1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood expected to get "significant trade interest"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 29, 2021.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm confused at the thought processing of "lol why are we trading Wood only to wish our next lottery pick to end up be as good as Wood?" ...like...no...I'm wishing/hoping that our next lottery pick up ends up being a legit franchise player (e.g. better than Wood). If he's as good as Wood, great, we'll talk about long term strategies if that happens. If he ends up busting, well that happens more often than not when the odds of you landing an All-Star in the Top 5 is around 20%. If he ends up being a legit franchise player then all is well and the pick(s) you acquire to put yourself in a position to draft said franchise player becomes warranted.

2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

What’s your point? Our team is incredibly young.

3. dmoneybangbang

What’s your point with the Wood post?

4. Houston77

Supporting Member

Considering this is a Christian Wood thread, my post about Christian Wood was pretty fitting IMO.

5. dmoneybangbang

And Wood has looked better with more spacing and a softer schedule.

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

And I don't care. He's not a franchise guy. And I'll be highly surprised if he's ever a franchise guy. And again, I'm not sure he's a top 50 player but if he is, he's toward the back of that list. I really don't think he's more than a third best guy on a Championship team. I've seen some people suggest he is not a winning player, but I do think he's good enough to be a top 3 player on a contender.

Corrosion and charlieaustin like this.
  7. Williamson

Yeah. The only way I can even make sense of that narrative is that they think Wood is better than he is. Do they think he is a franchise player?

Corrosion and steddinotayto like this.
  8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That's what I was thinking after I submitted my post...like maybe these guys/gals really think Wood is a franchise cornerstone player. I mean there's no other logical reason to say "lol good luck drafting/finding a kid that will be one day as good a Christian Wood"....like what? It's as if you sent me back 2009-2010 and I said "If we can trade Kevin Martin for a high draft pick I think we should do it" and I get back responses like "lol why trade Kevin Martin when that high draft pick might not be as good as Martin? Or, better yet, can only BE as good as Martin?" Like, no, I want a high draft pick for a chance at an elite player, not at the chance to draft someone who, at best, is a 4th or 3rd best player on an elite team.

juanming likes this.
  9. Houston77

Supporting Member

Disagree to some degree. I think it’s pretty clear that, with the right lineups, Wood is a 20/10 guy who can create great space given his high 3 point percentage. That’s a top 25 guy right there IMO, and the type that can open things up for others. Now, is he a franchise player you build around? I don’t know, but he could be if he continues his 23+ / 13+ playing. More likely, he’s a great number two, and I think there’s a strong chance one of KPJ, Green, or Sengun will end up being a “franchise” guy.

ipaman likes this.
  10. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Wood is a really good player. Without good players around him making him better, he gets exposed sometimes. I believe he is a great building block for the Rockets. Maybe not a franchise guy but a great talent nonetheless.

ipaman and NewAge like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

show me
    1 your post from 2014 where you predicted draymond green can be 3rd best player on a championship team...

2 the post where you predicted middleton can be 2nd best player on championship team when detroit traded him away as a salary filler

3 your post just before bucks traded 3 picks for jrue predicting he can be 3rd best player on a championhip team...
    [​IMG]
    ps @Williamson
    this challenge of mine also refers to you

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

also before trading wood you should fire silas or show me the proof he can be a championship coach...

because under a championship coach players look different...you may trade away diamonds not even knowing who they are because your coach doesnt have a slightest idea how to unlock them....
    @Williamson
    @steddinotayto
    ps
    [​IMG]

13. Williamson

I don't want to say that 20/10 is meaningless. It's an accomplishment for sure. But there have been a boat load of 20/10 guys in the history of the NBA that never contributed to winning in a meaningful way. Guys like Shareef Abdur-Rahim jump to mind. David Lee is another. And they are especially common to find on cellar dwelling teams. I just feel like Wood is tissue soft, injury prone and doesn't have it in him to be a go-to guy. Also not particularly impressed with him defensively.

And to be a top 25 guy in the NBA means that of all 30 teams, NOBODY has a second best player better than you and there are 5 teams in which you'd be the best player. Well I can point to at least a half a dozen teams that have 2-3 guys that are better than him, so that's just not even close to possible.

Even when I look at the teams with worse records than us:

Pelicans: Zion is clearly a superior player. And Brandon Ingram is basically the same level of player.
    OKC: Shai Gilgeous Alexander is better.
    Pistons: Jerami Grant is a similar caliber player.

Leaving the Magic as the only other team in which he'd be the clear cut best player on the team.

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol a franchise player is a concept so outdated and lame
    you gather a group of fine players and you play and win it all....
    you can not expect to play sucessful basketball if you do all the average stuff all average teams do
    we have found nice star player in wood and you keep him, YOU KEEP HIM AND RUN AWAY WITH HIM... if hes not an absolute lockeroom cancer

15. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

None of the tanking 5 teams are giving up their FRP for Wood so you will not be getting a Top 5 pick in return so what are you even arguing about??

You are arguing that we give up Wood to some mediocre team to get their 14th pick with a 5% chance of being an allstar vs Wood who probably has a 50% chance of being an allstar?? Yeah that math doesn't make sense.

The reason to trade him would be to hope you get multiple 14th picks with low chances of succeeding because you think Wood will not improve and or you don't like what he is currently and/or don't want to pay him. That's the only reason, no one is landing a top 5 pick by trading CWood.

juanming likes this.
  16. juanming

juanming Member

Forum might be drunk after all these wins. I'll prove it:

1. You got the same people saying keep wood at center

2.also saying "why isn't Silas starting sengun"

3. Same people "sengun isn't a pf he's a center"

Bizarre. Unless you want sengun to play small forward or wood to play pf , then one has to leave.

Can't achieve all points (1/2/3) of post .. it's impossible. Unless you want to go back to the two center lineup which is disastrous for spacing.

Pick one

Trade wood

Or trade sengun

Sengun isn't and shouldn't accept a bench role and going into next year

Wood also has glass ankles. Better cash in before he gets injured and the rest of the league figures it out.

I would have traded wood yesterday to be honest.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Is Wood a star player? Or is he the player showcased on a bad team?
    Not sure about it honestly.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

LOL Intelectual dishonesty, dissing wood for being injury prone then listing zion as a better player....now zion is a poster boy for injury prone and problematic guy!!....i wouldnt have traded wood for zion straight up or even if given picks just to take him.....lolololol

19. juanming

juanming Member

I know you're a big fan of sengun like me. We disagree on wood. So are you suggesting we start sengun at pf next to Wood? I might be down with that but I don't think Silas is smart enuff to use it probably. Silas isn't pops.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

No, he wouldn't. One, because Theis doesn't get many minutes, and two, because he's not House. In our offense House is more of a guard on offense. He stretches the floor and hunts threes.

That's not Garuba's game. If he's in, it'll be a "two big lineup." I think Sengun can handle that, but Wood won't work well with him. I'm fine with trying it, but that's been the gripe for weeks now.