1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WAPO OPINION PIECE] The NBA pitches itself as progressive. But its stars won’t talk about vaccines.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Gioan Baotixita

You and I we are Floridians. We have been enjoying our freedoms and free from a lot of the bullshiet that Brandon and the left are pushing. If you called yourself a Republican, why can you get on board? I have relatives that are in blue states, particularly the ones in California, the sufferings that caused by the demonic Dems are real.

#81 Gioan Baotixita, Dec 2, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  2. Gioan Baotixita

If I were you just switch party already. This is America, you can do what you want as long as it is legal. There is no shame in that, so you don’t have to deal with people like the Trumpers and such. FYI, I have never registered as a Republican, I always voted for the individual. I have made several mistakes ie: Clinton, the Bushes, McCain and Romney. I will never do that again. If a candidate does not have the balls to stand for conservative values, I will write in John The Baptist on my ballot.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So far in my Florida life, I have had the opportunity to participate in one Federal election. I have voted for every Republican federal office holder I have had the opportunity to.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The graph, the questions, the methodology, and the interpretation of the data. As a former marketing researcher, I can tell you that this research was done by morning consultant more for brand building / PR than in service of a client or actual insight. I'm surprised they came up with the conclusion they did.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Is Brandon the new Berry for you guys?

The Demonic Libs are gonna getcha!

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I yield since I don't know too much about this area.

Here is another way to look at this (vaccine hesitancy over time and the top reasons for 18+). The core (definitely not / antivax you may say) is not going to change their mind. Of the other groups (probably not to probably), there was a big drop in hesitancy from Jan to May'21 and small changes from May to Oct'21. Most of these folks were just buying time - waiting it out to see if it's safe. I would think celebrities endorsement has very little said so on this; time to see more safety data was the main factor. As of today, there is only about 2-3% that might change their mind. Their top reasons are still waiting to see if safe/concerned about side effects. Again, I doubt any celebrities endorsement would impact this 2-3%. Only time will if it even does.

Overall
    Jan 2021 - 45% hesitancy, 51% concern about side effects, 50% plan to wait and see if it's safe, 28% think other people need it more
    May 2021 - 21% hesitancy, 51% side effects, 44% plan to wait and see if it's safe, 32% don't trust vaccine
    Oct 2021 - 15% hesitancy, 55% side effects, 45% don't trust vaccine, 40% don't trust government

Definitely NOT (getting the vaccine)
    Jan 2021 - 8%, 47% don't trust vaccine, 46% side effects, 38% don't trust gov
    May 2021 - 7% 55% don't trust vaccine, 48% side effects, 46% don't trust gov
    Oct 2021 - 8%, 63% don't trust vaccine, 57 % side effects, 55% don't trust gov
    < hasn't change and there is no reason to think it will change >

Probably NOT (getting the vaccine)
    Jan 2021 - 13%, 56% plan to wait and see if it's safe, 53% side effects
    May 2021 - 4%, 52% side effects, 49% plan to wait and see if it's safe
    Oct 2021 - 3%, 54% side effects, 41% plan to wait and see if it's safe
    < drastically reduced from Jan but almost no change since May, ~50% of these folks were just waiting to see if it's safe >

Unsure (getting the vaccine)
    Jan 2021 - no data
    May 2021 - 6%, 65% plan to wait and see if it's safe, 56% side effects
    Oct 2021 - 3%, 57% plan to wait and see if it's safe, 48% side effects
    < 3% change since May, > ~60% of the folks were just waiting to see if it's safe >

Probably (getting the vaccine)
    Jan 2021 - 24%, 56% plan to wait and see if it's safe, 53% side effects
    May 2021 - 4%, 50% plan to wait and see if it's safe, 48% side effects
    Oct 2021 - 2% 49% plan to wait and see if it's safe, 43% side effects
    < drastically reduced from Jan but a slight change since May, ~50% of these folks were just waiting to see if it's safe >

How Do COVID-19 Vaccination and Vaccine Hesitancy Rates Vary Over Time? (census.gov)

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

NBA players do a lot of good things off the court, more than most athletes or people in general. Them having bad stances on vaccines and China doesn't mean they don't do good things in other areas. Just means they could do more. Not doing 100% of things right doesn't mean you don't do a lot of good things

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Basically surveys are very bad when asking people about hypotheticals (would this influence you) because the nature of what influences us is not what we realize and we are biased. Furthermore, the study shows a consistent 2-3% difference - if a celebrity can shift 2-3% of people that can add up to big numbers and is significant. Finally, they are asking about a "generic celebrity" not someone who is known to be an influencer.

If Hakeem Olajuwon came out and talked about how important it is to get vaccinated along with Altuve, and JJ Watts, a lot more Houstonians will be influenced than says people in California.

Yes, celebrities have influence, but their influence varies and depends on a lot of factors.

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

one word:

Kardashians

10. Gioan Baotixita

They’ve already gotten us. Time to break free and head towards the lights.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

There is a bigger issue. I didn't see this till today. An hour earlier on the news before I saw it there was a report about young blacks being vaccine hesitant. I guess moreso than young people in general

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

NBA just ran a commercial during the Rockets pregame about how for 75 years the NBA has been all about activism and social change. But the commercial didn't mention vaccines

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't know about just young black, but for 18+, Black was indeed more vaccine-hesitant up to June. Since June, White hold that title. By Oct, vaccine hesitancy (definitely not or probably not get covid vaccine) among races:

White: 12%
    Hispanic: 10%
    Black: 9%
    Asian: 4%

(Curiously, mixed race is 16%)

How Do COVID-19 Vaccination and Vaccine Hesitancy Rates Vary Over Time? (census.gov)