.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think "lets be bad" and "let the kids play" are the same thing, so I'm not sure which option to pick in the poll, but I do think we should play our young guys more, and the losing will take care of itself. Wait until we get someone who looks like he could be the best player on a championship team and then try to bring in FA's to fit around him. Not that we want to copy them exactly, I don't want people to jump all over me for this, but in terms of the process, I think the way Atlanta did it was good. They got Trae, they recognized what they had in him, and then they went after players who complement his playstyle(Capela, Gallinari). I think that's the right idea, wait until you have a guy that you think is "the guy" and build around him.

Until we have "the guy" we should continue to play and develop all our young players, and that should give us continually high draft picks.

Tuckankhamun and charlieaustin like this.
  4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Always 'Play to Win'!

Tanking offers no guarantees of talent - just look at the litany of draft busts over the years...

Otoh... if you are going to build a championship team - you have to build a culture. Sure, there are some teams that have been able to tank and then turn on a dime to the level of focus needed to win - but Silas aint no Pop.... Thats why I wanted JVG - i think that lil terrier can get a level of effort and respect out of his players that many cannot... let an assistant worry about the X's n O's - we've needed a true leader for decades!

You've gotta build the level of devotion, effort and self sacrifice among your players - and tanking is counterproductive to those ends....

If you're halfway through the season and got a bunch of injuries... then you may decide to play youth over the best chance of winning - but you're still expecting 100% effort from everybody on the floor... not sending your guys out there with the knowledge that you want them to lose...

Get a good mix of high character vets and youngsters and mold them into a team.

My expectation of any team i have ever supported has always been to 'do your best - and let the chips fall where they may...'

charlieaustin likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Select players that can help you right away and have enough potential for the future.

Go with players that can lead (must not be Patterson) (High efficiency shots)

Win couple games to not feel like a loser!

Scour International markets after Paus, Giannises, better Scolas, Jokers, Lukas, Manus, TPs.

#5 daywalker02, Dec 8, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Paolo

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1) Build time machine

2) Go back in time, woo Tilman's mom so that he is never born.

3) Rockets Prosper

8. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Play to win. I love the draft, but losing can be contagious after a while. That’s not a good organizational culture to develop.

ApacheWarrior, hakeem94 and kjayp like this.
  9. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Develop young players (Wood, KPJ, Tate, Green, Sengun, etc). If they fit within the plan then re-sign them. If not, trade them. Continue to build through draft.

10. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Thinly veiled "Treadmill > Tanking" tread.

If Green looked like Tatum, Howard, Young, or Doncic in their rookie years, I'd be much more enthused with winning ASAP. But as far as we know, he's a skinny guard with a broken jumpshot, you can't bet on that turning into your best player.

Give me the Italian Connection
    Give me the even more Minnesotan KG
    Give me those NBA bloodlines with Smith JR.

Sengun might be special, but betting on him turning into Jokic 2.0 isn't wise.

11. juanming

juanming Member

Trade wood and eg and house tomorrow

Porter
    Green
    Mathews
    Tate
    Sengun

Rebuild complete. Just need Silas and stone to get their heads out of their asses

dmoneybangbang and Tuckankhamun like this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't trust our front office to draft high in the draft after missing on Mobley, there are enough indicators in Jalen that they should have been worried....he is an elite athlete but his mechanics are screwed up, he is not a good ball handler, and he is very raw. He may yet develop into a monster but number 2 picks should be more SURE things than maybes...right now he could be a superstar, or a bust.

So, I am fine with letting our 4 Rookies develop and hope that one of them busts out - my money is on Sengun - then Green and Christopher, not a lot of hope for me for Garuba - just looks like a defender at most.

And let young players like KPJ and Wood develop, sprinkle in stellar role players like Tate, Mathews and Brooks and let them grow.

And if we end up drafting high again, ok, if not, ok....the fact that we got our best player in this draft in the teens - and many of the NBA superstars these days come from there - I am ok with......

I would be looking to move EGo & House, and obviously Wall.

DD

13. jch1911

jch1911 Member

My rebuild plan
    If Sac & Indiana really do move forward with "fire sales"
    (1) 3 team trade: HOU - SAC - IND
    IND: Eric Gordon (HOU) + Bagley III (SAC) + House (HOU) + Rockets 2023 1st round (top 5) protected (or 2022)
    SAC: J. Green (HOU) + Wall (HOU) + Theis (HOU) + Lamb (IND)
    HOU: Fox (SAC) + Turner (IND) + Hield (SAC) + Brissett (IND)

(2) Sign G$$$ / G3PO (Garrison Mathews) to a new deal (4 years, $8M) (& sign Kabengele to a 2 way contract)

That team finishes 9th seed, but loses in the 2nd play-in game. Players around the league are intrigued.

(3) 2022 Off-season - Bradley Beal or Jayson Tatum or Donovan Mitchell demands to be traded to Htown so they can be a leader & the final piece to a championship team.
    Houston sends Hield + Nwaba (possibly JayGup as well) + 3 FRPs (2023, 2025, 2027) for either of those 3 players preferably Tatum

2022 - 2023 Rockets

Swipa - Augustin (or other vet PG) - 2022 rookie
    Scoot - G3PO - Snipa
    Tatum - Tate - Brissett
    Turner - KMJ - Garuba
    CWood - Sengawd - Kabengele

(4) Ship

(5) Team that looks to compete year after year for Ships (gonna have to spend some of Tilman's LTS tho)
    Re-sign CWood + Turner + Scoot
    May have to let Tate walk
    I know some would say let Turner or CWood walk at that point and let Sengawd start, but a 3-headed monster big man rotation would enable us to continue to dominate

14. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Never got this train of thought, you don't trust Stone to draft high so you want him drafting low and developing stars out of throwaway trades, waver-wire pickups, and drafting out of the lottery?

One seems way harder than the other.

harold bingo and dmoneybangbang like this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

Hard pass.....

If you think top 3 picks should be sure things then you are don't know anything about drafting or the history of drafting.

16. dmoneybangbang

Good seeing the correct option, is the most popular option. :cool:

17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Win and develop as best you can. Draft the best players available for whatever draft picks you end up with. Retain contract flexibility until stars emerge.

18. sydmill

sydmill Member

On the contrary I am very much on the tear it down side. However, I think the Rockets were very fortunate to A) have one if the most valuable assets in James harden along with a stable if veteran role players to trade which jumpstarted the rebuild and b) to be rebuilding in years where the drafts have tier 1 talent so that this need not be a protracted process.

I am hoping that KPJ/Green/Christopher can show they are capable of soaking up most of the minutes at the 1 and 2. I like Tate and Martin at the 3 and I am banking on Sengun and Martin holding down the center position. That leaves the 4 where I think premium talent is in this draft. Adding Paolo, Chet, Jabari or Baldwin to these guys and just let them go. On top of that you've got the chance to add a max free agent to this core in the summer of 2024 and you're really cooking imo.

Tuckankhamun likes this.
  19. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

I agree that the rebuild should be done by 2024 (thanks to Tillboy for the WB trade). I agree with you in saying that this core could turn into something sooner than we think. I just disagree with calls to keep Gordon or Wood if we don't plan on signing him, I look up and down the roster and see 5, maybe 6 players that will be with us in 2024 when the rebuild concludes (Green, KPJ, J-Gup, Mathews, Sengun, maybe Garumba). Everyone else is either too old (Gordon, Augustin), not good enough at shooting (Tate, KJ) or simply lacks talent (House, Nwaba, Brooks). Winning with those guys does nothing for the young guns. Of course if the non-shooters learn to shoot, or Brooks evolves into a decent backup PG, then I take back those earlier statements.

Wood is interesting, I'd trade him if the right offer came, but it starts at three first round picks. We all saw how useful those can be in trading up for Sengun, and they could help us if Silver decides to hoe us over in the lottery.

sydmill likes this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

My target in the draft has been: Jabari Smith, AJ Griffin, Patrick Baldwin,
    Peyton Watson. I never saw us bad enough to be in range for Banchero/Chet.
    Brooks: is earning and learning. By seasons end will be good (better)
    Tate: showing facilitator presence. KJ Martin makes things happen.
    Wood? (more money with other team) only need for replacement beyond this year
    Sengun....Garuba have the center spot manned for years to come.

Edited: add Josh Christopher now that he is hitting 3's

We've got us a Playoff Team this year!!!!!! Yeah Baby baby!!!!!!!!

#20 ApacheWarrior, Dec 8, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2021