1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is anyone else terrified of a win streak?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HROZ, Mar 31, 2021.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has a point, and you have a point, I think your point is a tad stronger when the draft is obviously crazy good at the top.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I get your point, but giving out temporary bans in a forum where everyone can state their opinion is like banning NBA players because they foul a little too much or being too inefficient.

aaquaa and steddinotayto like this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

it was half serious, half joking but i agree; there have been worst things said on this forum during my 20+ years here than "We can find an MVP in the 2nd round like Denver did with Jokic. No need for high picks"

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Imagine arguing in favour of deliberately losing games and still thinking you have a leg to stand on in an argument about sports?

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

The data posted was regardless of draft and it’s still pretty clear.

There are no certainties in team building only better odds.

6. dmoneybangbang

Imagine being so narrow minded you can’t see the forest through the trees.

7. dmoneybangbang

I think some folks just can’t handle a rebuild so they come up with excuses.

DatRocketFan and steddinotayto like this.
  8. steddinotayto

I guess to be fair, most of us haven't experienced the franchise being this bad since the organization tanked (sorry anti-tankers) for Hakeem. After the Olajuwon era we got a short Stevie Franchise era that quickly turned into the Yao era which then turned into the Yao/Tmac era and, after a few seasons of mediocrity, we were blessed with the Harden era. So maybe the pathway or timeline for our way back to being a good team is skewed because we were back in the thick of things only after 2-3 years of being mediocre/bad. I mean I was only 2 when the Rockets drafted Hakeem so I never witnessed historically bad Rockets teams before but, as an NBA fan, you have to understand that these rebuilds will take some time.

DaDakota likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They think that they picked the best talent before need but the thing is that talent is flawed and getting stacked up at one position is not the solution.

A lot of times need and talent go hand in hand, they just picked the extremist way.

Pick a balanced player for a change.

It is not either Green or Patrick Patterson, you could get someone being ready and got enough talent.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You could be talking about some of the GM's picks in the past.

The Poster can only argument one way but the next step as a poster is to understand multiple positions, multiple points.

11. conquistador#11

It's just as difficult as finding a franchise qb.
    As long as they stay within the 1-12 selection.

12. dmoneybangbang

The poster is arguing against high draft picks in the context of the Rockets rebuild.

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

How the Wizards let him go confounds me.

Corrosion likes this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

True but this isn’t some new concept or something we haven’t watched other teams do.

15. alethios

alethios Member

Yep, Presti looked like a genius at one time because he had a team with Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka and Harden.

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i raise you butler, gobert isaah thomas, steph curry klay thompson, donovan mitchel, chris middleton, devin booker, sengun

not lucky but knowlegable, smart and cunning...great players are as much developed as they are found...

1 you need to know to recognize talent to be able to draft well in midpicks
    2 need a culture to develop
    3 need negotiation skills to get them to sign for less to be able to attract other stars
    4 trade skills to trade higher picks for more of lower picks since the later are more valuable to you because yo know what you doing

the talent pool is wider now than 50 years ago....now its the whole world and before was just america and foreign students in america, besides foreigners are now trusted in nba, before it was very hard to get opportunity for a foreigner however talented...

more superstar in higher picks can also be a consequence of the confirmation bias ie false belief in higher picks causing higher picks to get more PT, public and refs support and more second chances so they are naturally more prone to developing into superstars...something that we clearly see now with SENGUN

green being treated like a royalty, more PT, more freedom, regardless of shitty play, and sengun like a peasant....of course higher picks develop into better players even tho they posses not inherently better characteristics because they are treated like that... there is a known phenomenon in psychology about this i forgot how its called....

17. steddinotayto

And I agree with this as well, however, just like most things in life we don't know the true impact of things until it hits closer to home. The hope is that the rebuild will get us a competitive team with our young players growing into all-star level talent in a few years and not the current mess we see in Sacramento where their rebuild has been ongoing for I don't know how long now.

18. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Imagine thinking this team deliberately lost games and isn’t horrible :eek:

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Kings have no winning culture, yes, the Adelman Kings fought the Shaq Lakers as hard as they could but apart from that, nada zilch.

The Rockets have that, nothing in the range of GSW or the Spurs but they already won 2 championships, the current management is just slightly above average IMO.

At worst they are still better than the Kings.

The picks should still be good enough to compete for the Playoffs in the next years.

Do you think Greatness can be caught in a bottle just like that?

20. dmoneybangbang

And? Those players are included in the graph that was posted and the odds are still the best in top 3?

LOL. You can have all the knowledge in the world and it doesn't matter if the player you want gets picked ahead.

Also the Rockets have drafted well with their mid round picks, many are on playoff teams.

I'm not really sure what you are arguing? That we should focus more on mid round picks than these few years where we have our picks before giving them to OKC?