1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood expected to get "significant trade interest"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 29, 2021.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is how the NBA works, many players get the max that we probably think don't deserve it, but it isn't our money - and if someone is willing to pay the max, then they are worth it.

RE: Timelines

Championships are won with a roster of people on DIFFERENT timelines, some veterans, some prime players and some rookies.....not everyone has to be the same age.

DD

2. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

lets not forget he was in the lineup against the bulls...and that the PLAY STYLE has changed from 2 bigs to one...also this yr is all about development..he's 19....CONTEXT MATTERS

burlesk and D-rock like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

I dont disagree but ... your fascination with Hitler is getting downright creepy.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Not gonna argue , they have looked bad with two bigs ..... BUT , how much of that was the two bigs and how much of it was the guys around them just not making shots - Open Shots - and in fact the two bigs had the two highest 3 point shooting percentages of the starting 5.

C-Wood 34.4%
    Daniel Theis 30.4%
    KPJ 30.3%
    Jalen Green 27%
    Tate 25%.

That's 4 non shooters ..... all shooting green light.

They've exchanged Theis 30% and Green's 27% shooting with EG 43% & Mathews 39.1% in the last couple games ..... the results being 3 straight W's.

I don't think the question is answered .... is the two big lineup broken or was it the piss poor shooting around them ?

5. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I like picks but if we go picks we can't make the mistake Boston made and OKC are currently making. The extra picks have to be packaged to move up. Like if we end up with like the 3rd pick, package it with 3 other future or later 1sts to move to 1. Boston was passive and ended up with barely NBA guys like Grant Williams, Nesmith, Langford, Edwards etc. Those picks should be viewed as currency not to actually be picked.

6. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yeah, I mean you take out your worst two players you get a bit better. This was not as much big/small it’s more of a bad/OK

Corrosion, raining threes and aaquaa like this.
  7. jch1911

jch1911 Member

This is a VERY important point... I think many expect him (and his agent) to ask for the max, but we don't even know if that will be his ask yet.

The FO may have a clue about his demands tho....

palmsnbananas likes this.
  8. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

No way I pay him that much, the question I think is 25-32 mil how much are we willing to pay.

I think if you trade him you prob aren’t getting fair value in return, and you’ll never find a floor spacing center again.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

THIS^^^^

Plus playing the 2 bigs in wrong roles.

Wood at the 5 opens up this offense while Theis at the 5 stifled it.

Wood is also better rim protector than Theis.

Silas just got so many things wrong.

10. dmoneybangbang

I would say the Wood/Theis lineup was broken.

11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I really think you are confusing yourself. I didn't think I had to state who was our best player but if you have been watching the games and I'm sure you have been but obviously it's C-Wood. And I thought by illustrating the age gap between him and our younger players it was clear that the Rockets are within a timeline to win a Championship with their current core; Wood, Green, Porter, Sengun and others.

The below part of your analogy I did not understand and I would like for you elaborate.

"Timelines are attached to players. The young guys fit Woods championship timeline, but he doesn't fit theirs. A timeline is cannot be detached from the player(s) you are trying to build around, which is what you keep suggesting. Timeline is not independent of which players have the talent. And you keep saying it is."

However, all I've said from the start is ALL OF OUR PLAYERS FIT INTO A TIMELINE OF WINNING A CHAMPIONSHIP. Many people single out Wood and say he does not fit our timeline and I'm saying he does, since he does not have the NBA mileage of his peers....He's just now getting started! And to better illustrate my timeline analogy, Phoenix went to the Championship just last year with a young guard in Devin Booker and a PG who is in his mid 30's, they are 10yrs apart.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have not seen this at all not saying he is a liability but he is not great at defending the perrimeter.

13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I've seen it. I think he defends well. He's been improving. I think his problem has been putting the ball on the court in traffic

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok.

15. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Teams win championships when their best player is in their prime, that is pretty much always how it works. If you go back and look at the last 30 or 40 years, almost every single championship is won when the best player on the team is in their prime, aka playing at their best, which is usually a period that lasts from age 26-32 or so. This is why people constantly ask the question "do you think he can be the best player on a championship team?" when evaluating star players. If you're a freak of nature like Lebron your prime can extend into your mid and even late 30s, but that's a crazy outlier and not the norm.

So when I talk about Wood's timeline, that would mean the championship window for a team where Christian Wood is the best player. That means you win a championship when Wood is at his absolute peak, that's when you decide, as a franchise, to go all in. If you do this when Wood is in his late 20s, that means all our young guys will probably be right around the age where they're really starting to develop (assuming it works out and we hit on our picks) into solid NBA starters, really good pieces. The 22-25 age bracket. There are a lot of examples I can think of where teams did something like this, including the one you gave with the Lakers. Also Kyrie with Lebron, Siakam/FVV with Kawhi, etc. This is a method that we have seen work many times.

But if you look at Jalen/Sengun/KPJ/(Paolo/Chet)'s timeline, that's a totally different timeline. When are these players going to be good enough to be the best player on a championship team? How long is that going to take, and what kind of player is Wood going to be then? Is Wood going to be a part of the team if we win a core when that team is all in their prime? When those guys are in their late 20s, how good is Christian Wood going to be? And even if he is good or even great, are the financials going to make it harder (or impossible) to surround your guys with the necessary talent to win the title?

So that's what I mean when I say different players have different timelines. It is definitely possible for it to work out, but it's unlikely. There aren't a lot of championship teams that were built this way. And for the record I think your suggestion that this team could win a championship in 2-3 years is ridiculous. Has there ever been a team in the history of the NBA that won a championship when 3 of their best 4 players were under 23?

furyn likes this.
  16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Dude

I really didn't even read your response but my thoughts are simple. Our core players are in a timeline to develop a Championship team moving forward.

#416 hlmbasketball, Dec 1, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  17. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Well, so much for that.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not with those glass ankles of his.

WEAR SOME HIGH TOPS for crying out loud.

DD

TimDuncanDonaut and ak99999 like this.
  19. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

How much is he worth with no ankle ligaments?

20. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You literally asked me to elaborate and then your response is that you didn't read my post? Go **** yourself.