1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amazon] The Wheel of Time tv series

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Jun 19, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You're brilliant, no bad eyesight.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What I hoped GOT would have - arcane magic.

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

GOT was always much more dark fantasy than high fantasy, think Malazan Book of the Fallen with far less magic involved due to the dragons being connected to it and yet scarce, whereas WOT has always tried much closer in tone to LOTR.

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yule C.

House of the Dragon Prequel.

clos4life likes this.
  5. clos4life

clos4life Member

That will be interesting to see how much magic they actually include.

6. dmoneybangbang

Finished episode 4...

[​IMG]

jiggyfly, Rashmon, primtim24 and 3 others like this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Just caught up. First three were kinda bland because the dragon candidates still sucked and for whatever reasons they all had completely different landscapes after a few day's walk...

Don't really mind the rainbow washing. Just think random teleportation portals that don't work anymore.

I mean up until 10-15 years ago, the reality is white people were cast for all races without much complaint even if the source material had a different ethnicity. I'm not sure if people got hung up by all the Blacks in Hamilton, maybe they did or maybe they grew to like the minority cast that mostly got their first big break from that play. So it is political and whatever...

Also 1000 years might not be enough time if there are racial based hierarchies. Latin America still all over the place after 500 years.

Ofc that kind of embedded racism won't be included in the lore unless the author intends it.

#147 Invisible Fan, Nov 28, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  8. Invisible Fan

BTW, not digging the costume design for the locals. The sweater looked like something you get at Abercrombie. Peasant wear looked cheap and mass manufactured, without a set theme or time period

The sorceress wear wasn't distracting but could use more detail or finishing touches

Trollocs got a passing mark though.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watched episode 4 last night, finally. Really really enjoyed it. I would agree with others that said this was the best episode yet. I'm already liking Nynaeve and Rand more, which is good. Really enjoyed them expanding on the relationship between warders and Aes Sedai as well as giving a little more info on how the one power works between women/men. Logaine was fun if not a bit over the top.

The scene with Mat and the Fade was brilliantly creepy. The way he pointed the dagger up at the darkness and said "I see you" was perfect and I very much look forward to seeing how they portray the dagger's effect on him in future episodes. Very dark scene (literally and figuratively).

Side note: back in the day for GoT we had separate threads for discussion for those that had read the books versus those that hadn't. It helped to avoid people being tempted to read spoilers. I'm not sure we have enough discussion on this show yet to warrant that, so I'll just put my book related comments in spoiler tags.

I really enjoyed the expanded Logaine stuff. All of that basically happened off-page in the first book and it didn't involve any of our main characters (like Nynaeve). It was a nice way to fill out the show while still being mostly true to the books. I personally haven't read much beyond when Logain's gentling gets healed, so it would be cool if part of what they added in the episode 4 is setting up things I haven't even read yet.

I was a little put off by the display of power that Nynaeve shows in that scene. I know in the books she reaches a point where she basically matches a Forsaken in power for a short time because she just gets that angry, but it feels a little early to be going to that well in the series. I guess they are trying to compress things a bit.

Thom feels a bit too morose for me. In the books he had moments of seriousness but typically seemed to be mostly peppy and fun, as one would expect a gleeman to be. In the show even when he was performing as a gleeman it was a sad song he played. Maybe they'll expand on that side of him later when he re-appears.

The actress that is playing Liandrin is NAILING it. I really think she was a brilliant bit of casting and that will pay off even more later when it is revealed who she really serves.

From the first 3 episodes I didn't really like how they visualized the channeling, but in the case of episode 4 it worked really well to visually depict the struggle of keeping Logaine shielded. I guess there will be pros and cons with that approach.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  10. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yeah, this show is good and getting better.

Yet, it somehow has a 55 on metacritic. Meanwhile the god awful Sex Lives of College Girls has a 71. MSM Entertainment critics have gotten more and more out of touch ever since the Last Jedi.

11. Invisible Fan

It's set up like GoT without the sexpositions. Seems like it takes gratuitous nudity and potty jokes to keep peoples attentions.

Heck I'd give it an extra star if that happened.

But yeah, them obliquely talking about magic colors during the prison scene a bit vague for non-book readers.

clos4life likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

BORING.

DD

Deckard likes this.
  13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Really strange episode. They’ve accelerated Rand and Mat’s journey to Tar Valon but then spent the entire episode focusing on the Aes Sedai warder bond with way too much emotion from Lan and Moiraine.

JayZ750 likes this.
  14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I've trudged through 3 now. I guess it's okay, but it's a paint-by-the-numbers story so far. And it's obviously not made for my generation, though not as offensively so as some recent shows in the genre. The rainbow casting hasn't bothered me, except that now I keep saying, 'why did they make that guy white?'

Rocket River likes this.
  15. clos4life

clos4life Member

Good episode but somehow feels more like a setup episode for next week's episode. I don't disagree with their choices regarding concentration on Aes Sedai and Warder bonds since they hadn't truly explained it but I found myself instead wanting more Loial time. Turns out to be a great casting choice and I expected him to suck a bit after internet spoilers.

I guess no Elyas after all. I was hoping that he would somehow show up this week, but a little disappointing. Not a major character but enjoyed his Wolfbrother explanations to Perrin, right now the wolves feel random in the TV show

Rocket River, Xerobull and JayZ750 like this.
  16. Invisible Fan

I want to love this show, but there's no way I'll continue watching this at 1x speed. i get they gotta compress lore and worldbuilding, but not enough to keep an ADHD's attention

Also, the grey castle interior's green screen look like compressed videogame backgrounds at high res. I guess I'm spoiled with marvel/Mando LED background sets or GoT on-site castles.

It's alright for tv but Amazon might not be settling just for tv.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Reading these posts about different characters proves one thing for me. I barely remember the books at this point anymore.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I will say I am enjoying the show though and will keep watching. There is a ton of potential down the line.

clos4life and Xerobull like this.
  19. PhiSlammaJamma

This will be an interesting film study, because it's obvious they have a great story, but they are presenting it all wrong. Similar challenges with Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, and Star Wars, where they had all this huge backstory and lore, but they were able to bypass it successfully and tell a chunk of the story. One did it with a scrawl, some did it with exposition tricks, and then there is the wheel, which doesn't quite seem to know how to do it. There was little to no payoff in this episode because we had almost no reason to care, in much the same way we had no understanding of why he tried to break the cage after she died. It did help me understand the situation and relationship, which now is obvious, but it was either too late or too early to work.

#159 PhiSlammaJamma, Dec 4, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It is aight but nothing special
    nothing standing out
    Still trying to figure out who is who
    I could be wrong but it felt since the beginning the near blond white guy was going to be THE ONE
    (story telling plus experience watch these shows. . .no way was it going to be Perrin or Mat . . ..
    and I understand it has to be male)
    and he is kind of a boring character

Even their action feels. . . .sedated

Rocket River